what to do : second hand e-m5 or new e-pl7 ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Hendrix, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Hendrix

Hendrix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2014
    I can buy a secondhand m5 in very good condition , a pl7 is just €50 more. I want the best image quality , what is the best choice?
  2. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    For me. Its a no brainer. Em5.
    Ibis. Evf. Style.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Mu-43 mobile app
  3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Same sensor, so it will be whatever lens you get that makes the bigger difference. The 5-way IS does make for very steady video from the EM5.

Would you use the Wifi capability of the EPL7? That would be its biggest feature.

I did forget the EVF. I don't use it that much on either my EM5 or EPL5, but sometimes they're the only way.
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    EM5. It's got an EVF, etc. The sensor is the same although the processing engine is an iteration ahead in the PL7. This improvement is probably negligible or overridden by the slightly better IBIS in the 5 and WR.
  5. Hendrix

Hendrix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2014
    I don't make video's and the EVH is not important for me. Is the m5 much bigger than the pl7?
  6. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    E-PL7 has automatic CA removal, has selfie capable tilting screen, is smaller and can be used remotely via wifi. On the other hand the E-M5 is weather sealed, has better controls and has EVF. The wireless file transfer is BTW quite simple with the E-M5 and Toshiba's Flashair card when using Olympus app. If it would be my only camera, I'd choose the E-M5.
  7. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    It's not just the wireless transfer, it's the wireless control that's interesting IMO. No need for separate remote triggers. That said, E-M5.

sent from my Xperia Z
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Hendrix

Hendrix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2014
    The M5 is on his way. Question: is the flash any good? I also have a FL14 , is this a better one?
  9. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    surprisingly, we've had the same "target" but since the M5 new was drop to $300 meanwhile the PL7 still at $490 (both Body only), then i take the M5,even though it was black only, small button, at that price? i can handle it:)
  10. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    In my country, EM5's price is about US$ 400. Just sold the old ones 2 months ago for US$ 600 Body Only (since i went back to Nikon FF DSLR for projects. I sold all of my olympus primes and only 40-150mm that i still preserve. Love this lens, strange isn't it =D) and now i buy back with 12-50mm lens for the same price and has guarantee from Olympus Indonesia too (^^.)b
  11. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    EM10 ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mu-43 mobile app
  12. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    not among the choices but since a brand new panasonic gx7 can be had for the same price as the olympus e-pl7, then i think it's also worth a look. :)
  13. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    From the 2 the OP stated, I'd go with the EM5.
  14. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Sounds like you've already made your decision, but if it was me, I'd have gone for the EM5. For using a telephoto zoom, which I do a lot shooting my son's soccer games, the EVF is essential. I was raised in the old school, and I can't get with using an LCD display to shoot much. The EVF is a must, although the EVFs in the EM1, EM10, and EM5 II are much better. Weatherproofing is also important to me, after experiencing a rainy vacation in Japan. If I didn't have weatherproofing, I'd probably have shot only half as much for fear of getting the camera wet.
  15. Hendrix

Hendrix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2014
    I bought tke e-m5 and until now , I,m happy with it , big step forwards .
  16. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    So did I, just ordered mine the new one.. Great price $300

Sent from my GT-N71 using E-3|E-PL2|E-M5|NX-300
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I bought the e-pL7 as I already had various EVFs : that was the decider.
    I am assuming the stabilisation is about the same, despite the new name : much better than previous Pens.
  18. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    I've been using an EPL7 for a couple of weeks now. I'm not a huge EVF user, so I don't miss that much, but do wish it had a second control dial. IBIS is hard to tell apart from my EP5's.

With the EM5, I would definitely miss Wi-Fi remote control.

Personally, I'd pick up an EM10 over an EM5, so for me the debate would be EM10 vs. EPL7, in which I'd weigh the usefulness of an EVF + second dial versus $100 savings.
  19. TetonTom

TetonTom Mu-43 Regular

Apples and oranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app