1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What settings for EP2 and legacy glass?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Peter, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Peter

Peter New to Mu-43

Sep 18, 2010
    Hi

I am new to M4/3 cameras. I am a pretty experienced photographer, and the size and quality output of these cameras really appealed.

I now have an EP2 and zoom kit, along with the EVF. A friend has a GF1 and an old Konica 40mm lens and I love the images. His adapter will work on my EP2 so I want to try his lens. On the Gf1 you simply press the click wheel to get the zoom in feature for focusing these old lenses.

I can't seem to get a simple way to do this on my new camera.

I would really appreciate some advice on how to set my camera for the MF assist function.

As an aside, do you generally find that the magnified mode is necessary for MF?

Last question: since the autofocus won't be operational, is it necessary to choose a single focus point for legacy glass - or do I simply assume focus in the centre of the view?

Finally, apologies that my first post here is a pile of questions... :frown:

2. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    Hi Peter, welcome to this excellent forum!

In the manual from my E-P2 I couln't find the easy way to get the magnification, but just by coincidence I found it:

Press the "Info"button beneed the round wheel until a green focus box appears in the viewfinder or on screen.
    Now you are able to position this box all over the screen where you need it by pressing the round wheel. Then press the middle button (OK) of the wheel and -bang- you'll get the magnification.
    Press it again and the normal size of the green-box will come back. That's all!

Happy shooting!

• Like Like x 1
  3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Also you may find just eye-balling the picture in the LCD is good enough. Its only when you zoom in (say a 100% crop) that you notice 'the fuzzies'. So it depends a bit on how you plan on using the images.

I've been out at night a few times with my legacy Pen f1.4 38mm and about 50% are a little off but still look great. I wouldn't have been able to get the shots at all if I'd had to bring up the 7 or 10x zoom to get the focus just right.

Having said that - if you have a tripod or are setting up a static shot (ie no time pressure) then the zoom is a god-send.

Cheers,
    Raj.

4. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    I have the same EVF (on an E-PL1) and get 90% shots pin sharp without zooming... that was the reason I bought the EVF in the first place! (I couldn't focus accurately using just the screen)

5. bpalme

bpalme Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2010
    Also after you press Ok to zoom you can toggle 7X and 10X with the silver dial. Too bad we don't have a dedicated button like the EPL1

6. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    We sort of do... press the INFO button when the green zoom box is displayed and you can up/down between 7x, 10x, 14x.

7. Snapshot32

Snapshot32 New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2011
    Morristown, NJ USA
    I use the [Info] button to select the viewfinder-zoom feature (aka MF Assist or Focus Assist), so that manual focus will be assisted by a magnified image (7x or 10x). (I Press OK to actually zoom in)

When done focusing use the "OK" button again to cancel the zoom, since pressing the shutter does not do so. (The G1 does cancel zoom when you shoot!)

A half-press on the shutter button should cancel the zoom, as it does on the G1. That would make things nice and fast.

8. dvdjn56

dvdjn56 New to Mu-43

Apr 15, 2011
    I am using an EPL-2 with canon 50mm macro & adapter plus both the VF-2 and a FL-36R in wireless mode. I find that just using the VF-2 allows me to focus quite well manually without having to fiddle with the zoom function. Check out one of captures...
    P414147706.

9. cinemafia

cinemafia Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Thanks so much! I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do this with my adapted FD 50/1.8, and now I know! :biggrin: