What should I do with this broken(?) lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ibd, Nov 13, 2017 at 5:52 AM.

1. ibd

ibd Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2016
    I got this Minolta 35-70mm lens as part of a whole box of lenses a while ago. It seems that the front part is broken as I can see some uneven ring and screws. There is also a lot of play (movement) in the front part.
    The zoom mechanism works. When pushing the lever on the back, the aperture opens. By default, it seems to "rest" around f/8 or so.

I tried "selling it for free" (anyone can have it for shipping costs), but no one wanted it.

Instead of throwing it away, is there anything else I could do with it?
    Things that might be interesting:
    - Take it apart, just for fun
    - Use it for "spare parts", for example for adapting a lens that has no fitting adapter
    - Reverse mount it and use it as a cheap macro? Although the filter thread seems weak, made of plastic.

Please tell me if you know a way to recycle this lens. I'm sure it can generate some images still!

_1010216. _1010215. _1010214.

2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I usually use primes for reversing, but as long as no elements are missing/displaced this should work OK.
    I generally prefer using the 2 lens reverse technique with the lens reversed onto another lens rather than direct to the body.
    If your concerned about the strength of the filter rings just glue a suitable metal stepping/reversing/coupling ring onto them.

I'd certainly try using the lens in it's entirety before anything involving dismantling it.

If you like experimenting with optics then you could find the individual elements useful, recombining them to give different results. I have a small collection of elements & have read up on DIY lens design, but have yet to actually try anything. I suspect it would probably be rather advanced for most people quite possibly including myself! This Flickr group has loads of advise/resourses on such experiments.
    If the mount fits any of your adapters in might be useful for DIY projects such as perhaps a 'plunger cam' style tilt shift lens, but a mount that goes directly to your camera would usually be better & can be found quite cheaply on e-bay.

If the lens turns out to be useless for macro, I'd happily take it apart & keep the mount, elements & iris - much to my wife's despair! Even if you're not keeping the parts learning for taking it apart before binning the bits is IMO a worthwhile exercise.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    @ibd@ibd, aperture mechanisms can often be reused for other projects, although I'm not sure what notorized ones look like.