1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What ups, from Sacramento, CA & NorCal Bay Area!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by G1Reflector_949, Sep 25, 2013.

1. G1Reflector_949

G1Reflector_949 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    What ups, from Sacramento, CA & NorCal Bay Area!

Been following a lot of mirrorless camera news, tips & general stories for a while and since I'm a OM-D E-M5 user, this seemed like a great place to register and get some insight into all things MFT.

To give a quick intro into my camera history... I've had a relatively renewed interest in photography thanks to a good buddy who started talking about getting a new camera last year... talks continued and eventually I got excited about getting a new camera of my own.

Originally, was going to get a Canon or Nikon (typical, huh?)... almost did, but last minute cancelled my order and decided to go Fuji with the X100 & X10.

In the end, at the beginning of this year (2013), I finally decided to sell my Fuji's & dive into MFT and get the E-M5. I started out with the 12-50mm kit lens and the very excellently priced 45mm f/1.8 lens, as well.

I'll quickly say that I am glad to make the move to MFT and the E-M5 system. It is super capable with many great options, there's nothing I don't think I can't do with the E-M5.

I really want to upgrade and get the new E-M1. The reason I want to upgrade isn't because I believe the IQ will be so much better... from as many reviews I have read so far has suggested, the E-M1 has better IQ & files, but if you're not knit picking, you really won't feel like you're missing anything significant by sticking with the E-M5. No, I mainly want to upgrade to the E-M1 for it's improved handling and functionality and features. The button layout is overall much improved (though the on/off could have been placed in a better spot on the right hand side), there is much more accessible functions and options at the finger tips than ever before (or most any other cameras), the buffer is larger, I'm sure saving & processing should be more efficient as well, and the new, large, bright & crisp EVF sounds like a real pleasure to view through and frame your images. Lastly, improved AF, especially in C-AF), is always welcomed in any camera... focus peaking for MF would also be of great assistance to fine tune focus lock faster.

Other than really wanting to seek out the improved handling and tangible performance enhancements of the E-M1, I may comfortably hold back and wait until the time & $$ is right to upgrade.

The E-M5 is more than capable of fulfilling my current camera needs as the setup and gear I have right now. Getting a nicer camera won't make me a better photographer, I just need to work with an already great camera system. If I keep challenging myself and develop my own style and improve my skills, a nicer camera in the end would be the icing on the cake.

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    G1Reflector_949, welcome aboard!

Regards,

Jim

3. solidsnake

solidsnake Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    welcome aboard!

apparently we have a good amount of bay area residents in this forum. good or bad thing i cant say. :p

welcome once again! we hope you stick around and share some images as well!