What tripod should I get for E-P5?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by utahlasvegas, Aug 27, 2013.

1. utahlasvegas

utahlasvegas Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Hey, I've decided to ditch the DSLR, and I'm in the market for a tripod. I travel and backpack a lot, and I like to shoot at night. My Gitzo is broke, and it's taking their US repair facility 3 months already to get the replacement, so I think I'm going to put the RRS ballhead on Ebay and then sell the Gitzo once it finally arrives.

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions for a small but sturdy tripod that I can use with my E-P5. I'll probably be getting another m43 body next year.

Thanks for your suggestions!
  2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Have you looked at any of the Feisol tripods? There are a number of folks at the Nikonians forum who have told stories of great customer support from Feisol (in the US). And most find the quality of their gear to be quite good.

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Edit: Ninja'd ^ !

Why would you want to get rid of the RRS head? going backwards is only going to bring disappointment! I have a Fiesol CF tripod and the quality is top notch. I previously owned a gitzo basalt series tripod and the build quality is easily comparible to the gitzo I owned. I think it is the tournament series that the legs fold up and over the ballhead to shorten the length when carrying, and they have several sizes of legs as well. I got mine from Really Big Cameras a couple of years ago - it is just one guy selling them (he was the first in the US I believe, though you can buy them from several retailers now including adorama), and was very helpful answering my questions about the tripod (and my photoclam ballhead that I'd purchased from him previously).

Here are the tournament class legs to check out.

Also, I have the 37mm tube CT-3471 legs - they are very heavy duty, but reasonably manageable at about 5lbs. The 37mm tubes are equivalent to Gitzo series 5 legs - I opted for the 4 section legs for size, but even 4 sections are very stable as the skinniest leg is larger than my previous gitzo series 2's thickest leg was! If money isn't really an issue, they have these too which look pretty nice:

4. utahlasvegas

Jun 19, 2013
    "Why would you want to get rid of the RRS head? going backwards is only going to bring disappointment!"

It's just so big and heavy... it would probably be the heaviest piece of gear on me when I travel. I'm also into 3-5 night backpacking trips. I do see your point though... maybe I should keep the ball head.
  5. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    I seached a tripod about 1kg weight, min 150cm height and max 40cm folded. The height is important because I am quite tall. And the size should fit into my backpack.

Found some:
    • Sirui t005
      carbon 1kg, 130cm :mad:, 30cm
    • Sirui t025
      carbon 0.8kg, 130cm :mad:, 30cm
    • Togopod explorer
      1.1kg, 135cm :mad:, 29.5
    • Velbon Ultra REX-i L + sirui g10 head
      1,5kg?, 153cm, 37cm
    • Velbon ut 43d
      1.1kg, 156cm :smile:, 29.5cm
    • Velbon ut 53d
      1.3kg, 156cm :smile:, 29.5cm

At the end I got a very sturdy Velbon ut 53d for the price of a 43d. I am very happy with the build quality and my OM-D no longer shows shutter shock with the 75-300mm Tele. (Mounted on a monopod the lens shows shutter shock, unfortunately).
    As the sturdy tripod cures my 300mm tele I am very happy that I did not buy a lighter or cheaper tripod, might have been a similar disappointment as the monopod.

If I would not have the 300mm, a lighter tripod might be good enough.
  6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Do you have the full sized 55 head? If yes then I could see opting for a quality smaller head - I really like my photoclam (pc-33ns - 33mm ball), it is pretty small but works well, friction control is as good as new after several years of ownership. Looks like RRS has 4 different sizes as well (though the smallest doesn't appear to have friction control, which I know I couldn't live without!).
  7. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi, OP,

you tell us nothing about the lenses you're going to use with your camera>
    The tripod choice depends on the weight of the equipment, and often, the lenses are the heavier part !

C U,
  8. billybob

billybob Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    SLIK AF330
    With pistol grip head AF1100E

9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    I suggest that you look at the "flat" designs. They pack much more compactly and carry much more easily than conventional tripods.

I sold a Gitzo Compact Reporter (aluminum) tripod that was too bulky and heavy and ended up with a Benro Travel Flat -- this one: Benro C2192TB1 I deliberately bought this model for the stiffness provided by the larger diameter legs. There are less robust and shorter versions too. (I have not found the goofy column setup to be an issue. In fact I rarely carry the little add-on column.)

Cullman (CULLMANN MAGIC) has a different design approach but gets to the same end. IIRC they are shorter/smaller than the Benro I chose.

IIRC there are a couple of other manufacturers offering this style as well.
  10. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Take a look at the Benro A-300.
  11. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    I recently got rid of a Slik 340bh, and picked up a Benro C0681 that I used on vacation for an EM5 and EPM2. It was absolutely perfect. A great fit for mu43.
  12. utahlasvegas

Jun 19, 2013
    Hey, thanks everyone! Right now I have the 12mm f2, the 17mm 1.8, and 45mm 1.8. I'm planning to get the 75mm soon. I also have the remote switch and like to shoot long exposures at night.

After I sell all my DSLR gear, I'm thinking about getting an OMD for a second camera and maybe the new 12-40 2.8 zoom that's on the way. I think that might be a fantastic camera for the backpacking and bad weather situations, and it will be nice to be able to setup a couple cameras when I'm doing my nighttime stuff.

I just started with m43 a couple months ago, and the system is a total game-changer for me. I just love it, and my 1Ds Mark iii hasn't been used once since the E-P5 arrived.
  13. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I've been happy with the Sirui T-005, pretty light and compact when folded down.
  14. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    +100! :biggrin:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  15. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    I purchased a Feisol CT-3341T tripod and CB-40D ball head. This model is a bit taller than their other travel tripod. It folds to less than 19 inches with the head attached. It comes with a pretty decent carrying case. It is a joy to carry compared to my aluminum Manfrotto - also a nice tripod, but gets heavy in a short while. I bought my wife a MeFoto tripod for her small camera. It is very well made and folds to 12.6 inches. One thing to keep in mind with lightweight tripods is to hang a weight from the bottom of the center column for more stability, especially in high wind conditions. Both of these tripods I purchased have a hook just for that purpose.