1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What to do with old CF cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OzRay, Feb 15, 2015.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've got a bunch of 8GB CF memory cards that get no use whatsoever and I thought that I could possibly use them as a kind of SSD with a suitable multi-card adapter. Unfortunately, after a lot of searching the only reference to such dated back to 2007 and there was nothing that I could currently find anywhere that would take multiple CF cards, and which could be installed in a PC slot. Has anyone ever come across anything that would make multiple CF cards useful?

2. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Not even fast really by ssd standards.

I still have my early 32Meg cards :-(

3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I reformatted all of mine and gave them away to students some time ago, I loathed using CF cards because I was always worried about bending or breaking pins... horrible design.

I used SD cards in a SD->CF adapter for a long time, it was slower but it gave me some peace of mind that was worth the trade off (Olympus bodies are generally pretty generous with their buffers anyway so it's not a huge problem).

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Yeah, my thought is to give them away to those who still use them for whatever. I can't think of another use for them.

5. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Add string and a few artfully placed holes to make a colorful mobile for the baby's crib? Did that with some old CD-Rs that had no further use.

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    It's sad really, I still have an 8MB CF card from the very early days (I did have a 2MB one somewhere) and if Olympus had used SD cards when they introduced the E-1, I'd still have usable memory. Maybe I should turn them into some form of technology artwork.

7. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    You could turn them into retro game cartridges. Just install your favorite dos game or emulator+games, and make a fun label for it. There are even some autoloaders with frontends that are built to launch emulators and games, for just this type of thing.

I'll take Oregon Trail, Lode Runner, and A Bard's Tale, all games I played on an Apple II back when the screens were monochrome green. You have died of dysentery.

• Funny Funny x 1