What size of Filter for Panasonic 25mm??

webmonkey8

Mu-43 Regular
Hi I just bought the Panasonic 25mm lens and while it's an amazing piece of glass, I would like to buy a filter for it to protect my investment. However, I'm not too sure what size of filter I need or what type. I mostly take indoor low light shots as well as the occasional outdoor one.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!:2thumbs:

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
I believe the PL25 takes 46mm filters. The correct size is written on the front of the lens, usually with an oddball greek symbol.

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well, what do you want the filter for? Those two are completely different in purpose.

If you want a filter to protect the lens in normal use, you need the UV. The PL isn't suitable for that purpose at all.

If you want a filter to bring out the blue in skies, make colors more vibrant, or reduce reflections, you want a polarizer. The UV won't do those things.

D@ne

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hi I just bought the Panasonic 25mm lens and while it's an amazing piece of glass, I would like to buy a filter for it to protect my investment. However, I'm not too sure what size of filter I need or what type. I mostly take indoor low light shots as well as the occasional outdoor one.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!:2thumbs:

If you're ever in the same scenario with a new lens...the lens-cap typically says the filter measurement (also the lens-cap measurement) on the inside.

Example:

d8g0j.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

capodave

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dave
I wouldn't put a filter over that beautiful Glass
Get a hood for protection It will also help with lens flare
My Pictures look much better after taking the filters off and I was using B&W

jamespetts

Mu-43 Top Veteran

The lens comes with a hood, so no need to buy one separately. And while I agree that it is not sensible to keep a filter on the lens all the time as "protection" (after all, what is a lens cap for?), one can achieve effects with a polariser that one cannot achieve without one, so, in certain situations (such as photographs on a sunny, cloudless day or of things beneath water), a polariser is worthwhile.

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Agree , I dnt put filter either . I always keep the hood on .I have just ordered ND filter for sunny days , apart from no filter business to spoil the fun.It looks more serious camera with hooded PL 25 mm lol
Cheers
Bhupinder

DSC01369.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

webmonkey8

Mu-43 Regular
Interesting opinions, all!

capodave - I know what you mean about using the lens hood for protection, however I do like the idea of having a lens filter to prevent dust, scratches and finger prints, especially to use for indoor shots. So, would a filter degrade image quality for indoor shots? Even from the higher quality filters?

I understand a filter will help make photos better for sunny outdoor shots, however. Would using the lens hood combined with a polarizing lens filter be the best combination to achieve optimal image quality for sunny outdoor shots?

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
The best protection for that lens is its lens hood.

There is no need for a circular polarizer, because there no mirror in the light path for metering. Only SLR's (some) need circular polarizers.

The polarization effect depends on the orientation of the filter and the location of the sun. Filters are like seasoning; you don't add salt before tasting.

Latest threads

Top Bottom