What to expect with G5?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by xdayv, Jul 7, 2012.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Any thoughts what likely G5 has to offer? Will it come with the same G3 sensor? Being a G3 user, I'm still holding off a 2nd body purchase for the highly coveted EM5, waiting for the announcement this month on what Panasonic brings to us...

:biggrin:

2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    43rumors has been reporting that it'll be the same sensor..so maybe abit of jpeg tweaking. I wouldn't expect any major changes..probably will see a bit of a change in body shape back towards the earlier SLR styled G1/G2 with a more pronounced grip. Possibly adding some controls back, but they also have to keep the differentiation with the GH2 so I wouldn't expect too much. I expect an ok update, most notably pushing the G3 to the 350-400$ MSRP at retailers as they clear them out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Let's see what the G4 brings first :)

4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I know you're kidding, but in case anyone else was confused by this as I was initially - there's no G4, apparently in Japanese "four" and "death" sound similar so four is considered an unlucky number and often skipped. Hence G1, G2, G3 -> G5.

I am wondering if the sensor is indeed the same in the G5 if they're planning to do some of the same techniques as went into the GF3 to increase performance but using the same sensor size as the GF2. Sort of an incremental upgrade for the sensor internals if true, but I'm interested to see what else they come up with.

5. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    It would be nice if they did something like the GF5 vs GF3 actually, with the same resolution but better SNR. I doubt that'll happen here though.

I really don't know what to expect though. The improved grip is a the only thing we know for sure, but the G3 was already one of the better-to-hold M4/3 cams. I would expect a button more or 2, given that was the main complaint for it in terms of handling. Perhaps the return of an eye sensor. There's also a possibility of increased video specs(I'm almost sure we'll at least have MP4 instead of just AVCHD). I don't think they'll increase the sensor readout to 60fps, but maybe they can.

In any case, I don't expect any serious sensor improvements until the GH3. It will be interesting to see how Panny retaliates against the sony sensor in the OM-D. I hope at the very least it will match it for dynamic range, which would be very useful for video using the GH3s superior encoding.

6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I guess this explains the OM-4, OM-4T, Nikon F4, Konica Autoreflex T4, etc., etc.

7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Hey I said "often" not always. Let me know when the GF4 comes out :)

8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Hahahaha :rofl:

9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I'm pretty sure it will get a higher resolution LCD, seeing how the GF5 got one. As for the sensor, the G3 sensor was already a top performer so I don't see how that can be a negative.

10. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    It will probably have the GX1 sensor which seems to be a slightly improved G3 sensor with better JPEG processing. if the grip is made from the same type of rubbert material as the GX1 grip that alone would be a nice upgrade.

11. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Pentax K5, Mazda MX5 (although they call it a Eunos)

But getting back to the original question I'd like to see weather sealing, focus peaking and in body stabilisation.

12. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    D'oh. Forgot about the screen. Also wouldn't be surprised to hear another claim of "worlds faster autofocus!" haha. At this point in the M4/3 market, it really is completely negligible for single AF. We're already faster than most DSLRs for that.

One other thing to expect might be claims of improved continuous autofocus+tracking.

It also wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a faster burst, with similar or better improvements to the buffer size/speed, which is actually something I would highly value.

Your right about the sensor too. I just wish it had better dynamic range. However, maybe they can alter the RAW tone curve so as to maintain a more natural highlight roll-off. They seemed to have altered raw files on the GX1 so that blacks at high iso look black, instead of the reddish-magenta they tend to turn on the G3.

13. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    The G3 is an extremely capable m4/3 body and, along with the GX1, produces superb image files. Even if the G5 uses the same sensor that the GX1 uses, but has other processing and ergonomic improvements, it will be a stellar camera and no slouch at all in the IQ department. The IQ performance of the G3 and GX1 are so close to that of the E-M5, that I consider them roughly comparable. What differences that do exist are not dramatic and are not likely to even be noticed aside from challenging, carefully conducted comparative analysis.

14. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Without knowing what is in store for us with the G5.... it's funny to get excited :biggrin:, but I am... would love to pair it up with the G3. similar handling, menu, rendering, etc...

15. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    It should be the screen, jpg engine, on chip denoise, AF, shutter lag, art filters, orientation sensor upgrade. Just as what's updated in gf and gx, not expecting anything quite legendaryly mentioned, I'm expecting some true surprises.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2