What socks should I buy next? Yes, socks.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Given we have some new mosquito called "Ankle Biters" in the local news which can bite through socks and thin shirts, maybe these:

https://www.amazon.com/RealTree-Insect-Shield-Socks-Olive/dp/B07R7RB4W2/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1Q98W8C9GFERS&dchild=1&keywords=mosquito+socks+men&qid=1603461638&sprefix=mosquito+socks,aps,288&sr=8-7

Damn things seem to breed in wet grass. I spot them hovering around my shoes when I look down after standing in one place too long with a camera.

Hiking in snake country? https://www.snakesox.com/

Dickies are a good brand. I have some Carhartt's too that I get at the clothing place the Forest Service guys go to.
I sometimes see ducks when I'm in the park...any socks to protect against those dangerous critters?

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Thanks @Phocal. Darn Tough's will arrive tomorrow. As I said, I was discounting wool. Clearly based on my lack of knowledge on the topic. My needs are very different than your's, and Mike's, and others I'm sure. I'm pretty much of an indoor kind of dog, so it's less about performance and more about comfort.

I also like a crazy sock or two. I was happy with the Bombas aesthetics, but pretty disappointed in the socks themselves given the rep they seem to have.
Calling cotton socks sweat socks is just about right. They do nothing to wick moisture away from your foot. So when your feet do sweat they just sit there in all that nasty sweat. Other materials like wool or some of the synthetics will wick the moisture away from your foot.

Don't get me started on cotton panties.....................

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I live in Sweden but the last time I bought socks was in the US at Wal-Mart, it was their workwear socks in 5 pack or something!
Best socks ever! They last and are comfortable. Maybe they where Dickies?
The same for T-shirts, workwear from Wal-Mart, maybe $8 per T-shirt in super quality! Here in Sweden I can buy T-shirts for twice that and still the quality isn't the same.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
As is typical on here, you ask about socks and maybe end up buying a sweet-looking $150 pair of shoes Salomon that make you look like a poser because a literal walk in the park is as close as you get to hiking. :) Makes me think of shooting 6-year-olds playing soccer with a big old white 70-200L lens in my Canon days. Oh the odd looks from people...
I only have the 3 pairs, red, blue and black.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I was disappointed with Wal-Mart in Billings, pretty disappointed with Billings. Now Macy’s in Chicago was brilliant, there was a sale, it was Memorial day, sat and watched the Parade for hours. Brilliant. Extra discount in Macy’s, came away with 2 silk shirts. I had put on a bit of weight by week 4 of crossing America west coast to east coast, And NOT ONE WOODWORKING STORE in 5 weeks.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
And NOT ONE WOODWORKING STORE in 5 weeks.
This sounds like you finally managed to go cold turkey on Woodworking stores! ;)
Did the shirts fit after you got home with the extra weight?

For Wal-Mart I always look for a Super centre, open 24h a day and have all you want.
Of course you have to be aware of the quality, you always get what you pay for!

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
This sounds like you finally managed to go cold turkey on Woodworking stores! ;)
Did the shirts fit after you got home with the extra weight?

For Wal-Mart I always look for a Super centre, open 24h a day and have all you want.
Of course you have to be aware of the quality, you always get what you pay for!
2 1/2 stones and near diabetic on my return, the shirts were a little larger than my usual ones to accommodate the food intake. Not a hot drink person, but hot chocolate. Milk shakes with lunch seemed good, 2 scoops of ice cream and endless full fat milk. The beer was awful, the Cokes enormous. 4 types of sausages, 3 types of egg, what passes for cheese, 3 types of bacon plus something burned and crisp with 2 types of maple syrup, a stack of pancakes, more syrup, plus pineapples for breakfast. Desperate for a ‘one wiz wit’ in Philadelphia, etc... Brilliant.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
2 1/2 stones and near diabetic on my return, the shirts were a little larger than my usual ones to accommodate the food intake. Not a hot drink person, but hot chocolate. Milk shakes with lunch seemed good, 2 scoops of ice cream and endless full fat milk. The beer was awful, the Cokes enormous. 4 types of sausages, 3 types of egg, what passes for cheese, 3 types of bacon plus something burned and crisp with 2 types of maple syrup, a stack of pancakes, more syrup, plus pineapples for breakfast. Desperate for a ‘one wiz wit’ in Philadelphia, etc... Brilliant.
35 pounds in four weeks? Yikes. Glad you escaped. Our approach to food in the US is really, really bad. COVID is really hammering that point home. We've kind of maxed out what the Pharma industry can give us to compensate for the chronic conditions brought on by our bad diets. Hopefully a wake up call that is heeded, but I'm afraid we'll just hit snooze when this is over.

Damn it Mike, now I want a good cheesesteak, and those shoes. I'm not too far from Philly, and Geno's, Pat's and Jim's [the best, imo], but nothing nearby really hits the spot for me. I'll never quit all "junk food", but I'm trying to only eat the really good stuff when I eat it. Life is too short for crappy cheesesteaks, and they'll make it even shorter.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
If you are partial to wool, than along with the usual suspects of Smartwool and Darn Tough, there is also Sockwell.

--Ken

Apollo T.

Mu-43 Top Veteran
BEWARE !!!
some unscrupulous vendors sell mismatches as regulars.
Trust me on this- you do NOT want 2 lefts even at a bargain price.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Darn Toughs arrived today. Nothing flashy, but so far they seem like very well made socks. Definitely different than what I'm used to, but I'm pretty sure that's a good thing. More to follow.

Real Name
Chris
Desperate for a ‘one wiz wit’ in Philadelphia, etc... Brilliant.
I’m also desperate for a taste of home...you just can’t find any good cheesesteaks on the west coast. But, cheesesteak alone isn’t enough to make me move back east. Glad you escaped your visit with just “near diabetes“. Living here my whole life, and I can’t say the same...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom