What Picture Size To Use?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by PR1Y35H, May 4, 2012.

1. PR1Y35H

PR1Y35H Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 5, 2012
    Hi All, I was using my Gf2 and came across a setting which I have no idea of. It's the image size like 3.2, 4.3 and so on, which one do I keep it on and which is the standard size?

Thanks

2. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    If I understand correctly what it means, set it to 4.3, as that's the aspect ratio and in a 4/3 system (whether it be micro or not), 4:3 ratio would use the full sensor.

3.2 would be more like good old 35mm...

What I am not certain about is what happens while shooting RAW.

More info here:
    Four Thirds system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Anything other than 4:3 just crops out some of the sensor area. You can accomplish the same thing by shooting in 4:3 and cropping later, on the computer. However, if you never use the computer, and just take the images straight out the camera, then using these options to crop in-camera make be advantageous. One other advantage of setting it in-camera: it also change the crop in the viewfinder, which may make it easier for you to see how the final image will look.

As far as which to use, the answer is the one that best fits your subject. Shooting a landscape? The wider look of 3:2 or 16:9 might be good. But for other subjects 4:3 might work better, or even 1:1 (square). 3:2 and 16:9 will fit the typical widescreen LCD monitor better than 4:3, if that matters to you. 16:9 is HD TV format if that's how you view your images.

Finally, 3:2 is close to the "golden rectangle," which is a classic proportion for painters and is an aspect ratio that people find "pleasing."

Short answer: There's no "right" aspect ratio. Choose what works for you, or leave it at 4:3 and crop later.

4. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    The right aspect ratio is 3:2 :smile: