1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What software to replace background

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Theo, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    I wonder what photo labs use to replace background in portraits automatically. I need half hour in Photoshop to replace background and don't do a good job. There must exist software to do this automatically in batches. My children's school picture packages have option to select a number of backgrounds for any portrait.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's easier with a solid, odd colour background (e.g. pink, green, blue), light the background so it's of an even exposure, no shadow. In Photoshop use colour mask to do the main replacement, and if you need to, manually subtract from the mask anything that ends up being the same colour on the person. The setup takes longer but the post processing should only take a minute or two at most. If you can guarantee that the person will not have anything of the same colour as the background on them, it's even easier as you don't need to fix anything up after the colour mask.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    For removing green screen backgrounds, I've used Primatte Chromakey and FXhome PhotoKey. They're expensive, and both are good, but I thought Photokey was easier. For removing complex backgrounds, Topaz Remask seems to get the best reviews lately, but it takes a lot of touchup to make it look good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Perfect Photo Suite 9 (just released this week). Their Layers module has the tools to mask out the background and drop in another image as the new background. You can do it in just a few minutes. The hardest part is selecting the image that will be the new background.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/layers9/

• Like Like x 1
  5. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    ... also make certain that no light reflecting off of the background illuminates the edges of the subject. Any color tinge from the background will cause errors in any auto-masking and if you manually correct the errors the color tinge will be visible in the final image and look odd. There will be no "source" for it in the final composite and you brain will raise it "fake image" red flag. You also want to light the subject such that the direction of the dominant light and its harshness/softness are similar to that in the new replacement background. A mis-match in lighting will also trigger the "fake" response in the viewer's brain.

• Like Like x 1