What should I do? GX1 or G5?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by redalien, Jan 7, 2013.

1. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    I have been contemplating what camera body to get to upgrade my poor little GF2 (I picked the wrong horse to bet on with that one).

Lucky me got a PL 25mm lens for Christmas so now the money I was saving for that lens is available to get a new body.
    The G5 looks really good to me, main reason is the built in viewfinder which I think will greatly help me to get in the zone when I take pictures and shoot more keepers.
    On the other hand some GX1 body's are available for 300$ brand new, but then I would really want the LV2 accessories so that puts my budget on even terms with the G5.

A little voice inside is telling me I should wait a little longer and see if there is a GX2 coming maybe. Most certainly the price on that would be higher then my current budget, but if the product is great, I will sell my body to get what I want.

Many threads I read here hoping to make a decision, but I haven't seen a compelling case for choosing between these 2 products.

Finally, to help understand my needs, I usually shoot my 2 wonderful kids as an enthusiast, but I do have a drive to search for events or objects in life that are worth a click. Right now I am busy being a dad so not much focus on photography, but eventually I would like to chase the perfect picture moments as a full time hobby.
  2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    If you want a solid camera that's very similar to your GF2 in feel but improved all around, the GX1 is great. Otherwise, my vote would be for the G5, especially if you're going to put the LVF2 on the GX1 anyway because your total cost will be very close.

The G5 has some minor but noticeable improvements over the GX1 output in my experience also. For example, I find the G5 at ISO 3200 to look cleaner than the GX1 did. In addition, there's the in-built viewfinder, swivel screen, excellent ergonomics and handling, longer battery life, the electronic (silent) shutter option, and various other add-ons such as in-camera HDR if you shoot JPEG.
  3. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Your input helped, thanks, G5 is on the way, hope to get it before the end of the week.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    That G3 is looking good @ it's price and not a lot missing compared to G5. More money for lenses:biggrin: plus the panny body prices have been dropping like stones so a G5 might cost a little more than a song in a yr or 2.
  5. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Except the ergonomics are way way behind the G5... I have both and the G3 is now Ms. ara85's occasional camera... Don't get me wrong - the camera is great for the money, but try bringing up the Q menu and altering stuff without breaking a finger in contorting it to hit buttons or taking your eye away from the viewfinder and you'll see what I mean...
  6. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    I think I got a decent deal for 499 on the g5, if prices do drop, they wont go much lower until the next model comes out which i think wont be for a t least 6 months. The g3 is a great deal right now, but if I want to upgrade again when the next model comes out i think i have a better value in the g5 for resale.
  7. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    Hope you enjoy the G5 I am hoping to upgrade from my GF1 and would have gone for the G5 over the GX1
  8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Congrats on the G5!!! Woohoo!!