1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What size filters - recommendations please.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Gyles, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Hi Guys,

I'm looking to try out some filters and was wondering what my best option would be. I've pretty much decided on going for the Formatt-Hitech system but I'm torn between 67mm and 85mm.

I'm only interested in mu43 and will be sticking to native glass. I'm planning on swapping my P14-45 for Oly's 12-40/2.8 next year which I believe has a 62mm thread. I could possibly see myself with a 9-18 at sometime in the future. Will vignetting be an issue?

I'm guessing the 85mm is more future proof but more than twice the price of the 67mm, which is also more compact which is a big draw of mu43.

I'm tempted by a couple of deals for the 67mm as for under £100 I can get a decent set up, starter set, 62mm ring and six NDs 3 plain and 3 hard grad. If it's something that doesn't hold my interest then it's no great loss.

Cheers.

2. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    If you scroll down this thread you'll find some information to consider. Looking at the filter holder I think it'd be cutting it close to go with the 67mm if you plan on using it with the Oly 12-40, but I'm not sure.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Yeah, thanks I did read that thread but it still doesn't give a definitive answer. Like other threads that say it may/might be visable at wider angles.

Perhaps I should invest in the 67mm and see. Sure I could sell it on and not take too big a hit on it.

4. trailguru

trailguru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Somerset, England
    Just so happens I have a definite answer for you...

Using the cheap, but plastic, Cokin holder (this can take three filters) on the 12-40 Pro with a slim Hoya UV filter still on you'll get vignetting from about <14mm. If you reem out the largely supurfluous inner edge of the mount (only needed in each of the four 'corners' of the frame and easily done) vignetting is reduced and occurs <13mm. Remove the slim UV filter and you don't get vignetting. I also removed the outer square filter slot to be absolutely sure that, even if the holder is slightly skewed, vignetting won't be an issue.

The 9-18mm lens/Cokin mount is not affected, even with a slim UV filter still attached. If you own both lenses then it's easy enough to switch from the 12-40 to the 9-18 if you need to work at 12-14mm. This is just the range where the 9-18 excells.

As with all vignetting caused by filter mounts etc. stopping down defines the vignette's edge. This reduces the amount it impinges on the image area.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Thanks trailguru, very good info there.

However thanks to Santa I picked up some 67mm Formatt Hitech kit. Holder and adapters, 0.3,0.6&0.9 hard edge ND filters plus 0.6 & 2.4 IRND all where silly cheap, the two IRND filters where less than £5 each.....and new.

Just need to get out and practice with them. By the looks of things I could machine a little material from the holder.