What the heck is this stupid bar thing? Mu43 iphone app.

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by KVG, Sep 21, 2012.

1. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    This is at the bottom of every thread on my mu43 mobile app?

8BE06F7C-A58F-4B9A-986D-766382E7384C-1227-00000158F030EC48_zps52e57d1a.

typed on my phone, sorry.

2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
  3. Jaffa1975

Jaffa1975 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2012
    Looks like an Advert to me..

4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I keep touching it while scrolling and it takes me to the App Store :mad: Grr stupid first world problems.

typed on my phone, sorry.

5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    i was going to ask the same thing!!

6. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    image-1252509604.

I have amdifferent one on my iPad. Looks like advertisement to me

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, that would be an ad - which I put there to help cover the increased cost the developers are charging me for that app.

I appreciate feedback about these ads. Eg, are they interfering with your use of the app, are the obnoxious, not bad, staying out of your way, etc.

As a side note, the ads on that app are not shown to anyone who has donated. As a regular user of the app, the ads are shown to me because I want to experience them to see for myself if they are onerous.

Currently the ads are shown at the top and bottom of the thread - I may remove them from one or both of those locations, and I'm also considering removing them for those with 500 or more forum posts.

Like I said, all feedback is welcome.

8. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    On an iPad its okay. Its not bothersome, i cant tell for the smaller ones tho, it might take up a bigger space on the screen, but thats a new reason to get the iPhone 5 :wink: :rofl:

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks, Andrew. I'm going to remove the top ad and leave the bottom one for now. On my Android phones, having two ads on the same screen is kind of obnoxious.

Yesterday was the first day for the ads, and if I extrapolate the revenue, they will completely pay for the app if I leave them there.

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    :smile:Actually, that bar would be appropriate on some forums.

11. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    LOOOOL

12. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Amin,

I appreciate your work, love the site and crowd, understand your need to cover costs, but I hate ads on small screens. How do I donate to remove the ads? I cant find a link.

Lee

• Like Like x 1
  13. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    forum runner?

hi amin,
    I am using Forum Runner for a few forum subscriptions and I also noticed the ad at the bottom of the page. I thought it was FR doing it (shouldn't cause I paid for it) but when I check the other forums, I didn't see the ad at all. Is this also something that is caused by the "ad"?

fwiw. i don't mind it at all. but maybe an announcement here before it was enabled would be helpful :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  14. melonbread

melonbread Mu-43 Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Jannette
    I don't find them that intrusive at all :). The app looks great by the way, and kept me entertained whilst I was waiting at the airport for 3 hours. The ads don't float up with you while you scroll, which is a problem i had with some other apps.

Sent using my phone. Excuse any autocorrect

• Like Like x 1
  15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Lee, wait a few days to see how this pans out. I may remove the ads altogether soon, or I may put a 99 cent ad-free version in the app store. At this point, I'm just experimenting. If you want to donate without waiting, there's a green "Donate" button in the Navbar towards the top of the page between "FAQ/Rules" and "New Posts".

16. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

So, there are regular, even daily, users of this site ... that do not financially support the site? :confused:

I don't understand that.

17. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Well, im not financially capable of supporting the site since im still unemployed (and will be for the next 2 years since im studying My 2nd degree) BUT im full on 100% supporting the site however i can

18. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    The ads haven't been a bother to me. Happy to help with the finances in this very insignificant way!

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Mu-43 App

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    People support the site in all different ways, and I don't ever want anyone to feel any pressure to donate. It's a purely optional thing that is not expected, regardless of how much or how often someone uses the site. The only people that I may eventually require to pay are the ones who use our Buy and Sell area without otherwise participating on the site. Still thinking about that one...

Every time someone makes a quality post, that is not only good for the community - it's also a financial donation because that content brings unregistered guests via Google search, and those unregistered guests are shown a lot of ads that registered members never see. The ad clicks that come from those unregistered guests are actually the #1 source of revenue to pay for this site right now.* Also, people who buy via our affiliate links provide really great support. I'm working on a way to acknowledge those purchases with Site Supporter status.

Bottom line is that it really helps and is appreciated when members contribute their posts and photos to the community, and it's an extra bonus when you go to the inconvenience of using our affiliate links. PayPal donations are wonderful as well, but these are not expected or counted upon in any way! For what it's worth, I have participated on many sites, many times, and it is rare that I donate to a site.

*This discussion has been helpful - I'm removing the mobile app ads for members with 500 or more posts

20. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Amin, I'm not asking or suggesting that you disclose any financial info, just making an observation which may or may not be accurate. I imagine that some folks think sites like this one can be profitable for the owner and that some folks think it is a labor of love kind of thing that will always be run at a loss. Those that believe the latter are more likely to donate I imagine, but those that think ads and retailer links make this profitable are less likely to "donate". After all, who donates to a for-profit business?

My guess is that mu-43, and most similar sites, don't return a profit, but I really have no clue.

I would be supportive of some sort of fee to post in the Buy/Sell section. Even if it's just the minimum annual donation.