What should be the next lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sin77, Dec 21, 2011.

1. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I currently own G3 with 2 lenses, 14-42 kit lens and 45/f2.8 macro.

I am contemplating among these lenses for my next purchase:
    20/1.7
    45-175 X
    100-300

Any advice?

Do you think manufacturers will launch any fast/bright zoom lens in the near future?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would go for the 20mm/1.7 to better match your 45mm Macro-Elmarit. If you really need the telephoto though, then get a telephoto. However, keep in mind that you can also get an adapted telephoto and still keep the fast lens speed. I wouldn't buy a native telephoto yet because they're all slow. Filling up your collection of fast primes is a good way to go for the moment though, if you want to wait around for fast telephotos to come to the system (which you seem to indicate you want to do). Personally, I only use fast lenses on my camera, so I use adapted lenses to complete the range.

In the future yes - it's inevitable. In the "near" future... who knows?

Personally, I don't think fast zooms are what's most necessary at the moment. The thing missing most to make the system "complete" are fast telephoto primes. If there were a couple of telephoto primes made (ie, like maybe a 150mm and a 300mm), then we would have two choices for people which offer a complete range, both compact. Either fast primes from wide (12mm) to long, or slow zooms from ultra-wide (7mm) to super-tele (300mm). People could choose if they value a wider aperture or zoom, and choose a COMPLETE compact lens kit based on that criteria. Those who value zoom range over everything else at the moment can choose what they want, but those of us who value lens speed have the choice of ONLY standard range from 12-45mm and we must suffer with a slow lens if we want to go telephoto and stay native. That's the biggest limitation we have with native lenses at the moment.

Then down the road after those lines have been completed (the slow, compact zooms are already done), then they can start building on fast zooms for people who want what both paths offer (zoom and lens speed) but compact size is no longer a requirement. To me though, it doesn't make sense to manufacture fast zooms until AFTER the telephoto fast primes, since we currently only have HALF of a usable system in fast primes.

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    What do you shoot? They are three fairly different lenses with very different strengths...

4. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Another forum told me about Panasonic 14-140. I am quite inclined towards it.

For me I shoot anything, but not buy everything at one go. I heard that next month there will be new lenses from Panasonic. I hope they launch bright zoom lenses.

5. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Ned, u gave very good advice. How about when 14-140 comes into picture? What do u think?

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    A superzoom has one purpose, and one purpose only. That is to provide an extended focal length range, the equivalent of about 2 lenses.

If the compact size is kept relative to the two lenses it replaces, everything else about a superzoom will be inferior, from sharpness to lens speed. If you want maximum performance out of your lenses then separate them into more specialized focal lengths. If you just want convenience then you can go ahead with the superzoom...

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    If you have this question you shouldn't be buying any new lens for now.

8. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    If you like the rendering and feel of the PL45 then I'd definitely marry it with PL25. The 20/1.7 might disappoint - it did for me in comparison with the PL25/1.4 - images are sharp but seem 'cold' when side by side with the 25mm. For what it's worth, I am approaching this from the exact reverse, have PL25 and absolutely love it - now that it's time for something long the 20mm pancake and 14-45 have been sold with zero regrets and the PL45 is on its way....seemed the only the logical choice.:wink:

9. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    What Art said! But, leaving that aside for the moment... in your shoes, I'd be picking up a 20mm f/1.7 (one of my favourite lenses).

10. cameronp

cameronp Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 10, 2011
    Kent, UK
    What photos do you want to take that you can't take with your current kit?

11. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    I agree - you should try and only buy a lens when you feel you want to take photos you can't with your current set up.

That said I guess you can get the 20 1.7 in order to explore taking photos without flash in low light or getting a more shallow depth of field.

Or get the telephoto if you want to shoot wildlife..

12. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    i'll pick the 20 pancake. but of course, it will boil down to what your needs are based on what your current kit can't provide.

13. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Go on, treat yourself. :smile:

Try the Pany 7-14mm, now there IS A lens. :smile: