1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What to Keep?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Muntjack, May 3, 2012.

1. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Just heard Amazon UK has despatched my OM-D Black Body - soooo excited.

I had intended to sell my EP-2 with kit lens and VF-2 to help pay for it. Is this really a good idea I wonder.
    The VF-2 can still be used on the OMD - maybe for bright days when using a tripod. And the kit lens whilst not outstanding is quite sharp and the slow speed becomes less of a problem with the OMD.
    Help me guys...what to do?

M

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The VF-2 is NOT compatible with the OM-D. Since the OM-D features an integrated EVF, it would be superfluous. So, if you're dispatching the EP-2, there's no reason to hang on to the VF-2 (unless you've got another PEN lying around).

As for the kit lens, you'll need to decide its value to your kit on your own. I've been impressed with the performance of the Oly 14-42mm, but I used mine only very sparingly in favor of the 20/1.7 and a few legacy lenses. Whether you wish to keep the kit lens really depends on what other lenses you have and what sort of shooting you are doing.

Have fun with your new tool!

3. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Are you certain that the VF-2 doesn't work with the OMD? - I'm sure I read that it IS. The use would be on a low tripod so as to view downwards into the VF especially when the sun is bright and the LCD not so good??

4. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    I think the VF-2 is supported by the E-M5. Olympus sells it on the E-M5 Accessory page, anyway. Possibly superfluous? Maybe.

5. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    This is not true, you can use the VF-2 or VF-3 (though it does seem a bit odd :wink: )

6. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    The same case with me albeit different problem.

Today I just sold my GF-1 (body only) to help reduce the redundancy of m4/3 body and make some money to help paying my black OM-D. The buyer did not want the EVF, and since the Lumix EVF not compatible with my PEN or OM-D, I have to sell it as accessories to someone else...but the built-in EVF of OM-D is superb, you hardly needed extra EVF (remember I come from low-res EVF-1 of Lumix). I have seen someone put their VF-2 in OMD and it works but I can't imagine the situation when you're going to need it.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The VF-2 definitely IS compatible with the E-M5. I wouldn't bother using it though. The only advantage it gives is allowing you to tilt it up to 90 degrees.

However, I would still hang onto the VF-2 personally unless you really need the money, as you may decide you want to get a PEN Mini or a PEN Lite as a compact second body to complement the OM-D. The VF-2 is still important in a kit like that.

On the other hand, I would probably sell the E-P2, personally. I say personally because I'm a stickler for getting the best image quality available (as I should be, as this is how I make my living), and to me the difference in image output between the E-P2 and the weak AA Olympus cameras from the E-5 and newer (including the E-PL2, E-PM1, E-PL3, E-P3, and E-M5) is significant enough that an older body like the E-P2 (and this includes my wonderfully built E-3) would never sees the light of day even as a second body. Even if I need the convenience of a second body, I'd sooner just swap out lenses and accessories on my main body if the quality of the final output could be put in question. Again, this is only according to my personal strict standards... The E-P2 still delivers excellent images, can take all the same great glass, and has a pretty good control system (except the magnifier function for legacy lenses). Depending on your needs and requirements, the E-P2 might make a great second body for you still. If it works out budget-wise though, I would definitely trade it up for an E-PM1 instead, which should be very inexpensive (after selling the E-P2) and will offer the perfect ultra-compact companion to the OM-D E-M5. Or if there is no budget for now but you think you might want a good second body in the future, I would sell the E-P2 but hold onto the VF-2 and wait on a Mini or Lite camera down the road that suits your budget.

Remember that when you use a PEN system, accessories like the VF-2 viewfinder or the EMA-1 mic adapter (for both PEN and OM-D lines) are a long-term accessory like lenses and flash guns. Bodies are the ones which need updating and replacing all the time.

8. It's one of the stranger sights that you will see, but the VF-2 will indeed work on the E-M5. Attaching the VF-2 disables the built-in viewfinder.

IMG_6425-PR.

9. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Now if someone could just make the vf-2 and built-in vf work together with the 3d lens...

10. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I stand corrected.

11. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    VF2

Thanks chaps,
    I think Ned is probably right. VF-2 is too good to let go even if it hangs around for a bit. The kit lens is also very flexible for a light carry.... maybe I'll just offload the E-P2.

M

12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Redundant viewfinder is redundant! I don't see the harm in holding onto the E-p2 as a second body is worth keeping around just in case. Even though the vf-2 works with the e-m5, I really don't see much point in holding onto it for the rare occasion you'd find yourself with only your 2nd body out in light so bright that the lcd wasn't viewable. thats just me though!

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The OP has legacy glass listed in his signature, Paul. I think the EVF should be more important to him than just for bright sunlight.

14. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Also for Macro MF

15. You would need to be super keen on the idea of having a tilting EVF to keep the VF-2 just for use with the E-M5. If you need to look down the tilting OLED screen is very good in bright sunlight, certainly better than the older LCD panels.