"What the Still Photo Still Does Best" in today's NY Times

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
In today's New York Times, 3/21/10, there's an article by Hank Klibanoff titled "What the Still Photo Still Does Best" which I think many might find worth reading. See what you think...and comment or not. It's a thoughtful article that references some very powerful moments in our history and the photographs that have helped propel these events across the world.

Here's are some excerpts from the first few paragraphs:
ATLANTA — Charles Moore was a news photographer who became a photojournalist and died a visual journalist — not because he changed, but because the technology, nomenclature and just about everything else involving his profession did.

Shooting first for Montgomery newspapers...then more famously for Life magazine, Mr. Moore was probably the most influential of a battalion of still photographers who swept across the South to capture, with compelling clarity, the dramatic collision of massive and passive resistance, black and white, right and wrong.

Mr. Moore raced on foot to scenes, sometimes with the camera already at his eye, often with his feet moving backward. Relying mostly on short-range lenses, he moved closer to the action than any photographer, began shooting, then moved even closer.

The television medium was barely 15 years old, and large-format magazines were wildly popular...

The unsettling images from civil rights battlegrounds...disturbing images from Vietnam battlefields by Horst Faas, Eddie Adams, Nick Ut...created a golden era for photojournalism.

Today, everyone with a cellphone is a photographer/videographer and streaming video has become a national obsession. But has the proliferation of images devalued photojournalism and dulled its influence?...
There are several links, slide shows and more, in the online version. I know many, if not most, will recognize a number of Charles Moore's photographs.

Charles Moore died on March 15, 2010 - the ides of March. His obituary is was in the March 16th edition of the paper and can be found by using one of the hyperlinks provided as related to this article I've posted about.