What to use for online portfolio?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by cyrax83, Jul 26, 2015.

1. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Hi guys,

Currently doing TFP shoots to build up my portfolio. I've got an instagram account, and a flickr which I rarely use. I want to have an online portfolio website where I can showcase images and direct potential clients to view. I'm not particularly fond of flickr's interface.

I'm not particularly interested in the social aspect (comment/feedback/likes) for this portfolio and don't need shopping cart. Just after a nice minimalistic design to showcase albums and images. I do like the website where it's quite clean and photos appear fullscreen in the browser as a backdrop.

e.g. Saw this website posted on mu-43, perhaps something similar but with the ability to showcase photo sets and genre's (e.g. nature, macro, fashion etc) http://www.grahamwynnephoto.com/

Obviously as an amateur, after cheap as possible. Would be great to be able to use a custom domain in the future if possible but that is not an essential requirement. Am fairly computer literate. Do you guys have any recommendations?

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Hi, The most flexible would probably be to use a WordPress site, either mostly managed yourself, or managed on one of the dedicated photography hosting sites.

WordPress is very customizable, so you'll need to find a theme you like with the features you need (gallery, etc.)

I've built some sites for realtors and other businesses and have found WooThemes to be mostly satisfying.

You could also pay someone to build you a custom theme, but that should only be pursued after you look around and figure out exactly what you need.

Less flexible would be 500px or similar.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I like zen folio. Not free, but worth the few bucks a month.
  4. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Thanks guys, I'll take a look at the trial options of zenflio, smugmug and some wordpress templates.
    I've seen this site from an mu-43 user on smugmug and it looks exactly what i'm looking for - but can't seem to see this design template on smugmug options:http://richardella.smugmug.com/
    I'll keep investigating
  5. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    I would also recommend you look at Koken. Its is free, simple yet flexible.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
  7. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    thanks guys for the feedback. I do like the look of smugmug
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  8. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    FWIW don't use flash
  9. NigelD

NigelD Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2015
    I use Wordpress.com so that I can use their already formatted templates, of which there are a good number. For me, it's a superbly simple way of publishing blog posts and pages with galleries of photos.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    For Smugmug you have to move up to the Power plan and you get dozens of templates to choose from and can even design your own themes. They have a good comparison of their plans here - Features | SmugMug
  11. shesmu

shesmu Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2013
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    San Luis Obispo
    I grew tired of zenfolio for their abject failure to modernize their technology. Especially regarding high res. Can't recommend them.

If you're savvy enough I'd go with self hosted using Wordpress or another CMS like Drupal or ghost. Just be warned that if you are very picking you may have to spend some time hammering on the theme to get things just right.
  13. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Really enjoying this thread. Its why I like this site so much!