1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What should my next lens be?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cclocke, Jun 5, 2015.

1. cclocke

cclocke New to Mu-43

Sep 10, 2014
    Holliston, MA
    Chris
    Hi all, I currently have an OMD E-M10 with the O25, O40-150R and 14-42 kit lens. I also have a couple cheap konica AR lenses and adapter, 50 f1.7, and 200 f4, and super lentar 35 f2.8.

I purchased the camera primarily to shoot pics of my toddler, and as a result have used the O25 probably 80%, with the other 20% either fooling around with the long zoom lenses. I had relatively no experience prior to purchasing this camera, and have really enjoyed learning about photography and making it into a hobby.

Because of this, I am looking to purchase another lens, but am seeking some advice. I don't really see a need to for a shorter focal length since I don't do much landscape shots. At this point, I'm thinking of a good portrait/tele lens. A lot of the pics I take of my son, I would like to be a lot closer. Would the O45 be too similar to the O25? Another option would be a Sigma 60mm. I also like to dabble with macro shooting, so a tele with a macro option would be awesome too. I'd say my budget is around $300 (or at least an amount I can slide past my wife), so buying used would probably be the best option.

Thanks!

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    If you like the O25 you will like the O45, they take similar albeit at different focal lengths photographs. I am not familiar with the Sigma 60mm, I am not sure that it is a macro lens like the Olympus 60 (which might be out of your budget). For limited macro I use O45 with extension tubes and that combo works well for me.

3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Both the lenses you are looking at are great optically. On m43, people like using 45 mm and above FL as portrait lenses. They can be used for much more, but that is a typical reason you'll see for getting these lenses.

I have the O45 and love it, use it quite a bit. No regrets as the fast aperture is great, AF performance top notch, and sharpness one of the best in it's range. Your field of view will be around 90mm. Your O25 is roughly a 50mm field of view. They will compliment each other nicely. my favorite 3 prime set is the Olympus 17/25/45 f/1.8.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    At its current price, esp used, the Oly 45 is a no-brainier. It's small, light, sharp (even wide open), bright, fast focusing and in general delivers fantastic IQ. Just get one! It's not only a portrait lens though - it's great for a lot of other uses from landscape to cityscape to street.

5. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    25mm, 45mm and 60mm are all vastly different focal lengths on m43. These equate to 50mm, 90mm and 120mm on full frame.

If you love the IQ of the O25, the O45 produces the same results, just in a longer focal length. Almost same physical size, same blazing AF, same rendering of colors, etc... Due to the longer focal length of the 45, you'll be able to achieve better subject separation at wider apertures versus the 25. The 25 and 45 go together like two peas in a pod and is a wonderful one/two lens combo to have.

Haven't shot with the Sigma 60/2.8 so I can't comment but I do own the Olympus 60/2.8. The Olympus is twice the price of the Sigma but IMO, it's worth it, especially if you have even the remotest interest in macro. Brand new, it's a little over your budget but used ones can be found at around $300 if you're patient.

I'm not a big macro shooter myself, but bought the lens due to it's optical quality and focal length and would without any reservations recommend it for anyone interested in this focal length regardless of their interest in macro.

Pros:
    - Technically superb and just about the finest macro lens available on any system, not just m43.
    - Technically one of the best m43 lenses available right now alongside the O75/1.8 and PL42.5/1.2.
    - Is sharper than either the O25/1.8 or the O45/1.8.
    - True 1:1 macro lens.
    - No distortion, no CA and resistant to any type of flare.
    - Sharp wide open at f2.8. No reason to stop down the lens for IQ's sake.
    - Weather resistant.

Cons:
    - AF is a tad slower than the Olympus 25 and 45 but not slow by any measure. On the contrary, AF performance is quite fast, just not blazingly instantaneous like the O25 and O45.
    - No hood included although the optional hood is nice that it's a sliding/telescoping design that's meant to be kept on at all times.

6. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Tyrphoto's advice is right on. I have the o45 and o60. The o60 gets more use because I enjoy macro and while you're tied to home as children tend to do, you can find plenty of macro subjects, from baby's building blocks to garden flowers to shoot.

So for best portrait of baby outside of the Oly 75, the o45 for its low light and separation capability.

For Dad's entertainment and time-killing factor, while taking nice portraits as well, the o60 macro.

7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Olympus 45, Sigma 60, or maybe the Panasonic 14 (maybe).

Both the 46 and 60 are relatively cheap, both are also in the range of classic portraiture focal lengths (I actually prefer something longer like the 75 but that's in another price range). Ones faster, ones longer, both are very good.

Either of the above might be more useful than the 14mm, but it's a fun little thing that mates well with E-M10 for a really small setup that's jacket pocket friendly. 14 / 25 / 45 would be a nice little kit.

8. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    O45 vs S60. You already cover this range, take the 40-150 and try to compare the two focal lengths, indoor and outdoor.
    Also compare the 25 and the 45 focal length framing the same subject. It can look silly but you will notice a LOT of things about FoV, isolation, etc.

I think that the longer focal length of the S60 can be more useful for candid portraits (and the lens is extremely sharp wide open, more than the 45 at any aperture). 60mm gives more isolation in terms of FoV and background blur is almost the same (Oly wins only up to f2). Oly is brighter but you already have a fast lens in the O25.

Both can be used with extension tubes (or you can use the 40-150 with a macro closeup adapter). If you can stretch the budget O60 is great, if you won't do macro is an excellent lens anyway but way too expensive IMO (I own it and the price still bothers me).

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Not similar.
    Buy it.

10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As someone who owns the 25mm f1.8, 45mm f1.8 and 60mm f2.8 Macro, and also has young kids, I would say get the macro. 25mm and 45mm have a lot of overlap in what they can accomplish and sometimes 45mm doesn't feel like a big change from the 25mm when swapping. 60mm definitely feels like a big change in focal length. 60mm f2.8 and 45mm f1.8 give about the same BG blur for portraits. When the light really drops and you are shooting indoors, 25mm is better than 45mm anyway. 60mm is an AMAZING macro lens, too. You may find you move from macro "dabbler" to "enthusiast" when you see how easy it is to get great macros with that lens. Only real downside is that it is a bit more expensive and fairly long compared to the 25mm and 45mm, but it is very light. You wanted to keep it around $300, and Olympus often sells them for $319 as refurbs or you can find them on the used market for about that.

45mm is great, too, I just think as a lens team, 25/60mm macro is far more versatile.

Some of the above would apply to the Sigma 60mm, but if you want to shoot macro, why would you get a non-macro 60mm f2.8? By the time you pay for auto-tubes or close up lenses, you'll have spent half the price difference anyway. And those aren't going to give the kind of results and easy of use the dedicated macro is.

11. cclocke

cclocke New to Mu-43

Sep 10, 2014
    Holliston, MA
    Chris
    Hi guys, I really appreciate all the responses. This board really is awesome with some great contributors.

I decided to go with the 45mm per most of your suggestions, over the Sigma 60mm. I pulled my 40-150 and tested different focal lengths, and the 60mm was just too long to use for my son indoors, while I think the 45mm will be perfect. I actually found a black one barely used in excellent condition on ebay for $200, and already purchased it, I can't wait to try it out.

Additionally, I was considering the 60mm 2.8 macro per tyrphoto and tkbslc, and it definitely looks like an amazing lens, but with it being slightly out of price range as well as the focal length issue mentioned above, I think the O45 is the better choice at this time. That being said, my plan is to add extension tubes to the O45 and fool around with it as a macro, and if macro shooting catches on for me, I think the 60mm will be my next purchase.

Also, David thanks for the suggestion on the P14. I think that'll be a great wide angle focal length lens (and cheap) to go with the O25 and O45 if I decide to purchase a wide angle lens in the future for landscape shots and what not. At this point though, the portrait lens for both indoor and outdoor with good AF was my top priority, and I think the O45 was my best option. I'll let you guys know how it goes once I get it, and once again really appreciate all the advice.

12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Despite my advice above, I am sure you will like the 45mm. It's a very good lens.

Instead of extension tubes, you may try one of the MCON adapters from Olympus. The MCON-P01 would work on your zooms or the MCON-P02 on your primes.