What type of bicycle do you ride?

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
no, standard Shimano driver.
Btw, nice slicks you got! :)
Ha ha ha. Yeah, I'm loving them. 2" tubeless. Nice & comfy, and roll really well too. Summer here, they work fine on dry hardpack, rock, and gravel. Seem to be coping with rocks & gravel with no cuts or tears, & wearing really well. Next set I'm going to try some Panaracer SK Gravel Kings. They seem to get great reviews as well.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
I tried to go tubeless but found out after constant flats in the morning and two sets of valves that my stock rims were split rims and were never going to hold air... :shakehead:
Tubeless can be a real hassle. I haven’t been on my bike for awhile so the tires are flat (dried out sealant). There is no point in adding new sealant if I’m not going to ride the bike.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
Tried my new wheels today! I built some new more MTB-oriented wheels with i35 rims with fast 29x2.6" tyres. Feels like a good compromise if you like riding both trails and gravel.

51194032808_0244702e7b_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Salsa Fargo 29x2.6 by Daniel Cederberg, on Flickr

Hoffelijk

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jeroen
This is my racing bike

25221193.JPG

Not really special at first sight, a white frame that attracts grease, mud. is difficult to keep clean and I do not use it sparingly, but there is something to be said about the bike because it is just a nice bike to drive through nature and enjoy the path.

25221195.JPG

I got the bike in exchange for a good bottle of French wine, the previous owner was the deceased father of our secretary, he rode with this bike twice the world in distance.

25221202.JPG

It is a custom build Bioracer, a local bicycle mechanicer who made fuore with equipment from the early 90s with the term Cumputer designed and that worked out well because the previous owner was the same height as me. Tall 193cm so it comes with a large frame.

25221206.JPG

25221208.JPG

RANF was a butted, ridged, CrMo tube set produced by Mannesmann on behalf of Oria. An Italian company that at that time competed with the famous frame brands such as Columbus and Reynolds. Weight was 1990g and this frame came from the same production line as the 100g lighter frame that Miguel Indurain won the 1993 Tour de France with.
The last steel bike to win the Tour de France after that, carbon dominated.

The bicycle fanatics among us will recognize the rest of the parts

Aluminium Campagnolo spoked wheelset

25221203.JPG

25221205.JPG

Shimano 105 rear gear group 7 sprockets

25221209.JPG

Shimano 600 gear group at the front

25221210.JPG

leather saddle

25221212.JPG

Belleri France Steering Bar

25221214.JPG

Today I drove along the river, had cleaned the bike for the photos, but for the way back I chose the forest anyway. On forest trails I ride 90% of what I could on the MTB before, I don't hurry and at the lightest resistance I easily kick my way through loose sand until I stopped to photograph a cow

25221217.JPG

25221233.JPG

Last edited:

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
39253517742_fa798c642d_h.jpg

The View Made Up for the 4WD Track by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Day 2: Esperance to Albany: The Unconventional Ride. 750 km in 10 days. A moment's pause on the 4WD track as I work my way west to Barker Inlet Beach. This was one hour into the ride of the track and only a few kilometres along the way.

This is my daily driver, my commuter, my city explorer, my grocery getter, my errand runner. I have done 30 mile loops of Washington DC with it. And it's amazing how much easier it is to carry up a flight of stairs or through a doorway. Because of that, I ride it more frequently than all my other bikes combined.

View attachment 847043

Wish I knew how to rotate this shot...
View attachment 847044
Nice. I picked up a ZIZZO folder last year for business travel. I was really pleasantly surprised by it. If I take off wheels, pedals, and derailleur then I can just barely cram it into a standard checked bag. Not as fancy as @Mike Wingate 's Brompton, but it has sure been nice to get out of the hotel during the pandemic. Only things I would/did change are the saddle and pedals.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
1636778034_692d06297b_b.jpg

Argon 18 Platinum by Graham Moore, on Flickr
My bike has an owie - the front derailleur brifter no longer shifts and any bike parts are on back order for at least a year, regardless of bike shop. Adding to the woes is the part is an old Shimano Dura-Ace 7800, which is virtually obsolete (10-speed rear gears). I can't even upgrade both sides to Ultegra or 105 because it's all sold out.
Sigh.

Here are the things that I wished existed when I was a kid.
My daughter's Commencal Ramones 16. Sweet little mountain bike with big knobbies, disc brakes and no coaster brake or training wheels. It's even her favorite color. Not as light (or expensive) as the popular Woom bikes, but I think the best value in a higher end kiddo bike. She started on a strider bike, and took only about 10mins of practice to start pedaling and "learn to ride" a bike when we moved her over to this (at 4yrs old). I am a definite believer in avoiding coaster brakes and training wheels to teach kids to ride. I like it so much that I picked up a 14in version second hand for my son, but he can't quite reach the ground on it yet.

ramones.jpg

My son's Specialized Hotwalk balance bike (no pedals/drivetrain) that I found secondhand in great condition. He fancies himself Evil Knievel, so I had to rig up a custom rear brake for my own peace of mind. It's incredible how quick kids take to this stuff. He was riding pump tracks and over curbs at 2yrs old.
hotwalk.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
View attachment 889915
Argon 18 Platinum by Graham Moore, on Flickr
My bike has an owie - the front derailleur brifter no longer shifts and any bike parts are on back order for at least a year, regardless of bike shop. Adding to the woes is the part is an old Shimano Dura-Ace 7800, which is virtually obsolete (10-speed rear gears). I can't even upgrade both sides to Ultegra or 105 because it's all sold out.
Sigh.
Maybe you can find a "donor" bike?

Hoffelijk

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jeroen
Shimano Dura-Ace 7800, which is virtually obsolete (10-speed rear gears). I can't even upgrade both sides to Ultegra or 105 because it's all sold out
It is a gem of a bicycle to look at, you're probably more sparingly with material than I do, would be a shame if you cannot continue drinving due to exhaustion of material.

Mekers in Gendringen often has something lying around. On his website he presents himself with modern material, but if you stop by you will discover an old enthusiast who likes to dive into his cellar to see if he still has a Dura-Ace set.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
I'm a sucker for bike threads! Here's my bike and the terrain I'm usually riding on. 😉

cycling_01.jpg

cycling_02.jpg

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Post tinkering and shake-down bimble:
20210529_170858.jpg

2021 Surly ECR, bought as a frame set and built up last fall. Used it until February, and has stood since then. The great spirit took me today, so I swapped out the straight seat post for a 25 mm offset one and smack, bang sit-bones on the seat and not the tender meat.

Need to get some sort of proper handlebar bag going, the one on it now is just a placeholder I had laying about in the garage. I have a Ortlieb on the LHT, but it seems I am out of luck on getting that one to fit the ECRs handlebars of choice.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom