What should be the next Panasonic "Leica" lens?

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I would take a 17/1.2 or 17/1.4 to go with my 25/1.4 and 42.5/1.2. Don't care if it's Olympus or Panasonic. Might even swap the 25/1.4 for a 17/1.2

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
At 1:1 the Olympus 60mm is only about 47mm due to focus breathing, which at 94mm equivalent puts it a little longer than a lot of conventional 90mm macro lenses (which are often around ~87 to begin with at infinity). Most of the long IF macro lenses (180-200) end up around 115-118mm or so at 1:1 which is getting pretty hardcore for use on the M43 crop.
What is focus breathing?

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
What is focus breathing?

Many lenses, especially lenses that focus internally (as apposed to extending when focusing) change their focal length (the focal length gets shorter/angle of view gets wider) as they focuses closer. This is most often noticeable with telephoto and macro lenses.

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
Many lenses, especially lenses that focus internally (as apposed to extending when focusing) change their focal length (the focal length gets shorter/angle of view gets wider) as they focuses closer. This is most often noticeable with telephoto and macro lenses.

Thanks

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro

It's not really a good or a bad thing - just - it's a choice they make. There is a certain amount of annoyance in having the perspective change (eg objects grow and shrink relative to each other) as you focus and a certain amount of annoyance in having the lens extend (eg for tripod/mounted flash work or if you have to re-setup the whole shot with the new lens dimensions) to change magnification. For most other lenses - the focus breathing is a good compromise that nobody will ever really notice happening. For macro - there is nowhere to hide the low level mechanics of it, and if you want things act differently they have to work a certain way.

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro

Unit focusing lenses also focus breathe however the field of view gets narrower as you focus closer, if you can balance the field of view narrowing by shortening the focal length you can minimize the amount of focus breathing. Broadcast TV lenses are a good example of lenses that do this by moving several groups at once when focusing so that focus breathing is almost completely countered, it's generally a highly touted selling point if you look at their brochures.

LV426

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Dan
I have been looking at upgrading my adapted minolta 50mm to a faster version. Got me thinking that a nice f1.4 65mm (or 60) could be fun and useful. Maybe possible as they have a 15, 25, 42.5 and 45mac - next up is 10mm or 60ish or both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JDK504

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I would take a 17/1.2 or 17/1.4 to go with my 25/1.4 and 42.5/1.2. Don't care if it's Olympus or Panasonic. Might even swap the 25/1.4 for a 17/1.2

I doubt Pany will put out a 17 since they just made the 15. Why they made it 1.7 is beyond me? It would have been a no brainer to pick up at 1.2 or 1.4.

Im hoping Olympus puts some fast glass at the standard 35mmfl with its new lenses.

Latest threads

Top Bottom