what programs do you use for your photos and raw jpeg taken with olympus om-d em-5?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by 100avchd, Apr 12, 2013.

1. 100avchd

100avchd Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2013
    hello friends,
    and software used for editing of your photos taken in RAW with the om-d em-5?
    you tell me about your experiences?
    I use Olympus Viewer 2 and 3.
    hello 100avchd

2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    I upload to Lightroom 4, and from there NIK.

Hello! Ciao!
  3. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Capture One and PS but that is probably me showing my age.
  4. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hallo !

Lightroom 4.4, all of the NIK plugins, and Photoshop

C U
  5. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I switched to Lightroom 4 recently after using Bibble/AfterShot Pro for years. The move was prompted by my switch to u43 - the E-PL5 isn't yet supported by AfterShot Pro (and probably never will be - Corel have acquired the software and they're killing it through negligence - but that's another story).

LR4 is pretty good, but it's slower than AfterShot Pro and usability is worse. So much for progress...
  7. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

I have both Nik and Topaz and both do admerable jobs on black and white. There is a great deal of differences in how each product approaches the problem but I don't find one better than the other. I do find Nik a bit less intuitive. I find Topaz a bit more agressive. Once you learn how to use either product the problems go away. For some reason Nik seems to get the higher scores by reviewers. If you are just interested in B&W you can buy the Topaz B&W effects for almost a quarter of the Nik packaged. if you want the whole package Niks pricing is hard to beat for what you get.
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
  9. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Lightroom 4.4. I found Olympus Studio very slow on my computers with no really affective way to deal with chroma noise. I find both Lightroom and Capture One much more versatile.

Topaz B+W Effects for black and white.
  10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I use Aperture + Photoshop.

Edit: every picture starts in Aperture.
  11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For raw dev LR4 - after that, oh my...

Digital Optics V++
    Cyanogen MaximDL
    Alpha Innotechs FluorChemQ analysis module (display tools are pretty sweet) - since I designed and built the system I might be a bit biased ...

Oh, and let's not forget

I'm sure there are 3-5 more that I'm not recalling ...
  12. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    Lightroom, lightroom, lightroom and lightroom!
    Sorry to repeat myself but it was a revolution for me in speed of cataloguing and editing a few hundred photos per outing down to the 20 or so favourites - makes life sooo much easier.

Before I used Faststone (before I found raw), and canon dpp (P&Shoot jpegs). Tried Olympus viewer and found it too frustratingly slow, also a host of open-source raw programs that didn't pull together speed/catalogue/editing together enough for me...then Lightroom halved in price, woohoo!
  13. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    I mainly use LR for raw and jpg's. I also have some Topaz plug ins I use with LR from time to time, Adjust, Detail, & DNoise. And I also recently bought the Huelight profiles for LR for my E-P3.

Other programs I use for general editing are the Gimp and I use Faststone as my default image viewer. I also like to play around with OV3 & Raw Therapee. If Raw Therapee adds local adjustment brushes it's going to be hard to beat when you consider it's free and it's extremely powerful raw editor.
  14. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    I originally bought DxO Optics when I had a Nikon D40.

What attracted me to DxO was the automatic correction of lens faults, including distortion, vignetting, CA and sharpness. It reads the EXIF data to find the camera and lens combination and applies the appropriate corrections.

Since I take a lot of architecture shots, mostly churches, and wide-angle interiors, these features save me a lot of time. And after 40 years of IT, I don't really want to spend hours in front of a post-processing programme.

Later I used it with a Nikon D7000, a Fuji X100 and my E-M5. Still very happy, since it gives me good results (for me) without much effort.

It has no cataloguing functions: I don't miss them, since I prefer to use a simple and systematic folder structure which makes it easy for me to find things and to back them up quickly.
  15. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I agree. I use Lightroom for everything, with a handful of plug ins for some additional capability. It's my catalog and my editor. Keywords/tags are your friends! Keep up with that and you can find any photo you've ever taken very quickly.
  16. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Probably too late if you already bought LR, but apparently you can just change the exif data to EM5 using exiftool and it works. Bit of a pain, but still an option.

Corel User to User Web Board • View topic - ASP with Oly E-PL5 (and probably E-PM2)

I use Aftershot Pro, though I am still using my e-pl2. I think it still represents pretty good bang for the buck and I sometimes see people post that they wish they could open the files without default corrections... Well if that is your wish, try ASP! I actually wish they could be applied, but if it must be done I can always fire up Oly Viewer.
  17. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    Me too!
  18. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Aperture is a great DAM, but I find C1 better for RAW.

19. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It was me who posted that on the ASP forum! I didn't persevere with it since I bought an OMD too and lost the ability to easily see which camera I'd used. In any case, it's clear that ASP is a dead product. No new camera support in over a year. It's only a matter of time before Corel pull it for sure. It's such a pity, Bibble 5 was a fantastic product.
  20. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Must also include Adobe DNG converter since LR3.6 does not support E-M5 raw.