What to shoot midday

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Joltinjess, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    Jesse
    Lately I've been getting the opportunity to get out for a couple hours a week and shoot. I have a small child so I feel very lucky to get even that. The problem is that it's almost always in the middle of the day. I realize that I'm not going to get amazing landscape shots at that time. I'm really new to all this so I really haven't found my niche yet. So far I've just called up my buddy, we pick a place, like a lake or park and we go for a walk. The results haven't been great. What do people here shoot midday?

2. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I've had that kind of schedule and I usually look for opportunities to shoot backlighted things where the light shows through and so forth; closeups of things using fill-flash to bring up the shadows; of just look for some scenes so compelling that the high contrast "bad" light doesn't matter, lol.

Thing is, I see you're in British Columbia and like me you're in winter so there isn't a lot of vegetation and so forth around to shoot through, lol.

I don't know as there is any easy answer to this. There CAN be compelling photos made mid-day despite the conventional wisdom that the light is too poor. Sometimes if you shoot RAW you can dodge up the shadows enough to bring the contrast in line but with an E-PL1 that may not be as easy as with a camera with more dynamic range and requires shooting in RAW -- although you can do some of that optimization in-camera for jpg but I've never used that feature so I can't say how. There is a way to optimize shadows in the Olympus cameras though.

EDIT: Oh, and sometimes shooting black and white helps with some scenes. I've done that as well.

• Like Like x 2
  3. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Shoot on the bus or train... fellow passengers and people outside on the sidewalks. I find bus trips very productive for candid portraits.

• Like Like x 2
  4. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Midday it will be hard to do any sort of sweeping landscape - light is awful. Stick to smaller scenes.

- Look for patterns in harsh shadows, can work well with architecture
    - Once the leaves come out look in the shade for details, shape can be decent light to shoot in (macros e.g.)
    - Cloudy days are often better than sunny days at midday - make use of them
    - Consider whether there are any indoor subjects you'd like to shoot

Remember to have fun!

Ken

• Like Like x 2
  5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    for shooting during mid day you can use filters. A polarizer filter will do magic with clouds and landscape, while ND filter can give you long shutter affect.
    For the ND you will also need some kind of support a tripod or Gorilla pad.

• Like Like x 2