What to choose for my bday

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Peezie, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    Hey guys,

So this labour day long weekend... Sunday actually it's my bday. I have gathered up some funds and birthday money from family and fiance. My dilemma is what to buy now i have been wanting a wider lens than my current panny 20mm.

So should i buy the Panny 14mm $450 or best buy canada at the moment has the Olympus Epl1 with kit lens for $350. Now the only reason i would want the Epl1 is because it would give me a second body and also give me the 14mm im desiring from the Panny 14mm. Now i know the kit lens isnt as fast as the prime but, its just so tempting to have the body and a zoom for the price of the 14mm. In my eyes the 14mm would give me a good fast prime, possibly better image quality, pancake size lens for slighty better portability but $100 + tax more.

I already have a GF1 with 20mm.

What do you guys think? For those of you who have had both 14mm and Epl1 with kit lens is the 14mm worth the extra $100?

What are the cons for the EPL1 vs GF1?

Your thoughts and comments are always appreciated.

2. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Honestly, I would say pickup the Olympus kit lens (ideally Mk II) used for like a hundred bucks - since you mentioned you were considering the Olympus kit anyway, pickup the wa convertor to boot if you want UWA. Save the rest, save up a bit more and get a 3rd gen PEN; in your case either the PEN Mini or EPL3.

The fast focus, improved iso and weaker aa filter for better sharpness would be a nice step up for not too much money for a 2nd body.

Thats what I would do if I had the GF1/20mm combo and a bit of spare cash as you mentioned in your post.

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    There is no comparison between a well-designed prime and a kit lens. There's a reason that so many people are paying for the 14mm, despite its inability to zoom and it costing more than an obsolete body + lens combo. The EPL1 isn't going to be enough of an upgrade to your GF1 to warrant the cost, imho. Ultimately, you have to decide for yourself which you'd rather have, but considering that you already have a 20mm, I'd pick up the 9-18mm. At the very least, skip the body, use kijiji or craigslist, and as the above poster said, buy a used Olympus or Panasonic 14-42 for $100-$150. What are you going to do with two nearly-identical bodies?

This person would probably take $300 even for the lens, or if you're up for it, trade your 20mm straight up.
    Panasonic 14mm 2.5 *FOR SALE OR TRADE* - City of Toronto Cameras For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.

4. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    Thanks guys for all the thoughts and comments. I decided on the 14mm today since i really like the form factor of the pancake lenses. I have seen pictures of comparisons with the pany 20mm, but man is this thing really small, toyish like:wink:. The size alone really solidifies why i chose this lens. Plus ill have fun composing with the fov on this lens.

I took it along with me as well to the Ex(CNE). I'll post some pics in a thread later on once i get a chance to look through them.:smile: