What the hell have i bought????

andyw

Mu-43 Veteran
Leitz Hektor 135mm f4.5

Bought this on e of the bay last night. I believe it's pre WW2 and from the limited image examples i have seen it could be the sharpest lens i have ever seen. We will see when it get's here. It only cost me £20 so i'm not expecting much, in fact i don't really care. It will look good in my collection.

Some numpty has converted it from M39 Leica to M42 fitting so it looks like a dog's dinner! At least i won't need to buy another adapter! :biggrin:

View attachment 141928

View attachment 141929

View attachment 141930

Justified_Sinner

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dauvit Alexander
Wonderful Lens!

It IS incredibly sharp. I'll be uploading some of the photographs I took with mine over the next few days. As it effectively becomes 270mm at f4.5, it is a lens for bright days or a tripod, but it is lovely with excellent contrast (for me, lack of contrast is a major issue in a long lens). Mine cost me about £90 from Clock Tower Cameras in Brighton, but is the Leica R fit, rather than the M39/botch. No idea what date that makes mine.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Probably the best source for a quick review of Leica, and other M mount, lenses is Camera Quest: http://www.cameraquest.com/mlenses.htm.

135/4.5 Hektor 1954-60 Chrome lens with detachable lens head for Viso work. Generally the most inexpensive used M lens. Very plentiful on the used market, but not a bad performer. Suddenly made popular by a 1997 article in the Leica Viewfinder, much to the astonishment of dealers who were previously unable to give the lenses away.
Cheers

Ray

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
That's a great lens. I have one I bought in 1971. It's tack sharp but the real visual quality is in the irradiation you get in back lighting...... dreamy..... It seems you have the Viso Flex version...good stuff
enjoy, it's a gem....

andyw

Mu-43 Veteran
Ok i have taken a few images and wide open (f4.5) it's pretty poor to say the least. I have Cleaned the lens and taken another shot which was better - See below. I tried at F8 and it was better still. I will wait for a decent sunny day with my Tripod for further tests. Again the light was very dull.

1: Attached to the GF1
View attachment 141978

2: @ f4.5
View attachment 141979

3: @ f8
View attachment 141980

4: After some post processing in Elements 6
View attachment 141981

Overall impressions... Pretty bad but i will conduct further testing on a better day.

Watch this space!

andyw

Mu-43 Veteran
Just had another look at the lens and there is either fungus or clouding in the lens where i can't get to it. Hey ho! Looks good in my line up!

jesse

Mu-43 Regular
I have this lens too and I put it on my Hasselblad 2000FC/M, the image quality is really good

Justified_Sinner

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dauvit Alexander
Just had another look at the lens and there is either fungus or clouding in the lens where i can't get to it. Hey ho! Looks good in my line up!
At that price, it might be worth asking a decent camera place if they can clean and restore it.

M

mabelsound

Keep in mind, old uncoated glass will always give you low contrast!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom