What potential new feature would make you buy the E-M1iii?

What single potential new feature would make you buy the E-M1iii?

• New sensor (higher Mp, notably better DR)

Votes: 31 30.1%
  • Improved EVF

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • AF joystick

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Hand held hi-res

Votes: 14 13.6%
  • Live ND

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Improved AF (incl "AI")

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • Sensor tweaks (lower base ISO, improved "coatings"/stack)

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Better JPEG processing - e.g. better NR with high ISO

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • GPS

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The problem with the poll is that a single feature being the only upgrade will not make it a success. In order to be successful successor to the EM1ii, it needs to have several updates, not just one.
Agree

For ME, unlike the EM1-mk1, the mk2 does not have any one glaring fault, that seriously affects my use of the camera.
So there is no ONE major fault to fix.
For me, it is a bunch of minor/smaller faults. And none of these faults is significant.
So, I will likely skip the mk3, and wait for the mk4, where I would expect a larger difference from the mk2.

And like the EM5-mk3, what everyone wants in an EM1-mk3 will be different.
I could care less about what others want, and they could care less about what I want. We each have our own laundry list.

A major upgrade problem is the sensor. Olympus is dependent on others for the sensor. So, for example, if Sony does not want to make a better m4/3 sensor for Olympus, then Olympus is stuck, and has to find someone else who can and will make a better sensor; Panasonic, Sharp, Samsung . . . .

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
A major upgrade problem is the sensor. Olympus is dependent on others for the sensor. So, for example, if Sony does not want to make a better m4/3 sensor for Olympus, then Olympus is stuck, and has to find someone else who can and will make a better sensor; Panasonic, Sharp, Samsung . . . .
Sony have several diffrent m43 sensors, but they want do a new sensor specified fo Olympus needs unless Olympus order and pay for one.

Catch22nm

Mu-43 Regular
Here's 43rumors.com's version of the leaked press release. Sounds interesting if true.
https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-olympus-e-miii-press-text-leaked/
Astrophotography AF mode is actually something I would really use ,. Not having to to manually focus on stars in the dark is something I've wanted for awhile. This camera is looking more interesting. Another thing,. If these leaks are correct Is the stabilization 7.5 and 7 stops the same as the Em1-X but better than than the em1mkII and em5MkIII? Or better improved over all Oly cameras?

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Astrophotography AF mode is actually something I would really use ,. Not having to to manually focus on stars in the dark is something I've wanted for awhile. This camera is looking more interesting. Another thing,. If these leaks are correct Is the stabilization 7.5 and 7 stops the same as the Em1-X but better than than the em1mkII and em5MkIII? Or better improved over all Oly cameras?
I think the 7.5 stops is when used with a lens with Sync-IS capability.
The problem is, currently there are only TWO lenses with Sync-IS; 12-100/4 and 300/4.
Some of the future lenses will have Sync-IS capability. But you have to wait for them to be released.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Animal eye focus. Sony has it and it works well. E-M1III does not seem to offer much improvement over E-M1II for those who shoot wildlife.

ripterr

New to Mu-43
I will be purchasing. I launched into the m43 system in November and picked up the EM5M3 with 300 f4 Pro and 12-40. I wanted the lightweight body for casual imaging with the 12-40, and to use with the 300mm until a newer EM1.x version came out. The upgrades look to support my needs...astrophotography and wildlife imaging. The additional stops of stabilization are welcomed. It will be my main body with the EM5 as backup.

Dave in Wales

Mu-43 All-Pro
I was hoping for a M1X EVF, but the advanced pictures seem to indicate otherwise

Pictures borrowed.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross

atomicmak

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mital Patel
Although it does not seem to change anything what we are discussing here from the launch of em1.3. but yes if someone is hearing us from olympus on here I really wish they work on C-AF performance and Video oriented features more with quality.

Real Name
Chris
I will be purchasing. I launched into the m43 system in November and picked up the EM5M3 with 300 f4 Pro and 12-40. I wanted the lightweight body for casual imaging with the 12-40, and to use with the 300mm until a newer EM1.x version came out. The upgrades look to support my needs...astrophotography and wildlife imaging. The additional stops of stabilization are welcomed. It will be my main body with the EM5 as backup.
I think you will like the ergonomic improvments over the M5 series. At least for me, that was a nice change when I moved from the M5-ii to the M1-ii a while back.

By the way... Great wildlife photos in your link. This gives me inspiration to get out and shoot more.

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
*rumorsite has just released a “leaked” price for the Japanese EM1mkiii, body only of, 217800¥. That is a *whopping* $2700CAD!

I for one will be sticking with my EM1mkii for years to come. :)

hoodlum

Mu-43 Veteran
*rumorsite has just released a “leaked” price for the Japanese EM1mkiii, body only of, 217800¥. That is a *whopping* $2700CAD!

I for one will be sticking with my EM1mkii for years to come. :)
It will be under $2500CAD at release and then drop to 2200-2300 by the fall. I won't be upgrading from my E-M1ii either, based on the specs that have been leaked so far. I splurged on a used 17mm f1.2 last week and will try to spend more time on non-bird photos this year.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom