What to shoot in Singapore and KL

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ~tc~, Jun 11, 2011.

1. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Any locals with advice? 1 day each in Singapore, KL, and Johor

2. totochan24

totochan24 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    My suggestions :

Singapore
    Landscape : Merlion Park/Fullerton Road/Boat Quay = nice view of Merlion of course, also The Esplanade and the gorgeus Marina Bay Sands Resort. Take MRT to Raffles Place Station.
    Street : Little India and Chinatown = very colorful
    Macro/flower : National Orchid Garden/Singapore Botanic Garden

KL :
    The Petronas Twin Towers and the surrounding park
    Kuala Lumpur Arts Market
    Little India and Chinatown (I prefer the Singapore version though)

Never been to Johor so no suggestions

3. Agree with Little India and Chinatown in Singapore. There is the zoo of course, including the free range Orangutans. Fort Canning can have some nice views depending on the weather. For anyone who likes shooting flowers, particularly Orchids, this could be the place for you...

4. Oh, and Raffles Hotel at night. In between sips of a ridiculously expensive Singapore Sling. They did invent it after all.

5. thon410

thon410 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2011
    Malaysia
    KL: All the above & go to Putrajaya, especially at night.
    Johor is quite similar to Singapore and KL. Melaka (Malacca) would be a better place for photos (Halfway between Johor and KL)

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, unfortunately I'm there for business and dont get to choose "where" too much!

(of course, that is hugely offset by them paying for me to go!)

I believe we are staying on Orchard Road in Singapore, how close are these places, is it an easy walk, or what would cab fare be?

7. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    I haven't been back to Singapore in a number of years but those places are an easy MRT (subway) ride and a short walk. The hotel staff will be able to provide directions to you. The MRT system is pretty easy to figure out and is cheap and fast.

8. totochan24

totochan24 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    My main transportation in Singapore is the efficient subway system MRT. There is one MRT station at Orchard road so you can take MRT to some places I mentioned :
    Merlion Park/Fullerton Road/Boat Quay => Raffles Place MRT station
    Little India => Little India MRT station
    Chinatown=> Chinatown MRT station

There is no MRT near National Orchid Garden/Singapore Botanical Garden so you can go there by Taxi. The fare is reasonable, the most I paid for taxi is from Airport to Orchard for Sin$25 (US$20).

Or you can hop on the Singapore Duck Tour Double Decker open top bus for Sin$18 (US$14) 1 day unlimited rides. The duck tour bus will take you to major sights in Singapore including Singapore Botanical Garden, also Raffles Hotel mentioned by Lucky Penguin. You can hop on duck tour bus from several bus stops along the Orchard Road.

9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Thanks, I have found those kind of bus tours are great for me since I usually only have one day to see "everything"!

10. totochan24

totochan24 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    Singapore duck tour is great if you only have one day. I think you should take their Red heritage tour route because it covers as all of destinations I mentioned. Looks like the price has gone up to Sin$23, for more info check their website : DUCK & HiPPO - TOURS - City Sightseeing Package - City Sightseeing Singapore

I always have a great time visiting Singapore, KL much less so. The public transportation in KL is less efficient, so you'll end up taking taxi everywhere.

Hope you'll have a nice trip...:smile:

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I will be at the plant most of the day in KL and especially Johor - I will probably be lucky to even get a walk around the hotel.