What ppi for printing?

Discussion in 'Printing' started by DaveyA, Apr 18, 2013.

1. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    When setting up a print in LR3 should I set the print resolution myself or just leave the box unticked and let it sort itself out? I don't use the printer often enough to be honest and it is ages since I last made a serious attempt at printing one of my photographs. However, the last time I did print, the results were remarkably accurate but I cannot seem to replicate that now. I have used all of the same settings that I did previously but I can not remember how I set the resolution up last time. I have my monitor calibrated. I am using an oldish iMac and an Epson R1800 to print some stuff from my EM5. Also, what about 16 bit? I am not sure whether my system is 16 bit capable so I just leave it unchecked. Grateful for any help.
    Thanks.

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    For almost every Epson printer 360ppi is ideal although 240 is Ok for most.

A 16 bit file may aid in smoother tonal graduations in larger prints.

Gordon

3. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Thanks Gordon. I set the res to 360 and it has definitely improved things, much more like it. I have read your piece about colour management, it was very interesting. I will have to read it a couple more times for it to become clearer though. I am a bit slow with stuff like this.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I use 300 because that was the default density out of my Nikons.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Great if your printing on a Canon printer or sending out to half tone pre press. On an Epson you'll see an improvement at 360 because that's the native dot pitch of the printer.

Gordon

6. Wandering Aengus

Wandering Aengus Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2012
    Good rule is if the native resolution is less than 360, up res to 360. If native resolution is greater than 360, up res to 720.