1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What to shoot in NYC?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DeeJayK, Mar 24, 2015.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm going to be visiting the northeast (US) next month over spring break with my family (kids aged 9 & 10). I'm looking for suggestions of attractions and events that might lead to interesting photo opportunities. The trip isn't primarily a photo excursion, but I'd love to come away with some frame-able images to remember the trip by.

We'll be in Manhattan for four nights in mid-April (13-17). We're staying in Chelsea. A few of the things penciled into our (perhaps already overstuffed) agenda are: Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, the Brooklyn Bridge and Park, the Top of the Rock or Empire State Building observation deck, Times Square, Grand Central Station, Central Park, the Museum of Natural History and the High Line.

What are your favorite photo vantage points around the city to get images that capture the essence of the place? Any particularly good places to people watch? I'm also open to any restaurant suggestions you care to share -- where's the best spot to grab some slices of NY-style pizza, etc.? Any "secret" local knowledge you care to share is greatly appreciated.

2. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    The Brooklyn Bridge is justifiably famous. But Manhattan is also connected to the rest of the world by the Manhattan, Williamsburg, 59th St., Triboro (RFK) and George Washington Bridges. The Verazano Narrows, Bronx Whitestone and Throg's Neck Bridges connect the other boroughs.

Top of the Rock, while not as high as the ESB, let's you see the ESB.

The Wall Street area and World Financial Center have lots of interesting views. Chinatown, the East Village and Greenwich Village are a bit funky. Chelsea itself has lots of street life.

Have a great time.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. FZ30

FZ30 New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2014
    Between Boston and New York
    Beat
    There might be quite some lanes to go over to the Statue of Liberty. If its a nice day, make sure you are really early there, otherwise you spend a lot of time waiting. I'm sure you will enjoy New York, but 4 days is not a real long time. I understand you want to have memorable pictures, but do your children and wife want to hunt for the right pictures for four days? You can take interesting pictures from almost any street corner, well, not every street corner but New York offers a lot.
    If you should not be able to make it to the Statue of Liberty, take the Staten Island Ferry from the Battery Park. It's still free.
    The 9/11 memorial is very special, and not too far from the Battery park as well.
    If you want to go on a ride with one of the open buses, deal with them. Last year we were 4 adults and 2 children and we paid for 3 adults and one child. We did the uptown tour and the down town tour. But I found the uptown tour much more interesting, and we had a good guide, that might have been the reason.
    Museum of Natural History is on the west side of Central Park. Take a stroll back through the park afterwards.
    Enjoy the big apple.
    Beat

4. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm not planning on photography being my main focus. I'm mostly just trying to see if there are any "hidden gems" in the city that might be worth exploring.

Great points around the SoL...I've got the Staten Island Ferry in my back pocket if we decide we don't want to deal with the throngs. Good tip on bargaining with the tourbus guys as well.

5. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Anyone else care to share any favorite iconic NYC spots?

6. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Take the subway to Brooklyn arriving for the sunset to shoot Brooklyn bridge and Manhattan, then go for a pizza (there's a place just next to Brooklyn bridge park - don't recall the name but its right in between the park and the bridge) eat your pizza and afterwards you can take another shooting session capturing the bridge and Manhattan with the nightlights. Then walk back to Manhattan crossing the bridge for a spectacular sight of Manhattan. A lot of people walk the other way from Manhattan to Brooklyn but the view going back is a lot more exiting. TOTR is also great for sunset but be there early, as it takes some time to get to the top.

I went on a guided walk with guide the first day in NY, that takes you for a walk around Manhattan for 6 hours walking (and taking the subway) - that was a great way to get to know a bit about all the different things NY offers - you cover a lot of ground and can then mark what places you would like to revisit. (the operator was called Dozen apples and was really good).

7. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    Architecture details is a must: I recommend to have a look to famous buildings such as the Chrysler, its lobby and elevators, a visit to the Frank Lloyd Wright´s Guggenheim Museum, the Grand Central Terminal, among others.

8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    This gives a skyline shot of Manhattan and the bridge backlit by the setting sun. The cool shot is done at dawn when everything is front lit by the rising sun. The best place to get a skyline shot of Manhattan at sunset is from New Jersey.

9. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Well i Think the brooklyn bridge with Manhattan and the setting Sun also is a pretty cool :) but it would great to see hat you mean with the front lit Manhattan shot so please share.

10. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Just returned from my trip. I'd like to thank everyone for the terrific advice. Still working my way through my images, but here's one of lower Manhattan shot from the Staten Island Ferry:
    i-rq4H38B.
    One World Trade Center and Battery Park [E-M5 w/ Panasonic 45-175 @ 45mm f/10 processed in Silver Efex Pro 2]

• Like Like x 3
  11. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Great shoot - Keep em coming :)