What settings to improve EP5 video

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by hemuni, Sep 15, 2014.

1. hemuni

hemuni Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    So one of the few things that really saddens me about my ep5 is the horribly looking video. It's just such a shame because I actually really like the video interface. Especially the awesome sensor crop implementation, where you can move the preview window to where you want to zoom in and then activate the zoom in real time without having to reframe. Great for casual shooting, where you want to grab a quick closeup. It's almost like shooting with two cameras. And of course let's not forget the "steadycam" ibis. I only shoot family videos and mostly kids, so everything is handheld running and gunning and most of the time I'm interacting, supporting and occasionally catching a falling kid, so the the insanely great stabilization really comes in handy for my less than optimal camera handling.
    My question is if anybody has any suggestions for improving the quality of my ep5 video. I was wondering if it would be possible to dial down on the camera settings and then improve the quality in post. I haven't really tried as I do not have a lot of experience with grading and such and I would mostly just be fumbling around blind. I use fcp x for my editing and I do some light color/contrast corrections when needed, but that's about it. Does anybody have a workflow or experience that can improve on the Oly video or maybe point me to information that might help me accomplish this?

2. Larry H-L

Larry H-L Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Ohio, USA
    Larry
    I think most people do exactly as you suggest: take the sharpness, saturation, and contrast settings way down, then adjust in post.

• Like Like x 1
  3. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    If you do that and render to a good codec, I think you'll be pleased.

• Like Like x 1
  4. hemuni

hemuni Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to just give it a try.

5. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Montreal
    Also, shoot in 1/60 of a sec.

6. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  7. hemuni

hemuni Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    Yes I read that post before. Thanks for guiding me to your post though. That seems really helpful. I'll try playing around with your suggestions.

8. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    What specific problem are you having? Moire is the main problem with E-P5 and E-M5 video. To help minimize it I shoot at ISO 200 and a nearly wide open f number in aperture priority mode and pan slowly. I do the same with my GH4, although I can pan much faster because the GH4 is almost moire proof when shooting in 4K recording mode.

Of course if you're shooting indoors you may need to bump up the ISO.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hemuni

hemuni Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    Mostly I just find it really harsh looking. I'm not so concerned with the pixelation from movements. I can live with that. Moire hasn't really been a problem at least not that I've noticed. Colors are generally pleasing and I like the handling though I miss the pana focus assist for manual lenses and video is less detailed than what I see from my gx7. I have been shooting fully automated and I suspect that is part of the problem. I'll try and play around with shutter speeds and my nd filter, dial down contrast and sharpness and see what that gets me. With the gx7 I can hardly do anything wrong the video always just looks great, but ois is less than stellar for video and there's no ibis for manual lenses. So I'm trying again to see if I can get something acceptable from the ep5. I'm not looking for perfect but it has to be better than what I'm seeing now.