What should I do (/keep me in the fold)?

Real Name
Andrew L
I've gotten the go ahead from my wife to get a new camera... That is to get a newer generation than the one I have. Partially it's the size of the GX1 (which I like but don't love), partially just GAS, I know. But another entry into the fold would sure be fun! Also, my wife covets my GX1 with LVF2 more than a little, so it could stay around. I wouldn't exactly like parting with it.

So my budget probably wouldn't be much over $600, but there have been a few I've been kicking around for quite a while. One is the oddball Pentax K01, which I could have fun finding older Pentax lenses for. Then there's the EM10, of course. But lately the idea of the Fuji X100 has been really tempting, especially since I love that focal length, and the classic rangefinder style and function. What should I do?

•••GX1+LVF-2+Olympus 17mm f/2.8, GF3; Konica FS-1, C35v; various lenses•••

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
The X100 is a nice camera, but it will never grow. It will eventually become way out-dated and pretty much "disposable" as new camera technologies. come up. In fact, the X100 is already very old, though still viable. The E-M10 is a start to a system which you can expand on and grow as much as your funds and desire allow. It will never stop growing, and never stop getting better. It is not a one-trick pony and is versatile to use in all types of photography to do whatever you want it to do, with the right glass and accessories... all of which it is compatible with. It also has better Autofocus, IBIS, etc...

As far as the viewfinder goes, I personally much prefer the ultra-high resolution EVF over the parallax finder of the X100, though that's a personal preference. Some like having something optical, but the crop markings don't do it for me. Plus the EVF has a myriad of other advantages such as live exposure, live color, focus magnification, etc...

Galengwath

Mu-43 Regular
I would also suggest the E-M10. It's a wonderfully versatile and well built camera, and it will last you a long time.

Real Name
Andrew L
I should add, part of the X100's appeal is the lack of accessorizing. I'm already in the m4/3 system, and won't be exiting it, so that system is completely available to me anyway. A system I won't add to, but simply use for its own merits, till such a time as it's too out of date to enjoy using, is rather appealing. So the main question with the X100 is, is it still viable?

And should I be concerned at all with the EM10 having the sensor that's already been out for awhile, rather than the most up to date one Olympus has released? I know, I'm considering an older sensor already, but the Fuji is a little different being APS-C.

As for the GX7, I've used it a little and it didn't stick with me, not then anyway (though I didn't really have the time to give it a fair shake). The VF is kind of narrow and awkward for me to put my eye up to.

•••GX1+LVF-2+Olympus 17mm f/2.8, GF3; Konica FS-1, C35v; various lenses•••

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
But lately the idea of the Fuji X100 has been really tempting, especially since I love that focal length, and the classic rangefinder style and function. What should I do?
Fuji X100 has nothing to do with rangefinder function. :|

Sure, buy an X100, good value, good stuff, but since you've already got lenses treat yourself to a used e-P2 + VF-2 and weld that 17mm to it.

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
I went that road and sold my mft to get the x100. And 9months later sold it to get back to mft...
Today i think im able to recreate the same look with my em5 and p20 with some pp in lightroom. And i get a body that is way snappier. Yes even i was disturbud by the laziness from x100. And with adding the o45 i get lightning fast af with another focal length...
And for the look. I thought the x100 looked too much retro. Nah im very very happy today with my em5. So agentlossing... dont switch;)

wildwildwes

Mu-43 Veteran
And should I be concerned at all with the EM10 having the sensor that's already been out for awhile, rather than the most up to date one Olympus has released? I know, I'm considering an older sensor already, but the Fuji is a little different being APS-C.

How often do you shoot? Do you print a lot of your images? If so, how large and how often? What will you use the new camera for (snapshots, professional jobs)?

I kind of get amused when I read folks going on about their latest 16 Mega-pixel sensors being obsolete, etc... The fact is that MOST of us will NEVER EVER exceed the technological specs of the current crop of better digital cameras / sensors. Sure, AF speed and perhaps other functions that make life easier will "improve", but image quality is already far better than we were able to obtain using film cameras...

I guess what I'm getting at is that you'll be hard-pressed to lose out by purchasing a technological marvel like the E-M10, GX7 or even the X100. Get to know whatever camera you decide upon investing in WELL and then go out and make beautiful images! You'll be good to go for MANY MANY MANY MANY years!

Cheers-

w

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
And should I be concerned at all with the EM10 having the sensor that's already been out for awhile, rather than the most up to date one Olympus has released? I know, I'm considering an older sensor already, ...
Do you think the "most up to date" sensor is better in any way than the "out for a while" E-M10's sensor? If so, in what way?

davidzvi

Real Name
David
Do you think the "most up to date" sensor is better in any way than the "out for a while" E-M10's sensor? If so, in what way?

One thing I actually consider to be a good thing with m4/3 and Fuji is that they are NOT just sticking new sensors in a body and calling it an update. All the current system sensors are pretty good and while I'm sure they will get even better I'd rather see the cameras / lenses get the attention and not the sensors.

Real Name
Andrew L

Well, shouldn't it be? I know the EM5 sensor was a breakthrough sensor, but now we have the EM1 and GH4 out with further breakthroughs. The EM10 is a reiteration of one generation back. Which isn't necessarily bad, at all. I just wondered if very many users out there had run into limitations they'd suggest avoiding.

nstelemark

Originally E.V.I.L.
Real Name
Larry
Well, shouldn't it be? I know the EM5 sensor was a breakthrough sensor, but now we have the EM1 and GH4 out with further breakthroughs. The EM10 is a reiteration of one generation back. Which isn't necessarily bad, at all. I just wondered if very many users out there had run into limitations they'd suggest avoiding.

The only improvement with the E-M1 is on chip PDAF which really only benefits 4/3 glass. I cannot tell the difference between the E-M5 and E-M1 sensor with roughly equivalent settings. Also really it is the imaging pipeline not just the sensor, the processor plays a large role in this, and the E-M10 has the same processor as the E-M1.

Latest threads

Top Bottom