What potential new feature would make you buy the E-M1iii?

What single potential new feature would make you buy the E-M1iii?

• New sensor (higher Mp, notably better DR)

Votes: 31 30.1%
  • Improved EVF

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • AF joystick

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Hand held hi-res

Votes: 14 13.6%
  • Live ND

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Improved AF (incl "AI")

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • Sensor tweaks (lower base ISO, improved "coatings"/stack)

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Better JPEG processing - e.g. better NR with high ISO

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • GPS

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wayne
Any of the ones on the list except the jpeg option. I would love for it to be equal to the E-M1X in performance and an improved EVF and controls like the E-M1X including the AF joystick. I own both the E-M1 Mkii and the E-M1X and the E-M1X performs better.
Well of course the M1X performs better it has dual processors. So you sounds you would like a M1X in a smaller package.

getoutandshoot

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
It makes sense that the most popular answer is a "new sensor with higher MP and better DR." But when this thread/survey was posted, we already knew with fairly high certainty that the sensor in the E-M1III will be the same as the E-M1x (which I think was pretty much the same as the E-M1II). It is a little disappointing that we are not getting any major sensor improvement after what, 3 full years since the E-M1II? Of course it would be wonderful to get a major improvement to the sensor, but I decided a long time ago that the sensors in my current cameras are "good enough" and not a major limitation or need for me.

What I need most is more practice, more time with the camera. I need to "get out and shoot" more often; that will naturally increase my opportunities and help me get more good images, and that is more important than any added feature with my equipment.

But after that, if I were to point to one thing in the camera itself that would help me, for my bird photography, and especially birds in flight (BIF), I would point to better, faster, and smarter continuous AF. So that was my choice, and indeed it is the most popular choice for everyone after the sensor. Olympus clearly made image stabilization a top priority for a long time, and the related high resolution technology. Now that they finally reached their goal of "hand-held high res" shooting, I hope they shift their priority to the AF, including special AI algorithms for BIF.

I'd also really like to see a better higher resolution EVF, even if it sucks a little more battery life, and even though maybe the current lower res EVF doesn't limit me (and for that matter, improved battery life would rank higher for me than 2 or 3 things on the list).

I'm going to try hard to resist paying full price to immediately upgrade to the E-M1III. For one thing, with the E-M1x price a little lower now at $2500, that's only a $500 difference if the E-M1III is $2K... It's basically "a wash" if I can find a used or refurb E-M1x. I still don't like the increased size/weight of the E-M1x, but I'm going to look past that and seriously reconsider the E-M1x before I get the E-M1III. Anyone else thinking that way?

Dave

Last edited:

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
It makes sense that the most popular answer is a "new sensor with higher MP and better DR." But when this thread/survey was posted, we already knew with fairly high certainty that the sensor in the E-M1III will be the same as the E-M1x (which I think was pretty much the same as the E-M1II). It is a little disappointing that we are not getting any major sensor improvement after what, 3 full years since the E-M1II? Of course it would be wonderful to get a major improvement to the sensor, but I decided a long time ago that the sensors in my current cameras are "good enough" and not a major limitation or need for me.

What I need most is more practice, more time with the camera. I need to "get out and shoot" more often; that will naturally increase my opportunities and help me get more good images, and that is more important than any added feature with my equipment.

But after that, if I were to point to one thing in the camera itself that would help me, for my bird photography, and especially birds in flight (BIF), I would point to better, faster, and smarter continuous AF. So that was my choice, and indeed it is the most popular choice for everyone after the sensor. Olympus clearly made image stabilization a top priority for a long time, and the related high resolution technology. Now that they finally reached their goal of "hand-held high res" shooting, I hope they shift their priority to the AF, including special AI algorithms for BIF.

I'd also really like to see a better higher resolution EVF, even if it sucks a little more battery life, and even though maybe the current lower res EVF doesn't limit me (and for that matter, improved battery life would rank higher for me than 2 or 3 things on the list).

I'm going to try hard to resist paying full price to immediately upgrade to the E-M1III. For one thing, with the E-M1x price a little lower now at $2500, that's only a $500 difference if the E-M1III is $2K... It's basically "a wash" if I can find a used or refurb E-M1x. I still don't like the increased size/weight of the E-M1x, but I'm going to look past that and seriously reconsider the E-M1x before I get the E-M1III. Anyone else thinking that way?

Dave
I bet lots of folks wouldn’t buy the em1x anyway because it’s too big for their liking.

Dave
I think you nailed it. Better EVF making it easier to manually tweak focus and better C-AF but also easier to use.
I find it curious that Oly Execs say that wildlife is a priority for them but then release ML algorithms that only target cars, planes and trains... does a large share of Oly photographers mostly shoot these? If so why talk nonstop about birders?

For me personally (wildlife, BIF) the mark 2 was an expensive and huge disappointment and even with the current FW I find the AF to be at best 50% reliable and then only if you engage in complex tweaks to the settings.
The last Oly I really enjoyed using was the EM1-Mark 1, the Mark 2 was much more complicated and IMO not particularly well thought out and I am always worried that some hidden setting has magically changed and will end up screwing up my shoot.

I will wait and see if they can improve the EVF and the C-AF and also make the camera more pleasant to use, for me it is a hobby and that matters too.

