1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What to bring for a trip to India?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by xdayv, Jun 15, 2013.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I need a little wisdom here.... 1 week tour to Delhi, Jaipur, Agra and Varanasi.

My current gear - GH3, G3, GX1, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 20 and 45

I want to keep it as light as possible... but knowing the place is a photographic haven, I need to bring the right stuffs with me. A lightweight tripod in the tour bus, just in case.

Most likely I would bring the Leica Monochrom and 50mm 1.4. I'm thinking of GH3, 12-35 and 35-100. But I know there would be photos screaming for the 7-14...

Any thoughts (and insider's tips)? TIA.

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    1st bring a good cut of steak!!:biggrin: I have a friend who was there for 3 mos. She used her i-phone and took awesome pics. India is definitely photogenic. Bring what is comfortable.

3. I'd take two of the m4/3 bodies and all of the lenses to start with. As good as I'm sure that the Leica Monochrom is, colour rules in India. Still, if you've got room to spare...

4. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    I would take the GH3 + 12-35 + 35-100 + ND filters. Varanasi and Jaipur will scream for the 7-14.

Everything else is optional. The 20mm won't add weight and may be good for low light shots, but you can swing with the 12-35 in many cases. If you want a backup body, take the GX1. Skip the Leica and other m43 stuff. Traveling in India is harder on you and your gear, so travel light.

Weather sealing is important. Depending on season, parts of India can be very dusty or very wet. As of right now, its monsoon season in India and pouring non stop in many places. (and I mean pouring not drizzling!)

Make sure you have a bag that can't be reached into or easily cut with a blade if you are in a crowd. People are friendly, but yeah, that happens. I usually skip a full tripod and will keep a small table top tripod with me that can be supported on a wall or ledge. And yeah, spare batteries, lots. ;)

5. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    If there's one lens I would drop from your excellent line up... it would be the 12-35mm.

For me personally, 2 bodies and 7-14mm or equivalent paired with the 35-100mm is a lot better for travelling. You either shoot landscape, environmental portraits shots(7-14mm) or long (35-100mm). Plus you still have two primes for low light.

Although if you could bring them all it would be better :)

Can't wait to see your photos :D
    Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I would take.

2 bodies with : 24 + 50 + 90mm primes. period. make it fun and light.

--

In your case i would take the "seven" + 45mm. nothing else.

Or just the P12-35. maybe the 12-35 + 45.

7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Dave .. I
    Will reply when I get back from work . I am originally from northern India and will give u few tips

8. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    I like spicy food, but not the curry stuffs. Let's see if there's room for the steak. :biggrin:

That's what I thought, but the Monochrom is tempting.

9. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    Thanks, I need to sneak in the 7-14 to the bag....

This is the lens I would drop if the 7-14 + 35-100 goes.

:biggrin:

10. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Essential tips:
    Weather sealed, light n flexible kit, minimal lens changes, small tripod or none at all, non-descript but secure bag.

My suggestion is your 3 zooms and maybe 2 bodies if you can.

11. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Remember one of the major motivating factors for getting into mu-43 in the first place. Go small. The G3 and P20 and your imagination should serve you well.

12. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    Noted, thanks... I'll use the Think Tank Retrospective 5 bag. :biggrin:

Thanks to Micro 4/3s, I don't have to even consider bringing a DSLR anymore.

13. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I'd bring the GH3 with the three zooms as your main kit, and then have the GX1 + 20mm buried away in your normal luggage incase your stuff gets stolen (not unlikely).

14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    PowerBars, a z-pack, and hand sanitizer.

Personally, I would take the 12-35 and 35-100 and leave it at that. I might add a fisheye for indoor shots. What I have seen is that you don't frequently have the option of "zooming with your feet" due to space and crowds, and the aforementioned dust. Even inside places are usually plenty bright - I've rarely needed a super fast lens in India. Tripods are almost never allowed at any of the tourist places.

I have never had an issue with pickpocketing or theft, but this is a serious problem and you need to be very careful. In my experience, begging is a bigger issue, especially around the Taj Mahal and other big tourist areas.

Note: the typical Taj Mahal shot from the end of the reflecting pool is right at 45mm (90 equiv)

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    When I was in India, I ended up taking many good shots from the bus so some reach was handy. For this reason, I would take the two zooms, 20, 45, the GX1 and the GH3. Really, that's not that big or heavy a kit.

16. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    Looks like a good idea, thanks!

Helpful tips, thanks. I figured the zooms are way to go, minimal lens changes make me concentrate on the shots, the crowd and from potential theft.

The 35-100 must go with me.

:biggrin:

17. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    So far the kit I have in mind will be,

GH3, 7-14, 20, 35-100.

Leica MM, 50.

Subject to drastic changes and mood swings... :biggrin:

18. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    That's awesome man!! That's what I would definitely bring if it's me. :D

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

19. zcd

zcd Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    One thing to keep in mind about doing a photo mission in India is this: Small bills. They play the "no change" game because small bills (that aren't ripped / damaged) are relatively hard to come by. They will try to unload their damaged bills on you, so insist on ones in good condition. Hoard as many small bills as you can, and then use them for tips when you want to photograph people! Almost every Sadhu will be willing to give you a photo op for a small bill. Enjoy, and brace yourself (especially for Varanasi!)

20. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    I would take exactly what you have listed here. If you're going to visit the Taj you will regret not bringing the 7-14. If you are addicted to BnW you'll want the Leica otherwise leave it for a lighter kit (and less worry about theft).