1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What to charge for Photo use in magazine? Help

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Wisertime, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    So last winter, I did some photos for a Holiday house tour. I was paid a modest amount and got free admission (it's a community association, non profit where I live). I also contribute to local paper, calendars for fundraising etc. I was paid for usage rights in promotion and I'm flexible...but it was for promoting in brochures, website, flyers etc. No issue there.

Of course, the designers were wanting copies of the pics at the time I was taking them (presumably free), but that's another story.

Though some means of press release or word of mouth, a local magazine (decent sized) wants to publish one of my photos full page. I'm flattered, but don't really care about working for "Credits" if that comes up. What to charge? I know it's an age old question. I get $25-50 for a local paper depending if cover/inside each...which is small circulation. Not much but Helps fun my hobby and makes me feel like I'm doing something worthy with my cameras.

This magazine is a full color glossy pretty good circulation (conglomerate publisher) City specific mag. They have a photo editor (person who contacted the association).

So I feel that this falls outside of my original agreement. It's a third party use. They were the ones requesting the photo. Failure to DL from Flickr and need for higher rez led them to ask for a bigger 300 dpi file for full page print.
    What do I charge? Some people I've read about just come up with random #s like $125. Too low/too high? I don't want to come off as ridiculous...nor do I want to settle for too little.

I want to help out the community with their marketing, but I also don't want to give away work for free. This is a step up from what I've done so far and I don't care to just get published for credit, even though it's pretty cool to be in a larger publication.

For now, I told my contact to ask what their going rate/budget is....But you know first one to throw out a # loses. Negotiation is not my strong suit. Anyone been in a similar situation?

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I looked in my book The 2015 Photographers Market, for smaller market magazines (ones about a state like Texas Highways) for inside color they are $100-$200 and around $400 for cover. Hope that helps.

3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Very much so I think. That's kinda what I imagined...though the fact they tried to DL them (w/copyright watermark) makes me suspect. I had just read about that book on my search and got distracted...thanks much! This is Philadelphia Style mag. Niche media who has other cities too.

4. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I would tell them $250 and go from there, especially since they basically tried to snag it for free.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    My only caveat is I think they might have requested the pic based on a press release...I assume this article or whatever is partly an advertisement/promotion for the event this year. I don't want to leave the community assoc in a bad spot, but I don't see why they shouldn't pay something. Hopefully hear something tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Let us know what you find out or end up doing. Best of luck and hope you come up with an equitable solution.

7. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    This is a good time to really see how much your work is truly worth. Start with $250 and be prepared to negotiate. The thing is you need to establish a beach head that you truly believe the value of yourself and your work. It is easy to lower the asking, but it is difficult and next to impossible to raise your price. This happens to countless of people who gave images for free and then have a tough time negotiating for pay use images.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Credit and exposure might be more valuable than the fee. ,are sure you get both. ;)

9. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I got a response back ( I had not even given a price yet). They "don't have a budget for the image". But of course I'll get Credit (exclamation) Haha. They charge $42/yr for subscriptions and have ad revenue but don't have budget for photos that make up half the content? Amazing. IF they just contacted me I'd say screw you. Because this is benefiting my neighborhood community, I'm on the fence. She offered to contact me direct, so I may have her do so and ask if she works for "credit". IF they offered anything I'd prob just oblige, based on the situation, but I'm kinda insulted. Realistically credit doesn't do much. I doubt it will lead to anything, other than putting a feather in my cap.

10. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    A publication that contains lots of photos but has no budget for photos? I would tell them $250 but go as low as $175 and no money no photo for you. It's ridiculous that publications want to make money but pay nothing for their content.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Firstly Thanks to everyone who followed and offered their suggestions.

Update. Well it's a bittersweet victory. I got $250 for the photo, which I'm impressed and happy with (thanks Phocal/bikerhiker...I just threw out your $250-175 anecdotally in discussion...I prob would have used $125...oops), however it was the association that decided to award me the money (they think the publicity will help them raise more $$/attendance for this years event). I'm flattered by that. I suppose if just 7 people come as a result, it's break even for them. However I did gladly shoot the entire event for them last year for less than this. I went above and beyond the 2 houses they requested and did all 5, so it's sorta good karma for that I guess. I'm slightly bitter that the magazine wasn't willing to pay, but perhaps it could open a door down the road. I personally did not have any contact with the photo editor and the acquaintance of mine who did, really did not try to push the issue (and she's a part timer). A bit of miscommunication from the get go. This is a story about events in the area and I guess a bit of advertising/promotion in a way, so maybe it is a no/low budget thing? She also insisted the decorator got credit too.

Here is the image the wanted to sum up the story. I tweaked some of the highlights before sending it over though. Not nearly one of my best, but I'll take it. Gives me hope for selling the good ones. I just have to figure out a way to get out and peddle. Sales/self promotion is not my strong suit. This will help put a dent in my recent bout of GAS.

p527477501-5.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Glad to see that you got it settled to your satisfaction. I can't believe the magazine tho. With people giving away photos it gets harder and harder to make a living as a photographer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Great photo Wisertime! Just a thought -- you may want to place a watermark on that photo before you posted on here because of the issues of protecting the value of your work and your client who just bought the photo. You don't want to imply to your client that somehow the same photo could be obtained for free on the net which the magazine people tried to do after they were not willing to pay a cent for it. It's a client courtesy!

Sales and self-promotion is difficult for most people who work as an employee for a company and do photography on the side. You are programmed to obey authority and expect an assured stream amount of salary and benefits based on your contract. Whereas as an entrepreneur, you don't have that luxury so sales and self-promotion is a necessity for survival.

Having said that, you need to learn the art of "NETWORKING" and the value of using networking to seek out potential new work through your existing sources. The magazine can be a potential client, but you need to build up more clients and you need to raise your branding awareness as the only top reliable and capable photographer in Philly in regards to real estate because while the magazine may not want to pay you for that particular image, the editor may have certain criterias and may pay you if your brand is well accepted by other outlets. It will take a lot of time on your part to build your own brand, but one thing is for sure. This is the cure for GAS, because once you dedicate your time to this passion of yours (I assume it is?), this will make you internally happy. Once you are happy inside (which is putting a dent on GAS for now), you don't need external material things to justify your happiness. GAS will eventually drop because you won't have time to even think about getting gear unless you need it for a job.