The Em1mk2 is pretty good to start with. I think marginal improvements is smart. Personally, I'd like a better sensor, but it's pretty good and Olympus has to rely on other parties for that. The obvious improvements would be better resolution on both screens, better menu system, and improved codecs/fps for video.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Regular
I find it curious that Oly Execs say that wildlife is a priority for them but then release ML algorithms that only target cars, planes and trains... does a large share of Oly photographers mostly shoot these? If so why talk nonstop about birders?
They keep mentioning that because they are working on it. But it is not an easy task to develop a precise bird algorithm. Still how it will work, which bird will be a priority for AF decision? I expect the same dilemma we have now with face/eye AF - in general a camera should choose the nearest face/eye/bird/player/sailor... in the frame but sometimes you want a different behaviour. All these AI tracking modes should be adjustable - quickly - by a user - otherwise it might not be so useful.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Nothing would convince me to spend $2k on a new m43 body.
Count me among those who won't pay $2000 for a micro fourth-thirds camera. Ditto for lenses that cost more than $1000.
Same here. For me, I simply can not justify spending over a grand for any piece of photography equipment. Not to say I don't have equipment that retailed new for over a grand (my E-M1, my 12-100 PRO, etc.), just that *I* would never spend that much. I always wait until the second hand or refurb prices of the equipment I want comes down to a price I am willing to pay. It will be a LONGGGGGG time before I see an E-M1.3 in my possession. But someday perhaps. I will just live vicariously through the rest of you people. :thumbup:

bbarnett51

Mu-43 Top Veteran
When talking price, $2k for a flagship camera isn’t too much. That’s why they make EM5 and EM10s. If I weren’ta working photographer I would grab the latest em10, 3 prime’s, and the 75-300ii and call it day. Light, affordable, and great results.

Real Name
M@
Well, I'm not a pro, and I recently bought an E-M5 MkIII (after having the OG E-M5 and the MkII).

I would like to see things like a better sensor, better DR, faster processors with better AF and better video modes.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
When talking price, $2k for a flagship camera isn’t too much. That’s why they make EM5 and EM10s. If I weren’ta working photographer I would grab the latest em10, 3 prime’s, and the 75-300ii and call it day. Light, affordable, and great results.
I've been an E-M10 user for the last 6 years or so (I'm old, I don't remember). I agree it's a great camera, but I think the new E-M5 III offers quite a bit of "bang" for the buck. It's almost the same size as the E-M10, and crams the most important (to me) features of the E-M1 into its body.

I don't consider $2k for a pro level camera too expensive. I think I've said this on this forum before, but we have to ditch the idea that m43s is a lesser system, worthy only of a lesser price. Quite a few cameras sell for more that might match the "One's" build quality, but don't match the features it offers. It isn't 'wrong' to want a cheaper camera, but I do think it is unrealistic to think the flagship of the fleet is overpriced at $2k.

swifty

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
I'd like to see:
Faster bandwidth sensor (both for read speed and EVF improvements)
Higher quality EVF panel and optics.
Multi-aspect ratio sensor
Improved right-side one-handed operation of all important shooting functions (so inclusive of AF joystick).
Generally very responsive operations, everything from startup to switching between shooting/playback, EVF wake-up, button press responses etc.

To be honest, this isn't an E-M1.3 specific list. I'd like my next camera, whatever that might be to include some of those improvements.

Real Name
Roel
Very good points mentioned in this thread made me realize that i) I don't expect the image quality will be a huge step forward ii) the step-up in other functionality would not matter that much to my photography.

I did postpone the purchase of the second body waiting on a mark 2 and then the em-1x. Both very capable camera's but again not a huge improvement of my photography.. so I bit the bullet and am now actively looking for a second E-M1.1.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I did postpone the purchase of the second body waiting on a mark 2 and then the em-1x. Both very capable camera's but again not a huge improvement of my photography.. so I bit the bullet and am now actively looking for a second E-M1.1.
If it was not for the fact that I shoot sports, my 2nd EM1 body would have been another EM1-mk1.
Especially at the prices that the used ones are going for.

Something is fishy in that press release text, notice under the starry af paragraph, it mentions "telephotorumors" lenses

Something's not right if you ask me.

Also the "new" EM1iii is basically an EM1X which is basically a EM1ii with grip. Notice there isn't any mention of new EVF or a joystick, rumors on 43rumors menion it will use the same battery grip that's used on the EM1ii. The only new feature is starry af, everything else are carry over features already found on the EM1x and EM1ii. It doesn't look like we're getting a new camera, just another iteration of the EM1ii.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Well, I guess we'll find out the veracity of the "leak" soon enough. I wouldn't dismiss it completely though. It could be a draft of a marketing mail that got intercepted/copied, or maybe someone retyped it and made a mistake.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
If it's true and complete, then the improvements (over the mk 2) for stills shooters are very modest:

- HHHR
- Some improved AF features (eye/face, starry sky)
- Joystick
- Wifi tethering
- IBIS improvements (again)

I can't see many rushing out to spend $2k or more for such modest upgrades. Really disappointed that there's no new EVF.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Something is fishy in that press release text, notice under the starry af paragraph, it mentions "telephotorumors" lenses

Something's not right if you ask me.

Also the "new" EM1iii is basically an EM1X which is basically a EM1ii with grip. Notice there isn't any mention of new EVF or a joystick, rumors on 43rumors menion it will use the same battery grip that's used on the EM1ii. The only new feature is starry af, everything else are carry over features already found on the EM1x and EM1ii. It doesn't look like we're getting a new camera, just another iteration of the EM1ii.
Apart from that funny typo, it is likely a draft.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom