What to purchase?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Brian10956, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Brian10956

Brian10956 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 9, 2017
    i am a long time amateur photographer. The past few years I have been very sick were my photography hobby wasn't very active. My older digital camera was a mid priced Nikon SLR with a few zoom and micro fixed lens. On days when I was traveling light I used a Panasonic Point and Shoot ZS20.
    I've finally recovered and want to buy better and more current equipment. The bulk of my shooting is sight seeing and nature photography. I would also like to do some video photography.
    After looking on YouTube and other web sites I have decided to get a 4/3 outfit and a ZS100 just to have on the days were I didn't have my 4/3s with me. Where I would like some advice is what body and lens should I start with.
    The body's I'm leaning towards are the GH5(or maybe the Olympus equivalent) or the GX8 in a lens I was thinking the Panasonic 14-140 I see that both Olympus and Tamron makes currently have a a similar size lens but the don't have the built in stability. I would prefer to keep my starting cost to around $3000.00 for body , lens, extra battery, 2 high speed 64 mg memory cards, external microphone and small flash. If there is anything I'm missing please let me know. I have a closet full of camera accessories that will work for the new system. The GX8 seems to be a little long in the tooth that why I'm leaning more to the GH5. When I save up a little more cash I will like to add a good macro lens and update my printer I currently have a 10 year old Canon that can print paper up to 13" wide.
    So if some of you that are more experienced in the hardware I'm considering or should be considering let my know what you feel is my best choice.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Do you still have any of your Nikon lenses? If so, which ones are they?

3. JamesD172

JamesD172 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 18, 2016
    James Dolezal
    How serious are you about video? The G85 could be a great choice. It's a very fine camera that does video excellently, but doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the GH5 (certain log profiles, I think). It's much cheaper than a GH5.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. JamesD172

JamesD172 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 18, 2016
    James Dolezal
    I'd not consider the E-M5 II if video was a priority. For family videos and the like it's fine, but the quality from Panny cameras (or the EM1 II) will be significantly better.

6. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    May be, I think my E-M10II is just as capable as my gx7 was. Can't say about the em5 II or the gx8.

7. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

I think the G80/85 would be a great camera to try, that would leave you more to spend on the important stuff like lenses!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Like others have said have a look at the G85 (or 80 depending on where you are)
    I have one with the 14-140 II, and really like it.

9. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    You can actually get a used gx8 for less than a g80/85.
    New it seems the gx8 is about $100 more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Levster

I know, but if you're into video, good IBIS is a must in my opinion. Going down the GX8 route knocks out 95% of the Olympus lenses and most of the Panasonic prime lenses for video use. The G80/85's IBIS opens up all those lenses for use in videos, so I'd pick that over the GX8. I tend to just take photos and personally prefer the GX8 over the G80/85! The GX8's tilt EVF is great, the sensor appears to be the same sensor as the GH5 (so great for long exposure astrophotography shots if you're into that sort of thing) and I really like the rangefinder look. But, if I took more video I'd go with the G80/85... Or wait for the GX9!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Brian10956

Brian10956 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 9, 2017
    I'll have to get to you on that I'm away from home now but I will look.

12. Brian10956

Brian10956 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 9, 2017
    One of the reasons I'm leaning towards the GH5 is my health. As I said earlier I've been sick my disease is now in remission (for now anyway I get CT Scan every 3 months) so I'm not as thrifty as I once was . I many never learn how to fully use the GH5 but I don't want to be disappointed with a less capable camera even though it may meet my immediate needs. In looking at lenses I saw the Panasonic 14-140 on sale for $399. grey market. Is that a bad idea? as the US import was $300.00 more. Any experiences with grey market out there good or bad.

13. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    I'd have to agree with the G85 suggestions. Unless you want the pro video features of the GH5, then the G85 does pretty much everything the GH5 does (including 4K video, Dual IS, etc) for less money, and in a slightly smaller package. And the Panasonic 14-140 II lens is fantastic single lens solution. I sold mine, regretted it ever since, and have just bought another one.

And the ZS100 is a great little camera in my view. And if you are getting one of those, then I'd highly recommend getting a Panasonic as your micro 4/3 camera, since the menus are the same.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Unless you are really going to jump in the deep end of video, consider the G80/85 over the GH5 and buy yourself some nice glass instead. The 14-140 is a lens of convenience more than performance. Find a jewel of a lens in a focal length you like. You will not regret it. And this advice comes from somebody who has been in a similar situation as you not once, but three times.

Be well,

--Ken

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Brian10956

Brian10956 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 9, 2017
    Thank for the info I will do a bit more research before I make a decision. Hope your situation is under control I'm currently a 12 time survivor since 1984. Hopefully you can share in my good luck.

• Wow Wow x 1
  16. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    You should buy a whole camera company with that kind of luck and perservance! That is inspiring, and you should get something that you will enjoy. I still recommend at least one special lens, and I also recommend trying out bodies if possible to see how they feel in hand. My E-M1 was a huge jump from my previous m43/rd's bodies in terms of handling, but everybody needs to finds out what feels best for them.

All the best,

--Ken

17. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    If you can afford the GH5, it has some features the G85 does not have so I would purchase it.
    As for grey market, if you can risk a lens with no warranty then go for it. I always like a full warranty, but I am conservative by nature.

18. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I think there are really four bodies to consider: the Panny GH5, G80/85 or from Oly the E-M1 Mk II or soon-to-be-released E-M10 Mk III (unless the body is too small for your taste). Any of those would have the blend of top-notch photo and video usage you are looking for.

However, like the others have mentioned, considering your budget and the accessories you want I'd rank the G85 or E-M10 above the two flagship cameras, and focus more on getting a nicer lens. I would also suggest matching the brand for body and lens because there are proprietary features that are not cross-compatible, especially on the two flagships.

If you go Oly (which is what I shoot and know) and want an all-in-one, the 12-100 Pro is arguably the best there is (though maybe big for an E-M10 body). In fact, anything in the Pro lineup is incredible. I'll leave Panny lens recommendations to others.

For a small flash, there are plenty of inexpensive 3rd party options I don't know much about, but if you want to stick to Oly, The FL-600R is compact and feature-rich (I believe there is a Penny equivalent as well).

I'm not an expert on external microphones, but the model I own is the Sure Lenshopper VP83F. It sounds good and does everything I need it to do.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  19. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Mate, if you've been unwell and are looking to spoil yourself, buy with your heart. None of the camera's mentioned are less than great for the uses you mentioned. Get to a store, see which feels best and appeals to you, choose a great lens (or lenses) and just run with it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Levster

Personally I'd go Panasonic G80/85 and the get some nice glass. Either a Panasonic 12-35/35-100 f/2.8 combo or the 12-100mm. Or, seeing as you like nature, go for a 12-35/2.8 and the new 100-300mm Mk II Panasonic lens. For $3000 you could even go Olympus 12-100mm f/4 (great all-round travel lens), Panasonic 100-300 Mk II (good tele-lens for nature), and the G80/85.