What pouch or case are you using for your E-P1 or E-P2?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sparklehorse, Jun 22, 2010.

1. sparklehorse

sparklehorse Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    Hello!
    I still haven't found a case I like for the E-P1. I've tried this one:

Amazon.com: OP/Tech 8401134 Large Neoprene Pouch - Black: Electronics

And this one:

Amazon.com: Op/tech Soft Pouch Case for Digital Cameras - Black - #D-Compact: Electronics

They both work, but just barely. The fit is too tight for my liking with the 20mm pancake lens and the leather half case on the camera. Ideally I'd like to find something a little bigger that the camera and strap can be stuffed in quickly and removed quickly without a lot of fuss. Preferably a velcro closure or drawstring or quick release buckle. I carry my E-P1 w/20mm with me all the time in my day pack so I want something of minimal size to enclose/protect it, but that gives me quick access to it. Any ideas? What case/pouch have you found that you like?

Thanks for the help!

Gordon

2. CalebPhotographer

CalebPhotographer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Florida
    Just ordered this one from a fellow forum member:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks promising.

Originally purchased here.

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    This is very nice. It's a Tamrac Velocity 4. Very small, holds the body with almost any lens, an extra lens...batteries, cards....etc...

I use it just for a days shooting when I'm on just 1 body and maybe 2 lenses....
    Plus, it's a sling Pack and you can put it on as a waist pack...

Amazon.com: tamrac velocity 4

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
  5. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Sparklehorse,

I believe from your post that you are looking for something to carry you gear within a daypack or bag you already own. I do not own the following item from MountainSmith, but it is designed to do just that although it may be a little larger than you might prefer:

Mountainsmith

There is also a longer thread in the accessories sub-forum that you might find useful, if you haven't seen it already.

https://www.mu-43.com/f67/bags-more-bags-593/

• Like Like x 2
  6. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Boy of boy am I the only one that travels lightly? For me the µ-43 philosophy is all about great images with less gear. I carry an extra battery, a second memory card and a string monopod in my shirt pocket. I carry my camera and an extra lens in either my windbreaker pockets or cargo pants pockets. Right for the camera and left for the lens. When my camera is in my hand it is attached to my wrist with a Roots wrist strap. I often walk with my dog therefore I do carry a roll of poop-n-scoop bags, if I am caught in a sudden down pour they double as rain protectors for my camera. So I guess my pockets are my bags.

• Like Like x 2
  7. sparklehorse

sparklehorse Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    RE: Cases, Bags, Pouches, etc

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions fellas! I'm sure these are all great bags/cases, but they look too big for my intended purpose. What I'm looking for is probably somewhere between Djarum's Edit 100, and Grant's poop bag. Just a simple pouch really; something to easily slip the E-P1w/leather half case+20mm into. No extra lenses, cards, batteries. I actually have one of the Official Olympus cases, which is very nice, but for every day carry it's too fussy for me. Plus it doesn't protect the camera very well from rain, dust, or whatever might be floating around in my day pack. It needn't be made for camera gear, it just needs to be the right size and be very simple. No zippers, pockets, etc. Any other ideas out there?

Thanks!

Gordon

8. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
  9. Richard W

Richard W Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    Sydney Australia
    Have you tried a camera/lens wrap?

There are many different brands and sizes, but here's an example...

HonlPhoto Pro Wrap, Regular 16x16

Perhaps this might suit your needs? Put it in a plastic bag for ease of carrying. Simple.

10. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I like this retro bag. I've been looking for one for a while. Is it the small or medium size?

If anyone in Europe, UK, AUS or NZ wants to sell me one I'd gladly Paypal you. They don't sell them in the states.

11. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Something else to think of. While I don’t use a bag for my µ43 system I do use one for my Nikon. I favour the LowePro line. I have two bodies and 9 lenses so you can imagine it is hug, heavy and screams, “STEAL ME, I am a CAMERA bag.” I often know what I am going to shoot with so it is seldom used as it a carry around bag, it sits in the trunk of my car and from it I decant what I need. When I need a small bag to tote extra gear I have opted for a bag that is not at all like a camera bag and many of my friends do the same thing. Something discreet that hint of caring dirty underwear from the gym instead of camera gear will work. Because I am a bit too vain to go shooting with sweaty gym sock I have purchased a bag from a local artisan. I have a bag from SeaDogBag Company that is made from recycled sails. The bags very popular around here so walking around with one causes no attention. Now I am not suggesting that you move to Lunenburg Nova Scotia to get one, although you can get then on line, what I am suggestion is looking further afield than just camera bags is an option.

• Like Like x 2
  12. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    A Crumpler JimmyBo 500 (where do they get these names from?) just takes my E-P2 + 70-300mm - very snugly; with a smaller zoom I'd guess it would be roomy enough to slip in a pancake and a couple of spare batteries too.

Crumpler bags are pretty well made, and quite smart/street, and they don't scream “STEAL ME, I am a CAMERA bag.” (well, not too loudly anyway)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Consider its hovering around 98-99 today, a windbreaker isn't much of an option, LOL. I do keep mine in my jacket pocket during the winter.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Oh my those are obscene temperatures! I live right on the coast and it is very mild, so much so that we don't need air conditioning. Now for those blistering hot days of 22˚ C or 72˚ F. I have shorts that have huge pockets in them. :smile:

15. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

As an aside, Grant, what's the temperature like where you are in Nova Scotia in the winter?

16. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Gordon,

One alternative that may be perfect if you are looking for something smal and snug is the Delsey GoPix 40. I am attaching photos here of the bag with my GF1 and 20mm pancake attached. It fits snugly, has room for cards, wires and filters either in the main compartment or in the back zippered section. No room for an extra lens (unless it is the 40mm Summicron C) but I think this is exactly the size profile you seek.

It is well contructed (doesn't feel cheap at all) and has good internal padding with one movable divider.

Best of all, it is available to purchase for $7 plus S&H!

Delsey GOPIX 40 Case for camera suit - Gray, black Fabric

Apologies for the poor photos - handheld at less that 1/15th ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Given size of the E-p1 / e-p2 relative to the GF1, you shouldn't have to worry as to whether it would fit.

Best
    Stephen

• Like Like x 2
  17. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

I used to use domke inserts in any messenger style bag I had laying around and then early for Father's Day I received this:

[​IMG] *not my image but chosen because the luggage tag gives a good size comparison of how small this bag really is. The luggage tag is about the size of a business card.

It's a Domke F-3 in the waxwear finish (waxed canvas). I just got back from 1 week in New Orleans and then a week tour of Texas (Austin, San Antonio Corpus Christi & Houston) and I gotta say I love this bag. Plenty of room for everything and a perfect front pocket for an iPad.

The best part is the flex on the bag allows it to contour easily around whatever spot you wear it. It doesn't jostle around or shift much due to the gripper strap. It's light and very small with excellent storage on the inside. Comparatively it's about the size of the small crumpler bag but has about twice the storage on the inside. Padding is sufficient. If I had two pen bodies they would have both fit fine. I carried my E-P2 and my F100 with 50mm. I had the 17mm on the E-P2 and a 14-42 stored in the bag. A bag full of chargers & my phone, keys, iPad, maps, GPS and cigars all in this bag with some room to spare.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Frank,

I agree that the Domke F3 is a great bag for the m4/3 system - I have one in black (see third photo in my post immediately above yours) that I've had for 15 years. I use that 90% of the time for my gf1, Leica CL and Cannon G11 with 3-4 extra lenses and a fl36 unit.

Can also attest that it is comfortable for extended periods of time - used to cart my Nikon f3 with motordrive, 4 lenses and flash everywhere - it swallows gear.

For perspective, the Domke F-3 is about 4x the size of the Delsey GoPix 40 which I use when I just want one camera with one small lens. The GF1, CL and G11 fit perfectly inside and the padding is perfect for when you want something a little smaller and lower profile than the F-3.

Can attest that both are good choices - just used for different reasons.

Stephen

19. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

We live on the coast and the winter temperatures just under the freezing point, and it tends to be constant with few fluctuations. We get snow that last all winter but not tons of it. Inland they do have much more snow and a bit harsher conditions. Although this year's spring was an exceptionally nice one, spring is the less than perfect season as it seems to drag on for ever.

That being said temperatures are very localized where I live. Today was 20˚ C ( 68˚ F) and 10 miles inland it was 26˚ C ( 79˚ F) and 10 miles in the other direction on Crescent Beach it was foggy and 13˚ C ( 55˚ F)

20. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Thank you Grant. It sounds pretty temperate to me. It was at least 91 degrees F here just outside of NYC today, but we're by the coast so that does help.

One day I do hope to visit Nova Scotia - so keep those photos coming.:smile: