1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What to buy?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jakob F., Feb 17, 2012.

1. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Yeah yeah, I know, this crops up every other day, but since everyone's mileage may (and do) vary, I have to ask it again..

I've got an E-P2, and the Samyang 7.5 fisheye, Oly 45/1.8 and a couple of adapted OM lenses (50/1.4, 50/3.5 macro, 85/2 and 35-200 macro)

I'd really like something wider than the 45, and I'd really like a pancake, so I could have the camera in my jacket, so obviously I should buy the 20/1.7.
    Unfortunately, I've fallen in love with the 25/1.4, and having both 20 and 25 seems a little foolish. (plus, I hear from folks buying the 25, that their 20 rarely sees any action afterwards)

Next pancake up is the 14/2.5 -unfortunately (again) I'd rather have the 12/2 in that range, although, I know, it's not a pancake. Can't afford it this year either, unless I win in the lottery, but then I remembered...

The Panasonic 14-42 X lens is also a pancake. I know it's nowhere near as fast as the 14 or the 12, but if I need fast glass, I still got the 25 and 45mm.

Wouldn't that be the sensible thing to do? Then I'd have a nice walk around lens, that isn't much bigger than the 20mm but covers both the wide 14 and the normal 45mm

Or should I just stick with 7.5/25/45 and then save the money for the 12mm and forget the pancake?

What would you do -and why?

/Jakob

2. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I've got an Olympus 17 and the PL 25. They are separated enough that I use them differently. The Oly is extra small, wide without being too wide, and I find its rendering to be pleasing. I've read that it focuses quicker than the P20, too, which is a bonus in my book. At $150 used, you can't go wrong.

3. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Yeah, there's the 17 as well, of course, I got that with the camera, but sold it again for being not bright enough for indoor and lowlight shots. Might consider that -the used ones crop up fairly often anyways.

Only problem with that option, is that I'll have to wait for the wider option the 14-42 gives me, until I've saved enough to buy the 12mm. Plus, for a walk in the park or a day at the zoo with the kids, the 14-42 would probably be a bit more versatile, than swapping between 17/25/45. And a lot more compact than lugging the 35-200 plus adapter, which is the only other zoom option I've got.

/Jakob

4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    14-42X has issues when fully zoomed in.

As far as 20 vs. PL25, the PL25 is nice. But I don't think it's THAT much nicer. The IQ is slightly better, it AF's a little bit faster, and it's about 1/3 of a stop faster aperture-wise. But you really can't go wrong with the 20, and specially if you value the size of the lens. I do own both the 20 and PL25.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It's nowhere near as fast, but it's also not that small either. Besides being flat, it's an otherwise bulky lens. The 12mm f/2 and 45mm f/1.8 may not be as flat but they are overall much less bulky lenses... but much faster and sharper!

6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i dont do well with settling... i always just hate that i wasted money on something i didnt REALLY want
    so id just save up longer.. and STAY OFF OF PHOTO WEBSITES that remind me of my deep desires that i cannot yet have... LOL :D

7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I say go for the 14. It is a great lens, only lagging a tiny bit behind the 12/2 in corner sharpness, and it is crazy small. It also focuses quickly and quietly.

8. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I have had the 20 almost since day one, well, June 2010, and it has mostly been my go to lens.
    After getting the E P3 and E PM1 and a 12 and 45, the 20 kind of lost it's luster. It also focuses much slower than the other lenses. I wanted a smaller lens and bought a 17 from a member here. I like the fast af and small size.
    My favorite lenses in this order are: 1) the 12, 2) the 45, 3) the 17, and 4) the 20, and I'm fortunate to have all four.
    It's almost a tossup between the 17 and 20 because of they both have the small form factor. In daylight, the 17 gets the nod and low light the 20.
    I also prefer the shorter fov lenses in general for most of what I like to shoot.

9. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    When you get down to the very wide end of the spectrum, every millimeter makes a substantial difference. The difference between 12 and 14 is large, and the difference between 12 and 20 is crazy huge. I'd personally go for the 20 first and then the 7-14 (or 9-18) for very wide stuff. 20mm on m4/3 is the sweet spot of versatility IMO - it's wide enough to get cityscapes and general street, but not too wide that you lose people and smaller objects you're trying to capture. It's also not too tele that it starts feeling claustrophobic indoors (50mm FoV is irritating to me in this regard). The 20 is very sharp and produces aesthetically pleasing images. f/1.7 is pretty amazing for indoor and low light work. I like the IQ on it better than the 14 (from personal use) and the 17 (from what I've seen posted).

10. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I appreciate the input but feel a need to clarify: I'm getting the 25mm, as soon as I get the insurance money for my stolen bike, so I feel the 20 would be a silly choice for pancake.
    I skipped the 17mm first time around, simply because I forgot it was there, but pancake wise it seems to be 14-42X, 14 or 17.
    I know I'll buy the 12 at some point, I just have to have it(one of those things, I suppose) which would make the 14 somewhat silly too (imo), so really it seems like it's between the 14-42X and the 17.
    I'm leaning heavily towards the X lens, since it'll be more versatile for walking around with the family, and it's about the same size as the 20, which I find fits nicely on my Pen and in my pocket (borrowed one from a friend) Plus, I'll get the wide end of the X lens until I've got the money for the 12mm.

This way, I'll get a zoom AND a pancake at the same time, and by the time I've saved up for the 12mm, it's probably dropped a fair bit in price too, just like the 25mm did.

Thoughts? Should I just stay the hell away from the X lens, and stay on the primes?

11. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Oh, and I feel like the 20 and 25 can do pretty much the same when it comes to indoor and lowlight and cityscapes and people on the street, but I might be wrong.
    As I see it, the main major difference is the form factor, but others might think differently?

12. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    i say go to this forum and be the fist patient :biggrin:

13. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I was waiting for this one to pop up ;v)
    But my only problem is what lens to buy, not that I buy too much... It isn't! Really! Believe me, I'm totally in control of my lens buying habits, so you can't really call it a problem, let alone an addiction! I'm. Not. An. Addict!!!

(or maybe I am, just a little. Hands up, who isn't?)

14. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    (feet up) LOL

15. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    How about buying a used 14/2.5 and continuing to save for the 12/2. You won't take much of a hit selling the 14 if you buy it used.

The solution to too much lens swapping is a second body ;)

Fred

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, you should.

17. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    +1

Also, the difference between the 20 and the 25 is more than just form factor. The 25 is technically a better lens in all ways and actually does produce nicer photos (IMO). Look at samples - if you can see the difference, it should factor into your decision and weigh it against the form factor and price. If you can't see the difference, buy the 20.

25mm (50FoV) is a lot different focal length than 20mm (40FoV). 25 gets you quite a bit closer to things, which matters a lot indoors when you're trying to climb up a wall or leave the house to shoot through a window when trying to get people in frame. It also matters outdoors when you have to take a few steps closer with the 20 to get the shot you want - your subject might rather you keep your distance.

There's also a matter of distortion - it's slight between the lenses, but it's there. 25 shows things more true to life, 20 distorts them a touch wide (correctable if you care), but if you're doing a lot of portrait work, the 25 is more flattering.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I can actually get a 17mm for less than a 14mm (both used) so at the moment I'm leaning towards the 17mm. And since I've had one before, I know what to expect from it ;v) -the 12mm will probably drop into my bag when I've saved enough for the E-M5 -and then I've got a second body as well. All problems solved ;v)

19. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I've been shooting with legacy 50ish lenses for almost a year, so anything wider than that will be a huge improvement to my kit ;v) (except the Samyang, which I find weird for portraits and general indoor shooting)
    But you're right, 25 can also be a bit long for indoors, I found out at Christmas, where I shot everything with my Fujinon 25/1.4 (being the widest lens I had) -but on the other hand, I shot my mothers 60th birthday last year, with an OM50/1.4, and got great shots from it, so it's also a matter of shooting style, I guess.

Regarding 20 vs 25, there's really not much to discuss -I want the 25mm, and plans are that I'll order it during the next week or 2, depending on when I get my insurance money.

What I wanted besides the 25, was advice on which pancake to go with it, since that is another thing I feel is missing from my kit. And since I'm buying the 25mm, I feel the pancake needs to be wider than 20. Which then boils down to 17mm or 14mm, since people don't seem to happy with the 14-42X -and I guess I'll take whichever I can find the cheapest on dba.dk, the danish EBay/Craigslist/etc.

Thanks for all your input :v)

/Jakob

20. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Just a quick follow-up -I found a guy selling a 17mm and a 14-42mm, and asked for a bundled price -got both lenses for EUR200, which must pass as a fair deal! Both lenses are sold with metal hoods... Now I just need to get my hands on the 25mm ;v)
    Regarding that one -on Panasonics website, I read that it comes with a lens hood -but neither Amazon.co.uk nor Pixmania sells it with a hood. Anyone knows of a (european) website where it ships with the original hood?

Cheers,
    Jakob