1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What UHS-II cards are you using in your EM1-2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by FarFromSane, Apr 10, 2018.

1. FarFromSane

FarFromSane Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 28, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    My wife has bought me a new EM-1 Mark 2. (Yowza!)
    Now I'm looking for some UHS-II cards to use.

I've found a sale on the Sony M Series cards, 100MB Write/200 Read
    Will this keep up with ProCapture ?

• Wow Wow x 1
  2. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    I've been trying the Prograde SDXC UHS-II 64gb card from the guys who used to be Lexar. The 2-pack was $99.99, which I thought was a pretty good deal. So far so good.

3. DrNuy

DrNuy Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2018
    France
    - Yes with Lexar pro 64 Gb 300 Mb/s 2000x
    See also:
    Olympus E-M1 II SD Card Speed Comparison Test - Fastest UHS-II and UHS-I Memory Cards by Write Speed and Continuous Shooting Results in the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards

"To nobody, except those who will take pleasure here" (Franz Schubert, 1797-1828)

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I use Lexar Pro 2000x UHS II cards. They are superb and just work. Write speed is about the best you'll get and so will give you longer bursts. I usually shoot stuff that moves at 10fps (anything faster just generates way too many images) and even using raw, the buffer never seems to fill up.

5. RichardC

RichardC Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 25, 2018
    Sutton Coldfield, UK.
    Not sure about your cards but if you ever find your wife surplus to requirements could you drop me a line please? Not yet though - I've already got the EM1.2

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Do you use the same type of card in both slots or do you go with a UHS I card in the second slot?
    Also, what are the thoughts on using the micro SD cards in the 2nd slot. Here in Canada the best priced cards are those micro SD cards, found at Costco. Unfortunately I don’t think they offer the regular SD sized cards.
    Should you keep the size of the cards the same?
    I just picked up two Lexar 1000 UHS II cards from Henry’s on the weekend but was thinking that would be the primary card for slot 1 and swap it out on alternating days on trips, but also find a solution for slot two that would be compatible... or does that matter?

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I use a slower speed card in slot 2 since it's really only there for emergencies and in any case it's only UHS I (as I'm sure you know). OTOH, I also use the Lexar 2000x in my Pen-F since it definitely delivers better performance even though the Pen only has UHS I support.

Size doesn't matter from a performance PoV.

As regards micro SD - you can get adapters, but I don't know whether the adaptors fully support UHS II or not.

8. Thanks Paul. Yup... I was thinking more of the UHS I in the 2nd slot, and if microSD worked there it might be an option. Costco sells the microSD with the SD carrier for much less than other stores right now... and afaik they are SanDisk, a brand I have used exclusively up til the lexar purchase the other day.

9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I guess I'm one of the conservative types & use the Sandisk Extreme Pro 300MB/s SDHC II (32GB) SD card in slot 1 for Pro Capture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I use a Sandisk Extreme Pro 300MB/s SDHC II (64GB) SD in slot 1 and a Lexar Professional 150MB/s 1000x (64GB) in slot 2. I like the fact that I can use slot 2 card in slot 1 if I need to.

11. ArizonaMike

ArizonaMike Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 19, 2018
    Arizona, USA
    Slot 1 is UHS-II compatible, but slot 1 is only UHS-I compatible so I use flash cards accordingly. I have a Sony Extreme Pro 64GB card in slot 1 and a Lexar 633x card in slot 2. I have slot 1 dedicated to RAW and slot 2 dedicated to jpgs so the speed difference should even out.

I used to use a Lexar 32GB 2000x card in slot 1 but had compatibility issues so when I upgraded to 64GB I changed to Sony.

12. Baenwort

Baenwort Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2017
    Wisconsin, USA
    I use the same card in both slots as I like the dual saving of images so I'm limited to UHS-I.

I did get a pair of Lexar UHS-II cards so that I can swap them without care and so that if one goes down I can stick the one still working in Slot 1 and keep chugging along until the shoot is over. Or until I can get my hands on a replacement card.

13. Matt Drown

Matt Drown Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2015
  14. FarFromSane

FarFromSane Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 28, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    I was looking at the Lexar 2000 and 1000's as they are the recommended ones at cameramemoryspeed.com.
    But the 1000's are hard to find in stock at the moment and the 2000's are crazy expensive.
    Henry's has the Sony UHS-II M cards on sale. They seem comparable to the Lexar 1000's ... I will probably give them a try in slot 1.

Not sure how I'm going to use both slots. At the moment, I'm leaning to mirroring

15. paul macro

paul macro Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2011
    I have been using lexar 64gb uhs 2 x2000 but this is now falling apart so i can not recommend them entirely although it was working perfectly until it started to break up i am now purchasing a sandisk uhs 2 64 gb although slightly more expensive i may trust it more not to fall apart .I also have 2 sony uh2 cards lower tier versions m series in my g9 and can not fault them and still have a 260mb read speed so not to far away.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    I've only used the cheapo Canadian Costco Sandisk cards in my cameras. I think they're all UHS1. Now I'm having a difficult time looking for a cheapo 256 G card for my lossless music files. My 128 G card was filled in no time and I have a ton more albums to rip.

17. atarijedi

atarijedi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    I have 2 Lexar 2000x cards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ArizonaMike

ArizonaMike Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 19, 2018
    Arizona, USA
    Are those the cards from before Micron sold the label to Longsys? Or after manufacture restarted by Longsys? I ask because I wanted to know if the new cards were any good.

19. atarijedi

atarijedi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    Before the sale.

20. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Top Veteran

Woa, does she have a rich, single sister?

(Just kidding. I'm happily taken. :) )

Just a note that there are lots of counterfeit SD cards out there! If you come across a deal that's "too good to be true," it probably is. This is true even of "reputable" vendors like Shamazon! They have different buyer protection for things they sell directly, versus things they list for third parties, and it is not always apparent that you are not buying directly from Shamazon! Read the fine print, and don't deal with third-parties, unless you are certain they are legit!

I bought some SD cards through Shamazon that turned out to be counterfeit. They formatted to the advertised capacity, but would actually hold no more than a tiny fraction of that, and Apple's "write zeros" formatting test failed. At the time, I thought, "What could go wrong? It's from Amazon!"

Following instructions, I returned them at my own expense. Several times, I requested a refund from Shamazon, who said their third-party vendor had not said they were returned, and that I would not get a refund until the third-party reported they received them.

So I'm out the purchase price, plus the return shipping. Luckily, they were priced "too good to be true," so it was a relatively cheap lesson. But I had the same experience with a $60 Fotodiox "speed booster" that turned out to look like Vasoline™ smeared on a filter — returned at my expense; never got anything back.

Bottom line: Shamazon is no better than evilBay if you are buying from a third party "through" Shamazon. Caveat emptor.

I refuse to ever use Shamazon again for this shameless practice of a two-tier return policy.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.