1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What the...???

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, Dec 9, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I picked up an E-P1 just recently (I'd had one previously and wanted to get another one). Now, I have a G2 as well that I love and really have been thinking of the E-P1 as sort of a cool retro second body that I'll use sometimes. The biggest obstacles for me were the lack of EVF and SLOOOOOW AF. I had however decided I was going to try and go a month just using it to see if I could get ised to to using the EVF. To that end, I've been venturing into the world with my E-P1, Panasonic 14 and 20.

What I am finding (much to my surprise) is that I am starting to prefer using the E-P1 over the G2. There are a number of things that are contributing to this...

HANDLING
    I like the way the E-P1 feels in the hand. I did some tweaking by adding an AA leatherette skin, GGS Glass LCD protector and Gordy leather strap but overall it fall comfortably into the hand. Its a bit smaller than the G2 (which is probably a bit more comfortable and has slightly better controls but the E-P1 is holding its own. The Super Control Panel makes up for a rather ungainly UI and goes a long way toward making the E-P1 fun to use.

IQ
    Ater some digging in the Olympus secret menus I found where to set the JPEGs to Super Fine and am much happier with the IQ. For the most part I like the images it produces. It seems to meter better than the Panasonic and the color is very pleasing. I still think the Panasonic color is more accurate but the E-P1 produces very pleasing images none the less. The biggest surprise is that I find the E-P1 to be pretty decent in low light (better than I remember). I find it useable up to ISO 1600.

LCD
    I'm not going to sit here and say that using the LCD is better than the G2's EVF...it's not, but it is useable and surprisingly so. I am finding it pretty easy to use even in daylight (of course bright direct light is a show stopper, but even an EVF struggles with that). I even strapped on my Konica 40 and I was able to nail focus pretty easily. I had less success with my Jupiter 8 but I have a pretty rocky relationship with that lens anyway.

So here I am finding that I am looking forward to using the E-P1 and not missing my G2 nearly as much as I thought I would. I find that the E-P1 goes with me all the time, is small enough to fit in my backpack or shoulder bag (I never liked cameras in my pocket) and quick enough to whip out and grab a shot. Its not a speed demon but with the Panasonic 14 on it is surprisingly peppy. Compared to the current offerings by Panasonic and Olympus it's a dinosaur but I not feeling particularly deprived. Not bad for a camera that is selling for a tenth of what it did when new.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't know what it is but Pen cameras are just fun and joy to use. I tried GF2, G3, T1i, T2i, S90 and some others. But it's only Olympus E-PL2 or E-PM1 I want to take with me every day. I've had E-PL2 since January and it's now well over 20k clicks, still feels great in hand!

3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    It is odd...I find the E-PM1 a bit too small for my hands. I was thinking about picking one up but I decided to go handle one first. I think I'll stick with a bit larger body.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Honestly I think of all the M43 camera bodies I own, I much prefer the OOC jpegs on the E-PL2 even over the newer bodies.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks for reminding me. :mad:

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    You're welcome...I think. :eek:

7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I spent some time looking at test samples over at DPReview (am I supposed to admit to that?) and from what I could see the IQ between the E-P1 and the newer bodies did not seem to be THAT different. I compared the E-P3 with the E-PL1 (which I had for about a year so I was familiar with it) the E-PL2, E-P1 and then switched out the E-PL1 for my G2 and the NEX5n for a little extra measure

The NEX5n looked the best, but to my eyes it didn't seem to be a huge difference and the greater resolution is I am sure part of that. The G2 looked the worst subjectively (most evident at high ISO) and the Olympus boides all seemed remarkably similar. I even thought the E-P1 compared well at high ISO. It wasn't as clean but the differences did not seem to be dramatic either. I know we all geek out about IQ but seriously, the E-P1 doesn't need to take a back seat to any of these cameras for my applications.

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    You're absolutely correct! One can debate that the E-P1 sensor is essentially the same as the E-P3s.

And it's due to this very observation of yours as to why I passed on getting the E-P3 & am instead, still holding with my E-PL2.

9. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    The E-P1. The Fender Telecaster of :43:. Right first time :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  10. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    waiting for the stratocaster. :biggrin:

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    That's what I'm waiting on....:smile:

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I am quite surprised at how much I have taken to the E-P1. I don't remember liking it nearly as wel the first time I had one. Not sure what the difference is but I am very pleased with it.

I do think that there is something timeless and classic about the design of the E-P1 and for all its faults it does stand up remarkably well given its status as an antique in digital camera years. The original E-P1 was a revolution in digital camera design and the subsequent models have been variations on a theme.

I habe to agree that I also find the newer body designs like the E-PL3 and E-PM1 to be pretty uninspiring. They look to be very nice cameras but lack a certain something.

13. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    That took four years after the release of the tele'. 2013? :biggrin: