What to bring for a week in Rome?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Transalp01, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Transalp01

Transalp01 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Täby, Sweden
    I'm planning to bring

E-M10 + 12-40/2,8
    GX800 + 20/1,7
    GM1 + 12-32/3,5-5,6 (for my wife)
    35-100/4-5,6

Will I need 35-100/4-5,6?
    Should I bring Samyang 7,5/3,5?

2. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Kiillarney, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    my view is "less is better"

While you may in any particular moment "wish for a XXXX" the reality is that if you know your gear you can do more with less.
    Are you there on a holiday (with your wife?) or on a professional assignement to "make some postcards"

I've been happy with a week in Prague with just GF1 + 20f1.8 + 14f2.5(+GWC-1) + 45f1.8
    Prague (2017)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. rkris

rkris Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2013
    I was in Rome a few years ago and my most used lense was 16-35 for fx. I would bring a 9-18, 12-40 and a fast prime between 12 to 25.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RichardC

RichardC Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2018

Take plenty of batteries, plenty of memory cards and plenty of money.

A Sherpa should not be necessary for a holiday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Transalp01

Transalp01 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Täby, Sweden
    I looked at my weekend trip to London 2 years ago.

430 pictures in total
    390 with 12-40/2,8
    21 with 35-100/4-5,6
    19 with 20/1,7

My selection from that trip was 97 picture, 94 taken with 12-40...

• Like Like x 4
  6. Steveee

Steveee Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2017
    Sheffield, England
    Steve
    Making some broad assumptions here, so don’t be offended if you’re Italian or a veteran visitor to Rome, but in my experience:
    Good, comfortable shoes;
    an acceptance that you can’t see everything in a week;
    sunscreen;
    a willingness to say “to hell with the plan, let’s sit in the park for a bit” (especially important if you’re travelling with non-snapping family);
    Give yourself some time to experience that marvellous city without the viewfinder;
    A few words of Italian will lessen the amount of ripping off that sometimes happens;

Oh, and some camera stuff too!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Kiillarney, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    well, the numerical approach is pretty good (god bless EXIF analysis). Sits well with my gut feel but is of course the bottom line. I should do the same with mine ;-)

PS: since Prague 2017 I've bought the 12-32zoom ... I'd probably just take that (instead of the 14f2.5 + GWC1) cos its nearly wide enough (at 12mm vs the combo being 11mm) and lighter / easier to manage and gives me OIS on my non IBIS camera (which would have been handy in many of the low lit churches).

8. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    No speedlight? You will miss so many shots changing cameras and lenses. I take my FZ82 away on holiday these days. Too much fuss with carry on luggage checks and security with my GX80 and holiday lenses.

9. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2017
    You just need to put your camera gear inside your camera bag. And you take out the camera bag from your carry on while passing through security (just like the ziploc bag with liquids). I only carry a G85 and 2 primes (25 and 42.5) when travelling.

10. Saledolce

Saledolce Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    I would probably pack EM10, 12-40, 35-100 and P20 for low light. A compact and light kit, covering all sort of photo situation.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ArizonaMike

ArizonaMike Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 19, 2018
    Arizona, USA
    No one else said so, but I would bring the Samyang for use inside the churches that allow photos. In fact that is one of the main reasons I bought the lens.

When I was last in Rome (it was perhaps 10 years ago) I was able to take non-flash photos inside all of the churches and the Samyang would be a good lens for that. Reasonably fast at f/3.5 and any good software should be able to de-fish the images.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Balinov

Balinov Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2015
    Dublin
    Balazs
    Sadly, we're in Rome only for half an afternoon when finishing off our 15 day Italian roundrip 6 years ago and saw the Colosseum only from the outside I'd certainly second your suggestion about the Samyang fisheye.

Me thinking it wouldn't be only a must for indoor (church, museums) but for general touristic shots.

Just think about it, Rome is one of the most photographed cities in the world, so fisheye perspective shots would make a whole more unique memories people would aww about :) 

Shhh, don't tell the Wife but I'm planning to bring the three of us back to Venice, still early in the planning, but I'm already done packing the camera gear in my head. Sammy, o12-40, o40-150r, and I'd be sorted..

• Like Like x 1
  13. Phil.H

Phil.H Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2017
    Uk
    Whatever gear you take keep an eye on it. I was there a few years ago and a 'Bambino Bambino woman' (beggar) had her hand in my wife's bag within 10 minutes of us getting off the train.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 19, 2015
    I wish I had the gear now that I had when I did visit Rome. But these days I'd opt for an ultra-wide, a medium telephoto, a standard zoom like the 12-40, and a couple of primes.

15. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2014
    I'm definitely in the 'less is more' camp. We spent a week in Rome and Florence and I just had the GM1 w/12-32. Easy to walk around crowded street and slip into a bag when photographs were prohibited. I occasionally wanted a longer lens but was more than pleased with just the 12-32. I'd almost be tempted to skip the GM1 and just let your wife use the GX800. I'm not sure I understand the logic of having the 20 on the GX800 as neither has stabilization. Wouldn't you be better off using the 20 (when needed) on the OM10 so you can at least take advantage of the IBIS?

16. ArizonaMike

ArizonaMike Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 19, 2018
    Arizona, USA
    Venice is also a good place for a fisheye like the Samyang. Given the narrow streets and the limited ability to back away from a given scene due to the canals, the wider an image you can get the better.

I am not a big fan of fisheye images themselves, but after an image from the 7.5mm fisheye has been "de-fished" you can get an enormous amount of rectilinear image, much more than with my Olympus 9-18mm UWA.

If I go back to anywhere in Europe the fisheye will one of the first lenses I pack.

17. Ed Diaz

Ed Diaz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2017
    That's about as compact as you can get, with the exception of the 12-40. I would bring it all, including the 35-100. Would also bring the 7.5. Though, if you plan to have the 12-40 mounted on your E-M10 all the time, the 7.5 will struggle indoors on your GX800 (no stabilization). Still, it would be useful for wide shots outdoors, and would work great indoors if used with your E-M10.

• Like Like x 1
  18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    UWA (like a 9-18), indoor low light lens (15, 20 or 25 with fast aperture) and 1 telephoto. This captures the majority of your needs, and as others have said, the most used lens will by the UWA. You could also do like a 12-60 + a fast indoor normal, but you might miss some UWA.

If there is a second photog along, the 12-32 is great. But I really think you want an UWA in there. Wider than 12

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    +1. On my second trip to the Eternal City, I used the 9-18 more than any other lens, inside and outside. So versatile - and it takes filters. But I've also liked having a superzoom along. Next time, my minimal gear would be any ultrawide (I bought the Oly. 7-14 f/2.8 mainly for churches) and the 14-150 II. Beyond that, I'd like to have the Samyang fisheye along for more creative and even wider shots (small chapels, close-ups, panoramas of city squares...). Plus the 25mm f/1.4 or 20mm f/1.7, perhaps. I think I'd stop there.

20. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    We are frequently in Rome, and I carry a Hadley Small, my GX7 with the 15mm f1.7, and a GM5 as backup, up to now with the 35-100 (slow one). I now have the Laowa 7.5, but for the churches, I have made do with using the 15 for panoramas. Churches don't move much, except for the occasional earthquake.

And the 15 is an amazingly versatile lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.