What setting do you use?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ampl465a, Oct 2, 2012.

1. ampl465a

ampl465a Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Being new to the camera/ system I am wondering what setting most of you use. iAuto or P or what and do you leave the ISO on auto or do you set it. Sorry for the dumb questions but trying to fast track my learning curve from your experience. Thanks.
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    A, sometimes S, sometimes M. Only ever in iAuto if I'm handing the camera to someone unfamiliar with it. ISO generally manually set, if light changes a lot set to Auto with an upper limit of about 3200, 6400 depending on lighting conditions.
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would never use iAuto and Program I use only with a manual aperture lens, in which case P is the same as Aperture Priority with an auto lens. Using a native lens, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual are all you need. The purpose of the photographer behind the camera is to create the photo and choose how he/she wants it to look.

The only time I would use Auto ISO is in conjunction with Shutter Priority for high-speed action. Any other time, it's picked manually. Even for action it's normally picked manually, but Tv with Auto ISO can be a handy combination at times.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Agent00soul

Agent00soul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    I use A-mode with Auto-ISO maxed to 1600 almost always, except when I'm using flash in the studio (then it's M-mode and ISO 200).
    • Like Like x 1
  5. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Yup. Same here.
  6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Your question is like asking, "What gear do you use while driving...do you use D, or O, or do you shift gears manually?"

Everyone will have a different answer.

My own is, "I don't like the camera making decisions for me, so most of the time my exposure, ISO, white balance, etc., will all be set manually. Do anything automatic and you'll end up with a middle of the road exposure, or the camera can be fooled. Also I don't use the same settings every time, and will even change settings for multiple shots of the same item for different effects."

The whole idea having a camera with manual controls is to learn how to use them. But if you're happy with the automatic or scene modes that's fine too, but not for me.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    This is what I use most, except that I do also use auto ISO with an upper limit (usually 1600) set. I auto is handy when letting someone else use the camera - it works surprisingly well. I prefer controlling the aperture, so that's my primary mode. :cool:
  8. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I work on the premise A= amateur, P= Pro, S= sunshine, M= murky lol, just kidding.

I only ever use A, S or M modes depending what I'm doing, usually A mode as I like to control the DOF and do a lot of landscape and the like. When shooting with a tele lens I usually use S to manage the shutter speed, but sometimes I want to manage both shutter and aperture and are less concerned about ISO so use M mode.
    I typically have the ISO set to auto (except on M mode) and let it select up to 3200.

9. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

Not too many people here using iAuto!

I find it useful when I need to get the shot very quickly, and don't have time to look at the exposure histogram, worry about depth of field, etc.

Otherwise it's usually A. Sometime S if I want to select a fast shutter speed. ISO is auto, with a top limit of 1600.

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It all depends. If I'm just wandering around, and not really focues on photography, I'll use P and auto-ISO. Program shift lets me adjust the the desired aperture just as A mode does (or shutter speed in S mode), but if it's really a grab shot without time to worry about setting I know that P will at least get me a decent exposure.

For more serious shooting, again, it all depends. Most of the time probably aperture priority, with ISO set manually according to the lighting conditions. But if I'm going to be moving in and out of doors, or think the lighting might change quite a bit for any reason, I may use auto ISO.

If I'm shooting sports I usually choose set the aperture to the widest available, and let camera choose shutter speed, But if I want to freeze action, I'll do the reverse.

Really, it all depends.