1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What should I use?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by 2mnycars, Jul 27, 2014.

1. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    for a lightweight system.

I have an OMD M-5 and E-PM2. 2 kit zooms and a moderate tele zoom. All Oly lenses.
    Issues? getting heavy to carry. I have a grip on my M-5.

I started with a Sony Nex5. two lenses. they were good, but large. menus were awful

i traded that for the M5

i had a Nikon 1V1. 3 lenses.

would the Pany long range zoom be sharper, have good contrast and colour?

2. Engawa

Engawa Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2014
    I have a pretty lightweight system consisting of the gm-1 and e-pm2.

If you replace your m5 with the gm1, you can also replace the 14-42 with the 12-32mm gm1 kit lens, which is very small and lightweight.

If you need a viewfinder, you can buy one for the e-pm2. I bought a VF4 for my e-pm2 but it hasn't arrived yet. I think the e-pm2 and VF4 would be about 100 grams lighter than the M5.

I have a Panasonic 45-200mm telephoto lens but I may replace it with the new very small Panasonic 35-100 kit lens when it comes out. It depends on how light it is as the 45-200mm is only 200 grams.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    What are you planning on photographing?

--Ken

4. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Ken good question.
    Cars at speed
    birds in flight
    our 2 Golden Retrievers running

me sitting on a lawnchair

My lovely wife, racing, and skiing

5. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Landscapes. Flowers. some microphotograhy

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    For whatever reason you find either the em5 or the epm2 too heavy with the kit lenses, I may suggest that this system is not right for you...perhaps something like the Olympus Stylus might be a better choice

K

• Like Like x 1
  7. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    The first gen 14-140 is quite a heavy lens, that being said having tried other 'super zooms' it is head and shoulders above the others including the Nikon 18-200. I like it as a lens apart from the weight and somedays it is too heave to use with my fybro, DSLR became completely unusable. However I have done very large prints from it and they have been perfectly good, very good really, so if you want an all in one for that range its good. I have not tried any fast moving action with it apart from a 2 year old running around, so can not say about cars and such, it does not balance at all well on the EPM2. Depending on what you want it may be worth looking at the weight difference between the 2 only lenses you have and the 14-140 and do consider the Panasonic 12-32mm lens it weighs nothing and is really nice in use it has become just about my favourite lens, certainly zoom.

8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree.. but would recommend a Sony RX100 instead.

Or

Simply just carry the EPM2 + 1 lens.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    The Oly 40-150 is very light, and can be quite a decent performer. They are "cheap and cheerful" as far as kit tele lenses go, but my copy has served me well when I do not need fast glass.

--Ken

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    I am concerned. I have great experience going back to film days. I had pro gear and a successful business. I produced good saleable images.
    Yet I am not getting good results with this camera, with subjects such as the ones described.

could be my settings.

could be the way I use the camera.

weight of the camera itself is not a problem. Add all my m43 gear and it is. I have muscle spasms now. 2 cameras, a grip and 3 lenses seems heavy.

11. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    It is not going to be easy to get much lighter in m4/3rd's than with the bodies that you have mentioned, excepting the GM1. If weight is a significant issue, and it sounds like it, consider some of the 1" sensors that are on the market. Unless you are blowing up to images of 16x20 or larger, the IQ is reasonably nice if you keep the ISO's at or below 800. It is something to consider, especially if you are not that happy with your current results.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  12. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    Don't make a decision yet. Photokina is just around the corner and I have the feeling that the new Pany LX8 will be ideal.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    problem is I am not getting sufficient keepers using my OMD and chosen lenses.

i throw too many images away.

14. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    It has been a while.

Changes.

E-PM2 is gone with its kit lens

OMD is still here. Reason! It's a pretty good $450 camera. that's right.

----edit: it's now a really good $300 camera. That's right. My whole bag of gear is worth less than it cost me to buy the grip alone----

OMD M-5 with Oly grip, 12-50 kit lens, and 40-110 zoom Oly is only worth $450 for trade in. from the company I bought it from.

Edit

That gear cost about $2,000 Canadian. My it depreciates so quickly.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  15. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    Gm1 + lx100

• Like Like x 1
  16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Or Panasonic's DMC FZ100. 1" sensor camera, superzoom, 25 to 400mm range. It's not really lightweight, though, and probably heavier than your E-M5 with a small plastic 40-150 zoom lens. Still, the range and overall portability of the package may make it worth a look.

17. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Honestly, I'd recommend dropping the second camera body and get something like a 2 prime kit, perhaps the 17/1.8 and 45/1.8, then if you need more reach, the 40-150/4-5.6 is small, light.

I could shoot quite a bit with that and be happy. The body you keep would be up to you, but I would lean more toward the EM-5, if it were me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA

Those lenses being the 12-50 and 40-150 zoom's? Good, but slow consumer lenses. maybe not so good for someone who has sold prints in the past and expects more. You could start with a second hand prime lens, and by the time you have the ones that fill your needs, you could have bought the 12-40 PRO. Either way, no one ever blames the primes or the 12-40 for not delivering keepers.

• Like Like x 1
  19. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    you nailed it.

i have enough experience now to do as well as I can with my lenses

but this equipment doesn't hold value.

it makes it hard to spend more

20. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Keeping the OMD E-M5 and getting 17mm and 45mm lenses is exactly what I would recommend also.

• Like Like x 1