What to Chose

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by photoeagle, Apr 26, 2015.

1. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    I looking to get back into a interchangeable lens camera. With a budget of $500 what camera choices do I have. I will probably shoot outdoors 90% of the time.

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    GX7, EM10 are two popular full-featured choices. I'd recommend either one. There are other options that might give you even more bang for the buck if you don't need a viewfinder, but I for one dislike composing on the LCD in bright sunlight.

3. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    µ4:3 at that price point consider going "pre-owned". Or you could look at a used 4:3rds body and 2 kit lenses.

B&H kits under $500

4. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    With some careful planning, you can stay under budget and get a decent kit.

Panasonic GF6 or Olympus E-PL5 with kit lens can be had for around $ 300-350, allowing you some extra cash for a budget prime (Pana 14/2.5 or one of Sigma 19/30/60 mm).

Or, with some search on eBay/Amazon, a more recent pre-owned body (GM1/EP5/GX7) around $ 400 and then kit lens for another $70-80.

Good luck!

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    More information required:
    Outdoors is nice but subject matter is more important.
    Primes or zooms
    Viewfinder required?
    Looking to build a kit with more to be purchased later or is $500 the starting and ending point?

• Like Like x 1
  6. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    Subject matter e.g. birds, plants, landscapes. I would need a prime and zoom lens.
    Viewfinder would be nice but not essential.
    Looking to build a system.

7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I would start with one of five bodies.

New body used other lenses:
    E-PL6 - cheapest body, real deal right now and you could get one new + a used 40-150 + one of the cheaper primes used all for not much more than your $500 (like $500-$600 max for all)

Used bodies and lenses:
    E-PL7 - significant update to the E-PL6. Used are few and far between but refurbished units with the kit lens are available through Olympus.

GX7 - nice Panasonic body, all the features you could want and a good base to build a system around. Probably be able to one used with one lens in your budget as a starting point.

E-P5 - Same as the GX7, a good place to start at about the same price point. No viewfinder but the best image stabilization option of the 5 for plants and landscapes.

E-M10 - Also the same as the two above. Good place to start, some specs are a little below the two above but hardware is a little newer and more traditional DSLR style handling. I have not owned the GX7 but I did have the E-P5 and prefer the E-M10 to it. But I didn't need those feature where the E-P5 is spec'd higher (better IBIS, 1/8000 vs 1/4000, etc)

• Like Like x 1
  8. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    Thanks for the info.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.