1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What to Chose

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by photoeagle, Apr 26, 2015.

1. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    I looking to get back into a interchangeable lens camera. With a budget of $500 what camera choices do I have. I will probably shoot outdoors 90% of the time.

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    GX7, EM10 are two popular full-featured choices. I'd recommend either one. There are other options that might give you even more bang for the buck if you don't need a viewfinder, but I for one dislike composing on the LCD in bright sunlight.

3. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    ยต4:3 at that price point consider going "pre-owned". Or you could look at a used 4:3rds body and 2 kit lenses.

B&H kits under $500

4. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    With some careful planning, you can stay under budget and get a decent kit.

Panasonic GF6 or Olympus E-PL5 with kit lens can be had for around $ 300-350, allowing you some extra cash for a budget prime (Pana 14/2.5 or one of Sigma 19/30/60 mm).

Or, with some search on eBay/Amazon, a more recent pre-owned body (GM1/EP5/GX7) around $ 400 and then kit lens for another $70-80.

Good luck!

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    More information required:
    Outdoors is nice but subject matter is more important.
    Primes or zooms
    Viewfinder required?
    Looking to build a kit with more to be purchased later or is $500 the starting and ending point?

• Like Like x 1
  6. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    Subject matter e.g. birds, plants, landscapes. I would need a prime and zoom lens.
    Viewfinder would be nice but not essential.
    Looking to build a system.

7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I would start with one of five bodies.

New body used other lenses:
    E-PL6 - cheapest body, real deal right now and you could get one new + a used 40-150 + one of the cheaper primes used all for not much more than your $500 (like $500-$600 max for all)

Used bodies and lenses:
    E-PL7 - significant update to the E-PL6. Used are few and far between but refurbished units with the kit lens are available through Olympus.

GX7 - nice Panasonic body, all the features you could want and a good base to build a system around. Probably be able to one used with one lens in your budget as a starting point.

E-P5 - Same as the GX7, a good place to start at about the same price point. No viewfinder but the best image stabilization option of the 5 for plants and landscapes.

E-M10 - Also the same as the two above. Good place to start, some specs are a little below the two above but hardware is a little newer and more traditional DSLR style handling. I have not owned the GX7 but I did have the E-P5 and prefer the E-M10 to it. But I didn't need those feature where the E-P5 is spec'd higher (better IBIS, 1/8000 vs 1/4000, etc)

• Like Like x 1
  8. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    Thanks for the info.