1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What to do when a sale in the buy&sell forum goes bad

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by johnsigs, Jan 31, 2015.

1. johnsigs

johnsigs Mu-43 Regular

HI all i have been following this thread https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=72276 in the buy and sell forums on this site, if you read the thread the buyer did not recieve what he had expected, and has since got his money back but goes on to not only keep the money but also the sellers camera. Other than pressure from other members What can a seller do? I have nothing to do with this sale, but just feel sorry for this seller.

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I do too, I've been reading and cringing.

EM10•GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

3. johnsigs

johnsigs Mu-43 Regular

The buyer from hell

4. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I hope he's banned from this forum. I wou;dn't want to deal with him - buying or selling.

5. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Agreed the buyer sounds nasty. The original deal appears quite fair based on its contents and for the buyer to hold hostage the camera after receiving a refund is in poor taste. At this point I would request PayPal reverse the refund and get my money back because I would not trust the buyer to return a working product.

I've had one bad deal on FM where in my gut I knew the buyer was bad, but felt obligated to sell since we'd made an agreement. I learned from that to trust my gut more and if it feels iffy, stay away.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Hmm.. not sure why seller sent money back before receiving item.

7. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Maybe same reason buyers send product back before receiving a refund. A trust that the other person will keep their end of the bargain.

8. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Wasn't the seller's only crime basically sending third-party batteries?

9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    well.. it's not really done. Do you ever ask a seller to send you item before you send payment for it?

10. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    That's how Dominos works. But I get your point. I've been fortunate and never had anyone dissatisfied with one of my transactions, But I've also sold very few things online. I hardly ever sell anything. I usually keep them till their not worth selling or I give them away.

11. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Really? I thought you pay on delivery. not the same :smile:

12. darrellc

darrellc Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    We don't know all the details, but at the surface, the buyer sure seems whacked. I've seen enough to know I'll never do business with 'KnightHawk'.

13. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I believe even by Paypal rules, the buyer should return the items before receiving fund from the holding.

14. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    The issues here were the missing NPW-126 battery and the BC-W126 battery charger which are original items that came with the camera. The original new battery is $45 and the charger is about the same price. Yes, you can provide an aftermarket battery and an aftermarket charger, but it should be noted for that. When I bought my used E-1 from eBay, the seller stated aftermarket battery and charger in the disclosure. This seller did not, so he wasn't honest from the get go. Instead, the seller was trying to cover up by offering items that are "below" the replacement value of a new Fuji battery and charger and the costs of procuring them. If you want full asking price of your camera, shouldn't you be honest enough to state the facts that you don't have the Fuji battery and charger, or at least the seller should make the attempt to replace the lost original charger and battery before selling it?!?

Even in retail, you can not sell a camera as new or refurbished from customer returns with an aftermarket battery and charger either without reducing a significant portion of the price.

The point of all this is that, when you sell an item, just be completely honest to the seller and don't hide things you know will devalue the item and price it that way. I mostly have no issues with selling stuff. The only times a buyer contest was the inaccuracies of my description. After I read the person's complaint and if the buyer has a point and the partial refund request is reasonable, I usually go ahead and return part of the money. No hassle of getting the item back so I didn't want to own it anymore anyhow and also, I once gotten back a returned item and it was damaged. Then I have to contest with the buyer as well as with post.

• Like Like x 1
  15. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    The buyer is a nut case. It's getting where the buyer has all the cards, even if they are in the wrong. I'm sure that the pawn shops and places that offer to buy used equipment are loving this kind of stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  16. fireblade

fireblade Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2012
    The seller will be protected by Paypal, but the buyer who has reneged on returning the product will have Paypal use their agency to hunt him down.

17. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    Good, I hope they do, and charge him for the priviledge. Regardless of whether you received what you were expecting or not, if your money has been refunded, then you no longer own the item and keeping it is theft.

18. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Not to mention the buyer doesn't seem to value the "junk" as he repeatedly calls it, so why keep it?