1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

what to do....? advise please

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Triggertrevor, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Triggertrevor

Triggertrevor Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2013
    Hi all, now because this thread concerns olympus and panasonic i will be posting the same thread in the panasonic section as well.

My dilemma is........ i currently own a panasonic G5 and just recently i have bought the panasonic 35-100mm zoom as i like to shoot action i.e football but now i would like to upgrade my camera and was thinking of the GH3 but then i heard about the EM1..???

The problem i want to overcome is the 35-100mm lens doesn't really have the reach that i hoped it would have and the only panasonic m43 lens that i know that will is the 100-300 which i'm not sure will have the image capability i'm after.

So this is were the EM1 comes in with that 40-150 pro lens that people are talking about, but the big question is can i afford that lens when its launched.?? But then i have the option of mounting a 4/3 lens to the EM1 which is interesting and i'm sure i can pick up some nice fast telephoto lenses if the 40-150 is out of my budget.

Or he says.... could i buy a GH3 which is far cheaper than the EM1 and either give the 100-300 a go and see how it performs or buy an adaptor for the GH3 to mount some glass on which will give me the range and speed i won't.

Why isn't nothing easy in this world.

Hints,tips and advise would be great on this one.

cheers Kev

2. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    The Olympus 40-150 isn't expected until Q2 2014. If reach is your focus then concentrate on what lens to get. The E-M1 is a great camera but it's got nothing to do with reach. Once the Olympus lens comes out it will work with Panasonic bodies but not offer any image stabilization.

3. Triggertrevor

Jun 30, 2013
    Yeah thats my point no IS at 150mm on a panasonic body would cause me some problems.

cheers Kev

4. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Naa, I wouldn't worry about the stabilization. I started out shooting film on an all manual Pentax and one of my favorite lenses was a knockoff brand 80 - 200 that was always shot manual handheld. Great pictures of auto racing and general action shots. Loved that lens.

I feel people get too caught up in image stabilization and speed of auto focus. You need to practice with the lens on your shooting stance and how you hold the camera and set your shutter speed. Nowadays I shoot with a G3 and an EPL2. The G3 is a great platform for manual focus and I use it with a couple of Seikanon legacy telephotos so with the added grip the G5 should be superb. And with the added auto focus you should have no issues on nice clear shots. I would say practice first before spending any extra on equipment you don't need - IS seems like a crutch and lack thereof can be easily overcome. The G5 is a great camera . . . Myself I have gas for the G6.

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Search, and you'll find plenty of good, sharp images shot with the 100-300. And the GH3 does C-AF much faster than the G5 does.

My suggestion would be to look for a used 100-300, and try it out on your G5. If you don't think it's sharp enough, you can probably resell it without much of a hit. If you do think the images are good enough, but not the AF, then look at a G6 or GH3 (or GX7), all of which are much better than the G5 in that regard.

BTW, there's a forum called This or That for cross-brand discussions:

https://www.mu-43.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

6. Triggertrevor

Jun 30, 2013
    Guys I really appreciate all your comments and advise on this matter.

I was just concerned wether I can get good isolation on the 100-300.

Now I know I can buy adaptors for m43 to other types of lenses but I would really like the electrical contacts on the adaptor and I don't really want to start experimenting with none native lenses and start wasting money.
    If only m43 did say a 100-200 or 100-300 2.8 that would be sweet.

Cheers kev

7. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    You say that you're shooting action, so IS will not help you much anyway. For clear action shots you need a fast shutter speed, and with a fast shutter speed, IS doesn't help much anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Triggertrevor

Jun 30, 2013
    May I ask then, should I be turning my IS off when shooting my sports as I'm a prime guy and this is my first lens with IS on.

Cheers kev

9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You should leave IS on. When shooting action the main challenge is subject movement rather than camera movement, so in this respect IS is not of huge help. Despite being a smaller factor, however, camera movement does not go away (especially if hand holding a larger telephoto), so IS is still useful if you've got it available.

10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    If you can't find a 100-300 to borrow you can rent one from Lensrentals at $33/5 days or buy one for less than $500 (at least for short time frame)

Another option becomes the E-M1 with the MMF-3 adapter and a 4/3s 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD high grade lens. You can get the MMF-3 for free with a rebate when buying the E-M1 and find a used 50-200mm lens for less than $600. This becomes a $2000 option and you do not have to experiment.

The latter option might make the Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 look very attractive.

11. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    I think you'll find that at a 600mm eq fov , subject isolation won't be a problem.

If you're panning, be sure to select the proper IS mode. Otherwise IS will attempt to correct for the panning motion, leading to more blur.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    I've actually never had a long lens with IS, so I can't answer that from experience. But the other eresponses to this seem reasonable.

13. Triggertrevor

Jun 30, 2013
    I didn't know there were different IS modes? The only one I knew was the one on the lens.

Cheers kev

14. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Dude, if your main issue is reach, then buy the 100-300. Problem solved. You are making this too complicated.

15. wjiang

A Google search reveals that at least some Panasonic bodies using only OIS, e.g., the G3, still had a setting in the menu somewhere to change OIS mode from normal to panning.

On my E-M5 the IBIS mode can changed between off/normal/vertical/horizontal panning from the IS control. The latest Olympus 5-axis IBIS bodies e.g. E-P5 and E-M1 will also auto-detect panning and switch off stabilization on the panning axes while leaving it on for the others.

16. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Check the menus on your camera. There's a mode for panning, which stabilizes only in the up-down direction, instead of all directions.

17. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Use what you have to its fullest capability. Concentrate on skill and technique. Wring every electron out of that G5 until it dies!

18. Triggertrevor

Jun 30, 2013
    just checked the menus and there's a stabilizer option but it only gives either stabilisation vertically and horizontally or shake from up and down movements.

cheers Kev

19. Triggertrevor

Jun 30, 2013
    i see where your coming from but say what if i buy the 100-300 and its not to my taste i've then got to sell it before i move onto the next lens where if i get suggestions and advise from the good people on here i might be able to make the right decision first time.

cheers Kev

20. wjiang

The second sounds like panning mode.