1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What to do with tight lenses?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dissembled, Feb 8, 2015.

1. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    My Olympus 25 fits too tightly onto my GX7; it's a bit of a nuisance unscrewing the lens.
    Do tight lenses loosen up after a certain period?

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Yes, they loosen slightly. When I first mounted my P20, it was almost too tight (and there was almost nowhere to grab). It got smoother with time, but not as smooth as some others.

3. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I returned two 20/1.7's because of this problem. I bought one used and it worked fine. Those two lenses I bought new were from Amazon though. Over half of the name brand stuff I (used to) buy on Amazon had some manufacturing defect.

4. crossen

crossen Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2014
    Ohio
    In my experience they did not loosen up over time if nothing was done to change the situation. I did find something that worked for me:

Use a bit of nasal or forehead sebum. Place your index finger against the side of your nose, so that it picks up a tiny layer of sebum (natural skin lubricating oil), then wipe the tip of your finger around the lens mount once. This I found gave an enduring lubrication and enabled my lenses to go on and off easily. I have found that the sebum does not get into the camera cavity, but do this at your own risk. It had worked for me and I hear that it has worked for others.
    If you try this, let us know whether it works for you.
    Crossen

• Like Like x 1
  5. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Does anybody have tightness issues with the Panasonic 14-42 II coupled with the E-M10? I'm guessing not since the lens consists of a plastic mount?

How about the Panasonic 12-32? I'm considering these two lenses to couple with my OM-D camera.

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    One of my plastic kit lenses is somewhat tight, but my 45mm is tighter.

7. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    My 45mm is a bit tight. I can forgive it for the cheap price though

8. belfastbiker

belfastbiker Mu-43 Rookie

May 13, 2014
    Belfast, N. Ireland.
    Paul

Just did the nasal sebum method on my new RIDICULOUSLY tight 45mm. (14-42 and 40-150 are both very easy to get on/off, perhaps due to being plastic mounts)

Result is like chalk and cheese, it goes on and off with ease now. :)

9. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I tried the nasal thing (VERY lightly) on the rear plate of my very tight Rokinon 7.5 fisheye and it helped a lot. If it tightens up again, I'll just do the same thing, I figure. It doesn't take much to free it up some, in my experience.

10. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Can nasal sebum introduce possible rust into the equation? Or maybe malfuction because it may get on the lens contacts?

11. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    It will cause steel to rust. Most of the lens mounts are probably not steel.

Barry

12. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    They are steel, but they're probably stainless.

13. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Most stainless steels can rust.
    It may not be worth worrying about it, but if it were me I'd use silicone oil, very lightly applied.

Barry

14. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Hmmm. Now you've got me worried. I'd be really afraid to use the oil. Got to think, got to think...

15. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I have a large lens collection, too large I'm sure, but not one is tight on any of my cameras.
    I hope it's fair to assume that the U43 standard that Olympus, Panasonic and any 3rd party manufacturers adhere to ensures a fit even if the camera is on bottom or top limit, and a lens is on the corresponding opposite limit.
    I would not use an organic or a synthetic lubricant for fear of migration, but would get the camera or lens(es) looked at.
    As for lenses getting easier to install/remove with time, I suspect metal is being cut. One of the two interfaces will be harder so the softer will be sacrificed. But where does the excess material end up? Answers on a slip of paper to accompany the camera when it's sent for repair. ;)

16. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    One of my kit lenses (plastic mount) is tight, and my 45mm is quite tight.

I don't know what the specs say, but there is definitely some variance or tolerance.

Barry

17. The small diameters of some Micro 4/3 lenses make a tight fit between the lens and body more noticeable. A larger diameter lens allows more torque to be applied with less force. The tolerances in the lens mount may not be any greater than other systems, but the effect of them is more obvious.

• Like Like x 1
  18. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Good point! My 7.5 fisheye is very small.

19. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I have a copy of the Sammy 7.5, it goes on without hesitation, no brute force required, no slop either. Perhaps I'm lucky.

• Informative Informative x 1