What UHS-II card are you using for EM1 II/III?

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
For those using a UHS-II card in their Olympus, what brand and model are using? How reliable has it been?

I'm seeing negative stuff about the Lexar, unfortunately because it's the most affordable brand. Looking at Amazon the other options seem to be Sandisk, Sony Tough or Prograde (never heard of them before).

Anyone had good or bad experiences with a UHS-II card? If so, what brand/model?

EDIT: any thoughts on this Prograde 64GB v90? Seems like a good deal: https://www.amazon.com/Professional...aphers-Curators/dp/B07TCL222B?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Last edited:

Toddster

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Todd Cleaver

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sony Tough can be a tight fit and I have had to resort to pliers for extractions. Might be a bit thicker than normal SD cards. I'd never stick one in the Pen-F without pliers handy as that camera can be stubborn to give them up easily.

Just look for a fast write speed so the buffers in the camera can offload fast in a burst like Pro-Capture, Etc.

Hannety

Mu-43 Regular
Real EM1-II tests

Strangely Olympus seems to like Lexar 2000x cards while they perform badly on the Panasonic G9.

On the G9 I use a 128G Adata V90 which was great value for money and a smaller Toshiba Exceria Pro I got very cheap from an Amazon warehouse deal. Both seem to do well on Olympus.

Keeth101

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64Gb and a Sony Tough 64Gb, both high speed, no problems with insertion/release, speed, reliability or anything else. Very reliable cards.

I have, however had problems with Lexar. I bought four Lexar 1000x 32Gb cards and one failed. Stopped using the others for anything important, just no trust there.

EM1ii by the way.

doady

Mu-43 Regular
I bought Sony Tough-M 128GB for the high-speed slot of E-M1 mk2 which I set for video recording and a few months later Sony issued a recall on the card because of errors during recording video. Part of the reason I bought E-M1 mk2 in the first place was for recording my relatives overseas, and maybe it was a good thing that once-in-a-lifetime trip got cancelled due to COVID and I never had any opportunities to record any videos because I would have been very angry if those files had gotten corrupted. So I would probably avoid Sony's so-called "Tough" cards.

Keeth101

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I bought Sony Tough-M 128GB for the high-speed slot of E-M1 mk2 which I set for video recording and a few months later Sony issued a recall on the card because of errors during recording video. Part of the reason I bought E-M1 mk2 in the first place was for recording my relatives overseas, and maybe it was a good thing that once-in-a-lifetime trip got cancelled due to COVID and I never had any opportunities to record any videos because I would have been very angry if those files had gotten corrupted. So I would probably avoid Sony's so-called "Tough" cards.
The faulty Sony Tough cards have all been recalled.
The one I got was one of the faulty batch and was replaced without problem by Sony. It was not 'all' Sony Tough cards, just one batch of them. I think you have no problem whatsoever buying one now ...... provided, of course, that you buy from a reputable source such as 'supplied and provided by Amazon' etc. as I did.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Olympus test their cameras with SanDisk cards and recommend them.
As written above, buy from Amazon themselves, not Amazon Marketplace (or eBay). It needs to say it is sold by Amazon, not just fulfilled by Amazon.

Lexar changed ownership. The original card makers sold off the brand name and reputation a few years ago.

Last edited:

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all. I will definitely avoid Lexar.

I think I will try the Prograde. There is a good coupon promo right now for the 64GB.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've been using a Lexar Professional 1000x 128GB UHS-2 in my EM1-mk2 for over a year, no problems. And that is with a LOT of high school sport photography (pre-Covid), usually 500+ frames per game. I generally shoot at 19fps, and I have never had a buffer full problem.

FYI, for my UHS-1 cards, I think they are all SanDisk.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've been using these 2 lexar 2000x cards

https://www.cheapchips.com.au/memory/lexar-professional-2000x-sdhc-card-uhs-ii-32GB-300mb-sec

https://www.cheapchips.com.au/memory/lexar-professional-2000x-sdxc-card-uhs-ii-64GB-300mb-sec

since I got the E-M1ii, they've been good, and cheap. The only issues I've ever had with photo corruption the entire time I've been taking photos was due to a card reader going bad - that the lexars come with their own was a good selling point, for me.

The big tip I would give from the thread is that the state of raw files / development means that there is really very little short of properly getting Lightroom (or whatever) to delve into the file that will even detect memory card corruption or read issues are even happening. So watch out, don't trust the embedded jpgs or explorer/windows file system to find it for you, it won't!

c12402

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Juan Guerrero
I use lexar 2000X, I have 6 units and no problems. With EM1.2 and EM1X

Jon Li

Mu-43 Regular
I use 128 gig Lexar 1667 in EM1ii n 64 gig Sony G in G9 , haven't noticed any problems but I think Sony SD card is mode more robust .

Real Name
Angus
I'm seeing negative stuff about the Lexar, unfortunately because it's the most affordable brand.
Probably more to do with the acquisition of Lexar by Lodsys two and a halfish years ago more than anything else. I have no idea if they're quality's changed or not.

I use 32GB SanDisk 32GB UHS-II Extreme Pro in both my E-M1Xs. I'd love extra capacity but there's no point at the moment since I can't really do multi day trips.

Prograde I haven't used but have heard great things about from a lot of names I trust. Next time I'm due to replace memory cards I'll probably go down that route unless I hear any horror stories between now and then. They were founded by exemployees of Sandisk and Lexar, so they know what they're doing and are not just some dodgy fly by night operation.

Real Name
Angus
Also, my biggest tip with memory cards is buy a reputable brand name from a reputable source.

Whenever I buy new memory cards I always check for a seal of quality (usually it's foil), I'll compare packaging and the card itself as to what it looks like on the manufacturers website, and I'll do some research into telltale signs of counterfeit cards.

Even if buying from a reputable source still check. It has happened before where counterfeit cards have made their way into authorised dealers supply chains.

Also curious as to what negative things have been said about Lexar, if it's from 2018 I believe that's when they sold to Lodsys after Micron announced they were getting out of the memory card business, there were a lot of crazy rumours from then so take what you read with a grain of salt.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom