1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What SD card do you use on your OM-D?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by memzinla, Apr 6, 2013.

1. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a SanDisk class 10 64gb card, but it seems to give me errors from time to time on the OM-D. I was a bit nervous before buying because I didn't know if the 64gb version was reliable. I bought it, and used it on a Canon T2i, Canon 6D, and a Pentax K-5 II. I didn't have a problem with those cameras. Sometimes the camera gives me an error, and I can't take a picture or see the pictures on the card. Sometimes taking the card out, and putting it back in solves the problem. It doesn't work all the time though.

I'm curious. What SD card do you use on your OM-D? I'm thinking of buying one that's 32gb.

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    never had a problem with a card in 10 years of shooting digital.... but then again have used the biggest/latest/fastest card at any point in time.

currently use 16G cards which I clear after every serious shoot and reformat

considering I get more than 700 shots on a 16g card, I cant imagine wanting to shoot on a larger card.

maybe I have just been lucky

K

3. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I use 16gb trascend UHS I (85MBs) - I format them everytime i download everything to my computer.

never had any problem.

4. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    The reason I bought 64gb was because I was going to Mexico for 7 weeks, and I don't have a laptop. I was a bit nervous to use someone elses computer because I connected my portable hard drive to transfer the pictures, and the computer had a virus. It transferred to the portable hard drive, and my files weren't accessible. :O I was mad. haha.

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Been using SanDisk 32 Extreme Pro ... the ones with the 95mb/s. No problems whatsoever.

6. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I only ever buy Sandisk, SD and CF, cards. I have never had a problem with one. I have a 64GB SD card which has never missed a beat. Sandisk is like a de facto standard. With Hasselblad, they are the one card that never causes any issues.

7. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Hapy Lexar Professional user here. 32GB UHS-I SDHC, 64GB UHS-I SDXC - no issues whatsoever with OM-D and E-P2.

I also have a regular class 10 (non-UHS) Lexar Pro 32GB SDHC that caused me some grief with the cameras showing "card error" on power-on and write, and that was from early days of having this card - basically same symptoms as the OP stated - ejecting and re-inserting would sometimes fix the issue. Never a problem in a card reader though.

8. Nordiquefan

Nordiquefan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I use 95MB/s SanDisk Extreme Pro as well. I prefer to use lots of smaller cards, usually 8GB tops. In the event of a corrupt card, which I have experienced (with other brands), I lose fewer images.

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I meant to say I never used the biggest/latest/fastest/ card

K

10. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

I generally buy whatever's cheap, and only Patriot has given me problems (and then, it seemed only one batch). I buy on price from either Fry's locally, or from Newegg or other places. I have a couple of 32GB cards, but generally stick to 16 or 8 GB cards and just swap them out. Too many eggs in one basket and all that....

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Yes, and I have also compared them against 30mb/s and 45mb/s Sandisk cards I've got and the EM-5 really does take advantage of the difference in speed. My GX1 didn't, nor does my current G5.

12. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Where did you buy it...some online sellers sell counterfeits that have issues on Olys (CF) but not other brands.

13. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    I think the key point should be "newest..." let other more adventurous souls field-test new cards first, and also give time for manufacturing problems to surface.

---------

I have been using SanDisk extreme pro 32GB and have never ran into any problems. The backup 400x Lexar 32GB cards also work just fine. I am not ready to venture into SDXCs yet... high price being one of the reasons.

14. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah! I wonder what it could be. I haven't had the issue lately *knocks on wood*

I bought it from amazon.com. :/

That's good to hear. :D I want to buy one of those now. haha

15. Nordiquefan

Nordiquefan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Forgive me if I'm breaking any forum rules linking other sites; I haven't had time to read the forum rules yet...imaging resource has a good comparison on performance with cards of different speeds with certain cameras they review. Here's the OM-D as one example.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/omd-em5/omd-em5A6.HTM

16. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Sandisk extreme pro (95mb/s). I've always used Sandisk -- Ultra or Extreme -- and
    have ever had a problem. Writes fast too.

17. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    For the past 11 months I've used the SanDisk 16 GB Ultra 30MB/s Class 10 cards and never had any trouble under demanding conditions such as for rapid fire sequential still shots or extended length videos.

So the faster and more expensive cards may be overkill.

18. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

Another sandisk extreme pro 95MB/s user here, my 16GB version never give me any trouble, and write fast

19. Salt Peanuts

Salt Peanuts Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Haj
    I use SanDisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s as well. I tend to to get faster cards mostly for faster imports into my computer.

20. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Count me in on that Sandisk as well. I needed another card for going away and the counterman at B&H recommended the SanDisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s.