What purpose EOS adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Streetshooter, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    My buddy just bought the GH1 with 14-140 kit.
    It arrived and he also got the Canon EOS adapter. What good is that adapter if you can't adjust fstops? He needs video and that's why he bought this camera, to use his "L" glass.

Now after 1 day, he's probably gonna send it all back to get a 5D 11.
    Any help appreciated......
    shooter

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, for that reason EOS glass doesn't seem the way to go for MFT, unless someone comes along and makes an adapter with that feature (or you happen to want to shoot wide open all the time).

OTOH, Canon FD lenses are much less expensive and offer full aperture control with an adapter.

3. tmessenger

tmessenger New to Mu-43

Mar 12, 2010
    Iowa USA
    I picked up a EOS to m4/3 adapter, this allows the use of many mf lenses that I already have adapted to EOS. There are many MF lens to EOS adapters for sale for around $10~$15 so this is a cheap way to convert a bunch of lenses.

Tim

4. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Thanks for the replies.
    Paul was looking to use his "L" glass.
    He's getting ready to sell the 5D and lenses...
    Shooter

5. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Apr 14, 2009
    You can use the EF lenses stopped down - pushing the DOF preview button down as you un-mount the lens from the Canon camera, the lens aperture will stay at the selected aperture . You are of course stuck at the f-stop you had selected, but at least you don't have to use the lens wide open.

I ordered an RJ EOS/MFT adapter just for this, plus I can use Olympus OM and Nikon F lenses since I already have the adapters for them to be used on the Canon EOS mount. I'm not planning to use this a lot, just experimenting a bit, so two adapters isn't too much of an inconvenience.

-Thomas

6. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Thomas,
    if I read you right, then carry the 5D, set the fstop, remove the lens, install the lens and be at the chosen fstop. I hope I am reading this wrong.
    Shooter

7. trisberg

Apr 14, 2009
    You are reading me right. Although a Rebel is lighter and would serve the same purpose :). Never said it would be convenient, just that it's possible to use ONE f-stop other than wide open.

-Thomas

8. dbateman

dbateman New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2010
    No he is right.

The current option for your friend is to buy the cheapest Used Canon EOS, on ebay or at a store. Add the lens to it, stop it down, pop the lens off and fire away on the GH1.

I have been doing the same with the Oly 70-300. Add it to my E3 focus, set Fstop, use the preview button on front of camera to stop the lens down. Then pop it off and add it to a EC14 EC20 Combination. Actually works quite well for crazy telephoto.

9. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    And all this time I've been missing my M cameras.
    I understand the idea, I get the concept and appreciate truely youse posting for this question.
    You guys must be Doctors cause here, the cure is far worse than the disease.

If Paul reads this, he'll get a kic out of the ingenuity of the solution.
    Thanks....

10. trisberg

Apr 14, 2009
    Hehe, Paul should keep his EOS cameras. They are actually pretty good. Once you start putting L-glass on an MFT camera you lose the size advantage and you might as well use an EOS camera.

The EOS adapter for EF lenses would only make sense for some occasional use. For other lenses like OM or Nikon F mounts it makes more sense since the usage is as convenient as with a dedicated adapter.

-Thomas

11. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I was just dreamin' ya know....
    Paul's walkin' down the street with the G1 in hand and the bbbbiiiiiiiggggg camera bag on the shoulder...then I asked him. Yo...what's up with the 5D in the bag.....
    it's not a camera, it's my fstop adjustment tool.....

I'd probably loose a 40+ year friendship....
    hehe...if he finds this thread...so be it...if not..all the better...
    thanks for the laff's....shooter