What to Shoot at Night?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ssgreenley, Oct 2, 2011.

1. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    So, is there anything worth shooting at night? I mainly use my camera for travel photography (and am trying to branch into wildlife). Lately, however, I've been wanting to shoot in the evenings, and I often work late. So, what is there that's worth shooting at night? I can only take so many photos of my pet rabbit...

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Landscapes and scenery are ideal for night shooting, as they can be done on a tripod without trying to capture a moving subject with the longer shutter speeds required at night. Some moving subjects can be incorporated into those long exposures for effect, such as light trails or "ghost" people.

3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I love nighttime reflections on water. ;)

5. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I know what you mean. Once you start diverting from the normal daytime conditions, the world can be quite magical.

6. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Thanks all for the suggestions! I'll try a night urban scape, but I'm afraid my current city of residence has way too much light pollution for skies!

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There are quite a few fairly bright objects to be imaged even in heavily light polluted areas. I'm stuck in the light dome from the local ballpark, airport and several industrial areas so it is quite bright but can still find things to image in the night sky.

The planets (Saturn, Jupiter and Venus anyway) and moon are pretty easy to spot and a challenge to image and do not suffer much from light pollution.

The Andromeda galaxy (the size of 3 full moons) is also a good one as is the Orion complex of nebulae.

The nice thing about digital is much of the problems from light pollution can be addressed in post. Noise is still a tough nut to crack.

Not very interesting but taken with a security video camera rigged for long exposure stills netted this fro ma very light pulluted urban setting. http://home.comcast.net/~watson19461/M42_4sec.jpg